16x9 Video From Dvd Will Only Import As A 4.3 Squeezed Video

Pilotdug

Question

Hi. I have a Sony DVD Camcorder that has the option of recording either in 4x3 or 16x9 aspect ratio (standard def). When I try to import a 16x9 video using Media Creator 10, it will only import as a squeezed 4x3 image. I've tried converting the video files over to mpeg, Divx and wmv in various sizes, but it always creates a squeezed 4x3 file. It does this when I use the Capture Video utility and also when I try to use the native .ifo files from the DVD in VideoWave (and selecting a 16x9 project). No matter what I do, it still ends up as a squeezed 4x3. Any ideas? Is the software just not capable of dealing with 16x9? I'm downloading a trial copy of Adobe Premiere Elements 4 to see if I have any better results with a different product.

5 answers to this question

No , there isn't a way to force the video to 16:9 if the file doesn't have the proper flag in the header within EMC. However, there is a shareware app called SDCopy that will. Check at the top of this AV Capture for the pinned JVC topic. YOu can have the app search for 'VOB' extension. It will then copy the file to your hard drive, change the extension and change the 16:9 all in one step. It works well with JVC files. Let us know if it works with miniDVD files, too.

The EMC site lists my DVD Camcorder as a compliant device. Also, I"m not importing directly from the DVD Camcorder. I'm importing from a finished DVD which displays properly when played back.

I did do a search before posting, but did not find anything specific to this problem.

What other applications work? Roxio support was useless on this matter.

Thanks,

Doug

If you had done a search on the forum, there is a problem with how Sony records 16:9. Also JVC has a similar problem. EMC has no way to 'force' these files into being compliant. Other applications can do that though.

Hi. I have a Sony DVD Camcorder that has the option of recording either in 4x3 or 16x9 aspect ratio (standard def). When I try to import a 16x9 video using Media Creator 10, it will only import as a squeezed 4x3 image. I've tried converting the video files over to mpeg, Divx and wmv in various sizes, but it always creates a squeezed 4x3 file. It does this when I use the Capture Video utility and also when I try to use the native .ifo files from the DVD in VideoWave (and selecting a 16x9 project). No matter what I do, it still ends up as a squeezed 4x3. Any ideas? Is the software just not capable of dealing with 16x9? I'm downloading a trial copy of Adobe Premiere Elements 4 to see if I have any better results with a different product.

I am also having this problem. I have a Canon DC40 Widescreen miniDvD camera, WinXP Multi-Media os. I've tried renaming the .VOB files to mpg but that doesn't work. Using EMC I've imported the video files direct from the miniDvD and the video quality is good but it is squeezed. There is an options that reads "Output Resolution (based on a 4:3 input video): I cannot find a way to change this. Does anyone know?

Archived