• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 8.0.4 Update Operation Cannot Be Completed B/c Sufficient Privileges

Voltaic

Question

Ok, long story short, I'm a little behind on my Leopard updates because I've been in the middle of a project and didn't want to update anything until I was finished as to not chance a failure of some sort. Call me paranoid, but well... So here I am last night updating Leopard to 10.5.2. Before I did though, I backed up all my data to a cloned drive, booted to the drive, made sure it worked and then proceeded with the 10.5.2 update.

Ok, so tonight I see that Toast 8 is wanting to update to 8.0.4. Not a problem, I'm on a roll with my updates right? Well, for those familiar with an updating procedure for Toast 8, simply put, it downloads the entire program folder and simply has you drag and drop it into your Applications folder. Well when I try to do that, I get an error message that "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."

I find this very odd because I actually ran about 10 other updates to various programs (some Apple- iPhoto, Final Cut Studio 2, iLife..etc- some 3rd party - Firefox, Carbon Copy Cloner, Garagesale) and they all worked just fine. I did find that the software for my Logitech Harmony Remote would fail to open after trying to install some updates, but a simple reinstall of that program fixed the issue without a hitch.

And I got Toast working, I just had to drag and drop each file in the 8.0.4 program folder into the TOAST program folder. But it's just really odd.

So that got me thinking, was it something in 10.5.2 that caused this? Maybe one of the other updates did it.

So I booted to my 10.5.1 hard drive, and sure enough, I got the same exact issue with both Toast 8.0.4 and when trying to update the harmony software. Ran Firefox and updated it without issue.

I repaired permissions, all the usual suspects and to no avail. I checked the Sharing and Permissions of the folder and I have Read and Write Access. I dunno, Everything seems to be working so I shouldn't be whining, but I can't help but ask if someone didn't experience the same thing when trying to update Toast to 8.0.4?

8 answers to this question

Ok, long story short, I'm a little behind on my Leopard updates because I've been in the middle of a project and didn't want to update anything until I was finished as to not chance a failure of some sort. Call me paranoid, but well... So here I am last night updating Leopard to 10.5.2. Before I did though, I backed up all my data to a cloned drive, booted to the drive, made sure it worked and then proceeded with the 10.5.2 update.

Ok, so tonight I see that Toast 8 is wanting to update to 8.0.4. Not a problem, I'm on a roll with my updates right? Well, for those familiar with an updating procedure for Toast 8, simply put, it downloads the entire program folder and simply has you drag and drop it into your Applications folder. Well when I try to do that, I get an error message that "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."

I find this very odd because I actually ran about 10 other updates to various programs (some Apple- iPhoto, Final Cut Studio 2, iLife..etc- some 3rd party - Firefox, Carbon Copy Cloner, Garagesale) and they all worked just fine. I did find that the software for my Logitech Harmony Remote would fail to open after trying to install some updates, but a simple reinstall of that program fixed the issue without a hitch.

And I got Toast working, I just had to drag and drop each file in the 8.0.4 program folder into the TOAST program folder. But it's just really odd.

So that got me thinking, was it something in 10.5.2 that caused this? Maybe one of the other updates did it.

So I booted to my 10.5.1 hard drive, and sure enough, I got the same exact issue with both Toast 8.0.4 and when trying to update the harmony software. Ran Firefox and updated it without issue.

I repaired permissions, all the usual suspects and to no avail. I checked the Sharing and Permissions of the folder and I have Read and Write Access. I dunno, Everything seems to be working so I shouldn't be whining, but I can't help but ask if someone didn't experience the same thing when trying to update Toast to 8.0.4?

I had similar permissions problems when updating to 8.0.4 last night- I had to manually drag the files to the folder, and authenticate changing the folder- all that.

Unfortunately, I'm now wishing I hadn't- trying to burn files transferred from my TiVo, I'm making coasters- coasters that take hours to encode and burn, since the dock processor-hogging is back... if it isn't too late, you may not want to empty the trash, and save the previous version of toast.

Same problem here. Sounds like I'll just stick with 8.03 for now.

You can install Toast 8.0.4 in a different location than 8.0.3 and have both on the Mac. In fact you can use both at the same time although both cannot be assigned to the same DVD drive when open at the same time.

I've got the same problem (silver iMac Core 2 Duo, OS 10.4.11). Update failed for insufficient permissions, and now Toast won't launch at all.

Drag your Toast folder from your Applications Folder to your Trash Can, then install the update.

Same problem. Is there a way to revert back to 8.0.3? It evidently

installed/deleted enough files that toast no longer works.

I've got the same problem (silver iMac Core 2 Duo, OS 10.4.11). Update failed for insufficient permissions, and now Toast won't launch at all.

Having same problem when upgrading to 8.0.4.

Insuficient privilages.

Any idea what this means?

Should I go back to 8.0.3? I wasn't having any problems.

thanks,

Andy

thanks,

seif

thanks,

seif

I made the mistake of trashing my Toast 8 folder before copying over the new one. I didn't get a permissions message but Toast 8.0.4 did forget the registration key from the earlier install. So I copied my Toast 8.0.3 back from a backup and opened it. After that Toast 8.0.4 knew the registration info when going through its setup.

If you have your Toast 8 registration key info handy (it'll be on your registration page on Roxio's site if you ever registered) then I'd just trash that botched install of Toast 8 and copy it again from the mounted download file.

Toast has no problem with your keeping (and using) various versions, by the way.

Archived