Toast 9.0.2 Still Incompatible With Lg Ggw-h20l And Macpro Sata

MikeBar

Question

Toast 9.0.2 still crashes (freeze requiring a force quit) if blu-ray disk is put in the LG GGW-H20L drive attached to the SATA port of a MacPro.

Burning DVDs or CDs and Lightscribe work just fine with the drive on the SATA bus.

I've seen several other forums with users with the LG drive that state the same thing. Toast, both 8 and 9, freezes when a blu-ray disk is inserted. This can occur just trying to get the Disk Info... or actually trying to write to the disk.

If the drive is connected to the MacPro using a SATA to IDE or SATA to USB adapter the blu-ray works just fine so the issue is only on the SATA bus.

Mike

Newer Tech makes an inexpensive eSATA connector that brings the two motherboard SATA ports out the back end of the Mac Pro through one of the empty PCIe slot covers. http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php

Keith

Ah yes of course, that explains it! I actually have a Newertech kit but never got round to fitting it as the instructions and reports were so offputting. I found I could put an L cable straight on the motherboard and up into the optical drive bay without removing anything, and have my LG internal which I prefer.

I tried to submit a tech support request to LG yesterday on this subject, but their website defeated me, so I'll try phoning them today. Not optimistic that I will get any kind of answer.

Mike

I have just joined the "LG GGW-H20L connected by SATA not burning BD disks in Toast" club and have been trawling the forums for any new info.

Like for others, it works fine connected by a SATA/USB bridge, and BD burning with Finder works when connected SATA. CD and DVD all works with SATA and Toast.

There was another thread (here I think) which seemed to say that a number of other brands were working correctly with Toast and SATA, which makes it begin to look like a pass-the-buck situation: LG blames Roxio, Roxio blames LG.

Not sure now whether the fix is a Toast patch or LG firmware. BTW my firmware is YLO2/MMC-3 according to Toast.

Anyone have any new info?

Thanks

Mike

PS A tip I thought worth passing on for anyone going this route, is that I was able to make the connection to the SATA motherboard ports without removing the fan assembly, which is a big and tricky job. I just removed the top screw to the fan assembly which allowed it to move a tenth inch away from the motherboard, which was enough to winkle an L connector onto the lower SATA.

I think there may be a bug in the LG firmware- I don't know. What I do know is that the Apple burning utilities work properly with this drive as is in full SATA mode- I'm using mine that way as an external, eSATA drive. I think Roxio should buy one of these drives and test it. You can't make the assumption that if BD drive works, they all work. The the Blu-Ray technology is still relatively new.

Keith

I have just joined the "LG GGW-H20L connected by SATA not burning BD disks in Toast" club and have been trawling the forums for any new info.

Like for others, it works fine connected by a SATA/USB bridge, and BD burning with Finder works when connected SATA. CD and DVD all works with SATA and Toast.

There was another thread (here I think) which seemed to say that a number of other brands were working correctly with Toast and SATA, which makes it begin to look like a pass-the-buck situation: LG blames Roxio, Roxio blames LG.

Not sure now whether the fix is a Toast patch or LG firmware. BTW my firmware is YLO2/MMC-3 according to Toast.

Thanks

Mike

PS A tip I thought worth passing on for anyone going this route, is that I was able to make the connection to the SATA motherboard ports without removing the fan assembly, which is a big and tricky job. I just removed the top screw to the fan assembly which allowed it to move a tenth inch away from the motherboard, which was enough to winkle an L connector onto the lower SATA.

I think there may be a bug in the LG firmware- I don't know. What I do know is that the Apple burning utilities work properly with this drive as is in full SATA mode- I'm using mine that way as an external, eSATA drive. I think Roxio should buy one of these drives and test it. You can't make the assumption that if BD drive works, they all work. The the Blu-Ray technology is still relatively new.

Keith

Toast 9.0.2 still crashes (freeze requiring a force quit) if blu-ray disk is put in the LG GGW-H20L drive attached to the SATA port of a MacPro.

Burning DVDs or CDs and Lightscribe work just fine with the drive on the SATA bus.

I've seen several other forums with users with the LG drive that state the same thing. Toast, both 8 and 9, freezes when a blu-ray disk is inserted. This can occur just trying to get the Disk Info... or actually trying to write to the disk.

If the drive is connected to the MacPro using a SATA to IDE or SATA to USB adapter the blu-ray works just fine so the issue is only on the SATA bus.

Mike

I've got the same exact issue. Works fine with the Apple Finder burner, non-BD media (DVD, CD) works fine. I'm also attached by eSATA. The error message is as follows:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = UNIT ATTENTION

Sense Code = 0x29

POWER ON, REST, OR BUS DEVICE RESET OCCURRED

Keith W.

Keith

According to this post

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...st&p=192650

Patatrox said he was going to hook up one of these drives and test it in a MacPro. Assuming he did this, my guess is, it did not work and Roxio does not yet have a fix.

Mike :(

Thanks

Mike

MacElroy,

found this link around here on the forum.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=379994

Does this make any sense to you? Must admin I havent reaaly understood if there´s actually no SATA connection to the cd/dvd drive bay on the mac pro? Where have you connected your burner?

Theres quite a few threads about this now :)

You just need to get a 24 inch SATA cable with a right angle connector on one end. I was able to fish it from the optical bay to the SATA connector on the motherboard without difficulty. Then you just attach the SATA optical drive with this connector instead of the IDE connector and use a SATA power adapter to connect the power. Works great except for blu-ray with the GGW-H20L drive with Toast. Even the lightscribe works great.

Mike

all right, thanks MikeBar that makes sense! Now we just need to make sure Roxio solves the blu-ray burning problem..

