• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Blue Ray On Dvd-r Media

Judboy

Question

I have selected DVD before Saving as Disc Image or Burning a DVD-R. I get a BDMV and a CERTIFICATE folder doing it both ways. Is this right? How do I play this on the MAC? Is this just for the Blue Ray or Playstation players? I do have version 9.0.2 I tried to play with the Toast Video Player, but it is very choppy and out of sync. Thanks.

14 answers to this question

I have put nearly 1 hour of HD on DVD DL also. MPG4 AVC does fairly decent converting QT .MOV files from FCS2 except full frame fast motion where noticeably blurring occurs. This no matter what setting on bit rate you choose, including half pel.

Is there a secret to this? I'm trying to burn HD content onto a standard DVD but it won't play in my Sharp BD-HP20U.

I to have the Sharp-bd-hp20u, with the latest firmware. I have not been able to burn high def content on to a standard dvd-r using the blu-ray burning option in Toast. The disc finishes fine, but is unplayable in my aquos blu-ray player. I was able to burn an hd-dvd of the same content that did in fact play on my hd-dvd player. While this was cool, it is kind of annoying because I don't plan on keeping my now useless Hd-dvd player for much longer once blu-ray players finally go down in price. I would like to know if anyone has had any success burning blu-ray media onto standard dvd or dvd-dl's.

Yes you need an actual blu ray machine to play the disc back on. The mac will just read the disc and show you the files.

The whole point of blu ray on dvd-r is to use cheaper media (dvd-r) instead of blu ray media - you get about 30 minutes of hi def on standard dvd but that perfectly fine by me....

You can take your files and create a normal dvd under ' dvd media ' instead of blu ray and that disc should play on a mac or normal dvd player. Anything under blu ray is for that specific player regardless of the media used.

I personally recommend the PS3 because its a blu ray player and a media machine to boot ... you can copy .mts , divx , mp4 , mp3 files right to its hard drive and oh ya it plays games too .... combine that with a avchd camcorder and your swinging in hi def.

I tried burning a 1 hour program captured using EyeTV. It only provided sound from the PS3, no video. It did however play back on my Mac with Toast Video Player with good audio and video. Maybe I need to read the manual.

I to have the Sharp-bd-hp20u, with the latest firmware. I have not been able to burn high def content on to a standard dvd-r using the blu-ray burning option in Toast. The disc finishes fine, but is unplayable in my aquos blu-ray player. I was able to burn an hd-dvd of the same content that did in fact play on my hd-dvd player. While this was cool, it is kind of annoying because I don't plan on keeping my now useless Hd-dvd player for much longer once blu-ray players finally go down in price. I would like to know if anyone has had any success burning blu-ray media onto standard dvd or dvd-dl's.

I've been able to successfully burn a Blu-Ray disc onto DVD-R media. The discs I've made are playable on Sony 300 set-top BLu-Ray players and PlayStation3, but did NOT work on a Sharp unit. Maybe you're not burning it wrong, but rather the Sharp player cannot read the format.

Some things I've found with experimentation:

- Can only encode HD material as MPEG-2. MPEG-4 AVC gives me an error during encoding

- Bitrate must stay below 15 Mbps for Playstation to read the disc as Blu-Ray; otherwise it treats it as a data disc

- When you go to burn or save as a disc image, the format pull-down must be set to "DVD", which seems counter-intuitive to authoring a BD.

So far I've been successful at authoring BD-5 discs from DVCPRO HD footage shot & edited in 720p. Haven't tried any 1080 material yet.

I've been able to successfully burn a Blu-Ray disc onto DVD-R media. The discs I've made are playable on Sony 300 set-top BLu-Ray players and PlayStation3, but did NOT work on a Sharp unit. Maybe you're not burning it wrong, but rather the Sharp player cannot read the format.

Some things I've found with experimentation:

- Can only encode HD material as MPEG-2. MPEG-4 AVC gives me an error during encoding

- Bitrate must stay below 15 Mbps for Playstation to read the disc as Blu-Ray; otherwise it treats it as a data disc

- When you go to burn or save as a disc image, the format pull-down must be set to "DVD", which seems counter-intuitive to authoring a BD.

So far I've been successful at authoring BD-5 discs from DVCPRO HD footage shot & edited in 720p. Haven't tried any 1080 material yet.

Well don't you think that Roxio needs to fix something, your doing way to much work and have way to many limitations, just to be able to play a dvd-r on a blu-ray player. The Hd-dvd that I burnt on to Dvd-r was at 1080i, and did not require any manipulation of the bitrate, it was burned in h.264 or avc/hd. To be honest I don't think you can even say you've been successful in burning because you had to stay in the mpeg 2 realm. These guys at Roxio really need to create an update for the plug-in specifically, so we can get this thing to work as advertised, I don't get how they could release a feature, that doesn't work, surely they knew it didn't work to begin with. If not then Roxio needs to publish on what machines they got the blu-ray plugin to work using dvd-r prior to releasing the software and the plugin.

If you are burning 1 hour of video, you should use a Blu-ray burner and Blu-ray media or just stick to the DVD format. 1 hour of HD video wont fit (with any kind of decent quality) on a DVD disc.

Yes, I thought about that afterwards. Last night I also tried editing a small iMovie project with some HD 1080i/p content and exporting it at high resolution. I then dragged that into Toast 9 and burnt a Blu-Ray CD :-) that didn't seem to work either. I need to read the manual some more and also try a HD project on a DVD.

There didn't seem to be a way to specify the HD resolution in Toast for Blu-Ray content. Is that done with the editing software. The slider ...Best...Better didn't seem intuitive as to what you were getting on the final disk.

Thanks for the reply.

I have selected DVD before Saving as Disc Image or Burning a DVD-R. I get a BDMV and a CERTIFICATE folder doing it both ways. Is this right? How do I play this on the MAC? Is this just for the Blue Ray or Playstation players? I do have version 9.0.2 I tried to play with the Toast Video Player, but it is very choppy and out of sync. Thanks.

Yes you need an actual blu ray machine to play the disc back on. The mac will just read the disc and show you the files.

The whole point of blu ray on dvd-r is to use cheaper media (dvd-r) instead of blu ray media - you get about 30 minutes of hi def on standard dvd but that perfectly fine by me....

You can take your files and create a normal dvd under ' dvd media ' instead of blu ray and that disc should play on a mac or normal dvd player. Anything under blu ray is for that specific player regardless of the media used.

I personally recommend the PS3 because its a blu ray player and a media machine to boot ... you can copy .mts , divx , mp4 , mp3 files right to its hard drive and oh ya it plays games too .... combine that with a avchd camcorder and your swinging in hi def.

Toast tries to just keep the quality of the video as high as possible. If you choose the Blu-ray format and simply use DVD media, Toast will preserve the HD quality, but you wont be able to fit very much of it on your disc.

OK, thanks, I'll give it a try over the weekend.

Toast tries to just keep the quality of the video as high as possible. If you choose the Blu-ray format and simply use DVD media, Toast will preserve the HD quality, but you wont be able to fit very much of it on your disc.

Is there a secret to this? I'm trying to burn HD content onto a standard DVD but it won't play in my Sharp BD-HP20U.

I haven't succeed yet but I did try to put 1 hr onto a DVD, I think the limit is about 30 min, maybe a little less. All I got was audio, no video. I'm guessing my short movie on a CD didn't work because it was a CD.

Archived