• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Inspired

Burning Dl Dvd Using Toast 9.02 With Ps3 Compatibility

Question

I am trying to figure out what the best media is to use to burn blu-ray, without using a blu-ray burner. It needs to be compatible with PS3.

I have a wedding video shot in HDV then transferred to iMovie.

I have several options according to Toast.

I can burn a mpeg-4 blu-ray disc to DVD-R which will be 3GB.

I can burn a mpeg-4 blu-ray disc to DVD-R Dual layer at around 6GB.

The BD version on best quality comes in at around 8.85GB.

And then I can play with the bitrates, but I do not know if this wise as I'm sure that Roxio have chosen the best settings in automatic.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't have a PS3 to test it on.

Will the DL version be a much better quality and will it play on the PS3? It is double the file size, but that might not necessarily mean double the quality.

3 answers to this question

I believe its more of a space on media and time issue...

dvd-r will yield about 30 minutes of HD video while the dvd-DL would get the hour at the highest quality setting.

I personally do not like using DL media because of the layer break ... try using dvd-r's first and see if you can live with the 30 minute limit... like the wedding ceremony on one disc the party on the other ... etc... the key would be to breakup your video into logical 30 minute chunks so each dvd will make sense. Remember they will still need a ps3 or blu ray player to playback this disc but it will be in higher def. I would even take it further by converting the video into mp4 for PSP playback as well , great for mobile showing of the wedding... If you use visualhub you could also take your video and turn it into a high quality mp4 720x404 with multiple pass and give that out for straight computer playback to people as well... these files then could be copied onto a ps3's hard drive or xbox or appletv and played back at will with no dvd needed..... also using visualhub or viddyup you can make an ipod version of your video too.

Toast , VisualHub ,ViddyUp are my favorite apps to convert video.

I believe its more of a space on media and time issue...

dvd-r will yield about 30 minutes of HD video while the dvd-DL would get the hour at the highest quality setting.

I personally do not like using DL media because of the layer break ... try using dvd-r's first and see if you can live with the 30 minute limit... like the wedding ceremony on one disc the party on the other ... etc... the key would be to breakup your video into logical 30 minute chunks so each dvd will make sense. Remember they will still need a ps3 or blu ray player to playback this disc but it will be in higher def. I would even take it further by converting the video into mp4 for PSP playback as well , great for mobile showing of the wedding... If you use visualhub you could also take your video and turn it into a high quality mp4 720x404 with multiple pass and give that out for straight computer playback to people as well... these files then could be copied onto a ps3's hard drive or xbox or appletv and played back at will with no dvd needed..... also using visualhub or viddyup you can make an ipod version of your video too.

Toast , VisualHub ,ViddyUp are my favorite apps to convert video.

Thanks for your reply jhillestad. I just find it strange that to burn it to a proper blu-ray disc, the 52 min movie takes up 9 GB (BD-R), 6Gb on DL DVD and only 3GB on DVD. There must be further compression on the last two formats, especially when each are written to the high definition blu-ray specification.

I am hoping that one of the Roxio techies will explain this based on the code they have written for Toast 9.

Edited by Inspired

I believe Roxio states in the ad somewhere that you can can 30 min of hi def video on a dvd-r for blu ray playback at its highest setting.

I am not familiar with BD-R but I thought blu ray held like 25 gb not 9 gb ...

My hi def stuff is in avchd format which is already compressed so Toast does not re compress it , I get about 45 minuts on 4gb mem stick at the medium quality setting on my Sony Camera , I know on my cam it takes an 8gb stick to get an hour at its highest setting.

With hdv vids I assume Toast is putting your video into something close to avchd range to get it to fit on a 4gb dvd-r ....

make a disc and tell your PS3 to display info and I believe it will tell you what the bitrate is...