Two more questions.. Can I connect to the SATA on the motherboard even if I have HDs in all 4 bays?

And I remember you said that if GGW-H20L was connected via IDE connector blu-ray burning works in Toast? Is that correct? Are there any downsides to this in that case?

Thanks for sheding some light :)

Keith

Thanks Keith and MikeBar,

Your replies confirm my uncertainty about whether the fix lies with Roxio or LG.

Would be good to hear whether Patatrox has tried the LG yet.

You say you are using it externally, connected eSATA. How is the eSATA connected to the computer? I tried mine connected to a Sonnet E4P and it didn't work at all...not seen by computer. Works fine connected to the motherboard SATA.

Mike

all right, thanks MikeBar that makes sense! Now we just need to make sure Roxio solves the blu-ray burning problem..

Two more questions.. Can I connect to the SATA on the motherboard even if I have HDs in all 4 bays?

And I remember you said that if GGW-H20L was connected via IDE connector blu-ray burning works in Toast? Is that correct? Are there any downsides to this in that case?

Newer Technology makes an extender cable that brings the two hidden SATA ports (behind the fans on the top front of the motherboard.)

http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php

Once you have that installed, you can put the GGW-H20L inside a 5-1/4" eSATA case (I bought mine from NewEgg) and you're set to go.

There is a bug in Toast 9 (9.0.2) It is NOT the drive. The drive works perfectly with the MacOS tools (disk utility.) Hope this helps you.

Keith W.

Yes, you can use the two mother board SATA plugs for the optical bays but you just need the cables. These are separate from the 4 SATA ports that the hard drive bays use. Somewhere there are pictures of the cable being run from the SATA ports to the optical bay that I found on google but I don't have the address handy.

Yes the blu-ray burning does work if you have a SATA to IDE adapter (I have the adonics one) the problem is that the two IDE plugs on the supplied IDE cable are too close together to use both the apple super drive and the LG drive with the adapter attached.

Mike

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/678

here's how to connect your LG to your hidden sata ports on a Mac Pro.

(Which I don't recommend because i had no luck)

I just ordered a Rosewill SATA to USB connector for my mac pro.

Now it's connected via USB.

Toast now sees the LG just fine w/and w/out BR-REs in the drive!

but I still CAN'T burn a blu ray video becuase half way through I get 2 error messages.

The first one is "The file 00001.m2ts could not be accessed (Data fork, -39)"

The second is "Counltn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS Error. Result Code = -39"

I've tried 3 separate times with different clips attempting to burn a Blu Ray video on a BD-RE disc

I'm just about ready to by adobe encore, at least that's proven to actually burn blu rays.

I've found a workaround until the bug is fixed: Save project to an image, mount the image with the Finder Mounter, burn BD with Disk Utility burner. Works just fine.

Keith W.

Thanks I will have to try it, I agree hopefully Roxio will get this fixed soon.

Mike

How do you guys get the LG drive to work with Toast 9.0.2? I PM'd Patatrox but have not heard back. I read you need a beta update. Can anyone email that to me? Just PM me and I will send you my email address.

Thanks for your help.

I PMed him as well per other member's suggestions who were lucky enough to get the software, and I've had no response. And support is a joke, they just say it doesn't exist.

It's really annoying to be ignored, but Roxio has a monopoly on Mac burning software so they have a lot less motivation to improve things than they would if there were some competition.

I've been waiting patiently for 9.0.3 to fix this problem as well as the ever present -50 problem, and was willing to give the beta a shot in the interim, but apparently I am not one of the chosen few.

I am not a happy camper, and very disappointed with the software & service on this version.

I've found a workaround until the bug is fixed: Save project to an image, mount the image with the Finder Mounter, burn BD with Disk Utility burner. Works just fine.

Keith W.

I'm another one suffering this same issue, so I was glad to read your workaround. However, when I try to burn the .toast disc image file that I created, I get an error telling me 'the resource is temporarily unavailable' I created the disc image from within toast, is this correct? or is there another way to do that?

Thanks

Andy Matheson

This is not a problem with the LG-drive. As you can see in my original post I do have the exact same issue with a Plextor B-920SA. Same connection, same thing. Writing everything goes just fine, but as soon as you try to address any BD media, Toast comes to a halt (spinning beach ball).

This is definitely a Toast-bug. Did you try to burn any RW-media in the LG-drive? Because that's not working for me either.

i.

this is a response to my questions regarding this Drive and Sata connection.

Apparently, there's no issue?.. - we all know there is though.

Okay, I'm still having the same problem. Whenever I try to burn Blu Ray Discs with the LG GGW-H20L from Toast 9. I get the same frozen screen and error. I have an attachment of the error I receive.

Also, I'm running 9.0.2, so the update did not solve this issue. Is there an issue with this drive attached to a Mac Pro via sata? I've written 2 other times about this issue and it's still not resolved, ticket number (542121) and (540108). I would like a refund if this issue persists.

A Roxio Agent has responded to your ticket! (# 542427)

Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

There are no known issues with any drives. Can you burn to a disc image, then burn that to disc? Is there any firmware update for your new drive? Please try these: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Toast/000013T

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

Thanks Keith and MikeBar,

Your replies confirm my uncertainty about whether the fix lies with Roxio or LG.

Would be good to hear whether Patatrox has tried the LG yet.

You say you are using it externally, connected eSATA. How is the eSATA connected to the computer? I tried mine connected to a Sonnet E4P and it didn't work at all...not seen by computer. Works fine connected to the motherboard SATA.

Mike

Newer Tech makes an inexpensive eSATA connector that brings the two motherboard SATA ports out the back end of the Mac Pro through one of the empty PCIe slot covers. http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php

Keith

Mike

Can you burn to Blu-ray disc in Finder with this drive?

Archived