• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Auto Transfers & Exports Screw Up Show Info In Itunes

DistortedLoop

Question

Toast version 9 with TivoToGo installed. I have it set up to automatically export transferred shows from the Tivo to Toast 9, where it exports them automatically to iTunes for my iPhone.

The issue is that when I let it do automatic transfers/exports, the name, episode, series, etc show info doesn't get loaded into iTunes properly. Here's an example of what I get for an episode of a cooking show on FitTV:

NAME: Healthy_Appetite_With_Ellie_Krieger_Super_Foods_FOODP_1206820798

ARTIST: Sat, Mar 29, 2008

ALBUM: 29:59

COMMENTS: 29:59

SHOW: Healthy_Appetite_With_Ellie_Krieger_Super_Foods_FOODP_1206820798

Notice that the show name matches the episode name, which means all episodes of the show show up as a different tv series instead of as one (which makes a difference in how they are loaded onto my iPhone).

What I've noticed, though, with shows that I manually open with Toast is that all the Guide information out of TiVo goes into the iTunes description and is much more useful. Here's the exact same show notes that I got when I manually Toasted the file by dragging it into the convert digital part of Toast:

NAME: Super Foods (which is the episode title)

ARTIST: Healthy Appetite With Ellie Krieger

COMMENTS: Salmon Florentine with lemon broccolini; kiwi mango tartlets; hummus and grilled vegetable wrap. Copyright Tribune Media Services, Inc.

SHOW: Healthy Appetite With Ellie Krieger

So, the question is, what am I doing wrong with the auto transfer/export feature, which appears to only have one setting (on/off) in TivoTransfer preferences, or is this a bug in the application?

Any ideas for a work around?

10 answers to this question

Roxio Tech Support's solution to my problem:

"iTunes will read the file a certain way. You may want to check the settings or prefrences in iTunes for a way to change this."

Clearly they didn't even read the problem or think about it. These are the exact same file being input, into the exact same program, yet one method of input into Toast screws up the metatags, the other doesn't. What the heck does iTunes settings have to do with that? And what settings would you even look at?

Useless.

Any update on this, maybe in a maintenance release? I also have this problem and would like to manipulate how the recordings show up in iTunes. Could you add some rules that would allow users to customize what tags and attributes get set?

Thanks!

km54291,

I appear to have the same problem as you reported, but I have made the correction to the default handling for Tivo imported tivo files and I still get the corrupted program names in iTunes, even after assorted restarts and reinstalls. In Toast 9.0.4 there is a setting for "Video IPod" in addition to the one for iPhone/iTouch, so that's the one I chose.

Do you happen to know where the Mac stores all these preference settings?

Thanks,

Doug

Can anyone else even confirm this behavior on their machine? I'm thinking of contacting support directly; it would be nice to know it's not unique to my machine.

YES This is happening to me and I am SOOO annoyed. Using Toast 8 loaded TV Show info and names into iTunes PERFECTLY and Toast 9 is completly screwing it all up and making me have to edit everything manually!

I hope this gets resolved!

I see that today Roxio has announced availability of Toast 10. I am still trying to get the Tivo to Toast to iTunes feature of Toast 9 (discussed at length above) to work correctly. Does anyone know if this bug has been addressed in the new release, or are we just coping with undetermined installation errors?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Doug

Toast version 9 with TivoToGo installed. I have it set up to automatically export transferred shows from the Tivo to Toast 9, where it exports them automatically to iTunes for my iPhone.

The issue is that when I let it do automatic transfers/exports, the name, episode, series, etc show info doesn't get loaded into iTunes properly. Here's an example of what I get for an episode of a cooking show on FitTV:

Notice that the show name matches the episode name, which means all episodes of the show show up as a different tv series instead of as one (which makes a difference in how they are loaded onto my iPhone).

What I've noticed, though, with shows that I manually open with Toast is that all the Guide information out of TiVo goes into the iTunes description and is much more useful. Here's the exact same show notes that I got when I manually Toasted the file by dragging it into the convert digital part of Toast:

COMMENTS: Salmon Florentine with lemon broccolini; kiwi mango tartlets; hummus and grilled vegetable wrap. Copyright Tribune Media Services, Inc.

So, the question is, what am I doing wrong with the auto transfer/export feature, which appears to only have one setting (on/off) in TivoTransfer preferences, or is this a bug in the application?

I figured this out! The automatic export feature is defaulting to the following format: Apple TV instead if iPhone/iPod at the resolution of 480 x 360. When I changed the format on a manual export, it loaded to iTunes cleanly and perfecftly. Now I just have to figure out if I can change the default formatting that the automatic export is using and then I should be ok!

YES!!!! Resolution at last!!!! Go into the Toast 9 Preferences panel, on the Audio/Video tab, and at the bottom, changed the "Default for Automatic TiVo Exports to be ipHone/iPod instead of Apple TV.

Finally! :)

Archived