Creator (dell Edition) Activation Problem

DShombert

Question

I have a Dell Dimension desktop that came with a Roxio product called Creator MyDVD Combo LE (Dell edition), about 1.5 years old. It seems to be a Sonic product. I had a problem copying, and a Dell service rep suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the software. That didn't solve the problem, and eventually he steered me to some free third-party software that copies just fine. But now I have a new problem - when I try to reinstall, using the discs I got from Dell, it won't activate. If I try to activate online, I get a message that the "free activation period has expired". If I try calling the number that's provide to get an offline activation code, the number is no longer in service. So far, all Roxio has said is that they "no longer support the product", although I think I might have been asking the wrong department. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

Roxio came through on this - at least, it appears that they did. I got a pretty quick response on the service ticket, and it explained that I would need to do a clean uninstall (which I had not done before), then reinstall with the discs supplied by Dell. The directions for the uninstall were crystal clear and everything went exactly as they said it would. I elected not to reinstall, simply because the 3rd-party DVD burner that Dell steered me to earlier works really well, and I can play DVDs with Windows Media Player. And that works really well now, after the clean uninstall. So I don't know for sure that reinstalling the Roxio program would have gotten around the activation issue, but I'll take their word for it. The tech support person who picked up this ticket was certainly more helpful than the person I spoke to on the phone on my first contact. Case closed.

Your beef is with Dell, but if you want to take it out on Roxio, then I guess no amount of logic is going to change your mind.

Good luck with your new 'not-Roxio' software.

No offense, but I think you’re the one who’s missing the logic here.

I bought a product made by Roxio and sold to me by Dell, with the intent on the part of both companies that it would be useful for the life of the computer. Through an error on Dell’s part – the kind of error that anyone could make – the product no longer works. Dell is still trying to come up with a fix, but hasn’t so far. Presently, the intent that everybody started with is no longer satisfied. At this point, Roxio has two choices:

(1) They can say “Tough luck, pal, you’ll have to buy a new product”

(2) They can say, “Sure, we want you to be able to use the product that you paid for, here’s a code to get you going again”.

If you were me, which of those two would make you want to buy the company’s products in the future?

I don’t see that going with (2) would cost Roxio much, if anything, and it would generate a lot of good will. Seems logical to me. It’s the kind of thing that classy companies do when they care about their customers and keeping their business.

Perhaps, then, you should address your concerns to Roxio. Right now you are only speaking to people who use Roxio and/or Sonic products and try to help others with he software.

However, OEM [Original Equipment Mfgr] Software is contracted for by the OEM, and the OEM undertakes to provide support, as part of the contract.

Lynn

PS: link to Roxio contact page

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/service/

Perhaps, then, you should address your concerns to Roxio. Right now you are only speaking to people who use Roxio and/or Sonic products and try to help others with he software.

However, OEM [Original Equipment Mfgr] Software is contracted for by the OEM, and the OEM undertakes to provide support, as part of the contract.

Lynn

PS: link to Roxio contact page

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/service/

Yep. Thanks for bringing this up, I should have been clearer in my original post. To clarify: I've actually contacted Roxio twice. The first time, a few weeks ago, was BEFORE I contacted Dell. I called a phone Roxio toll-free number and got as far as a service desk. That person was pretty unsympathetic and told me I'd have to buy a new product. Then I started my discussion with Dell, which is still going on and looking less hopeful all the time, and THEN - right before I came here - I went to Roxio's website and requested help. It was the first Roxio contact, by phone, that made me think they wouldn't help. But maybe it'll turn out that I'm wrong. I'll post the results here if that happens.

No offense, but I think you’re the one who’s missing the logic here.

I bought a product made by Roxio and sold to me by Dell, with the intent on the part of both companies that it would be useful for the life of the computer. Through an error on Dell’s part – the kind of error that anyone could make – the product no longer works. Dell is still trying to come up with a fix, but hasn’t so far. Presently, the intent that everybody started with is no longer satisfied. At this point, Roxio has two choices:

(1) They can say “Tough luck, pal, you’ll have to buy a new product”

(2) They can say, “Sure, we want you to be able to use the product that you paid for, here’s a code to get you going again”.

If you were me, which of those two would make you want to buy the company’s products in the future?

I don’t see that going with (2) would cost Roxio much, if anything, and it would generate a lot of good will. Seems logical to me. It’s the kind of thing that classy companies do when they care about their customers and keeping their business.

Many times, the bundled Roxio software is customized to the specifications of the manufacturer. This means that some of the features that you may find in the retail version of Roxio software may not be available in the version that came bundled.

The OEM provider also supplies all support on THEIR product.

You did not pay Roxio for this OEM version you have, it came with your computer.

Good luck with Roxio support.

FYI

Read this (4th paragraph)

http://www.roxio.com/enu/company/contact.html

Lots of bundled software is given away as short-term or limited-ability 'freebies'. They are meant to tease you into buying full retail versions, which is why they're time- or ability-limited.

Yours has expired. :(

I have a Dell Dimension desktop that came with a Roxio product called Creator MyDVD Combo LE (Dell edition), about 1.5 years old. It seems to be a Sonic product. I had a problem copying, and a Dell service rep suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the software. That didn't solve the problem, and eventually he steered me to some free third-party software that copies just fine. But now I have a new problem - when I try to reinstall, using the discs I got from Dell, it won't activate. If I try to activate online, I get a message that the "free activation period has expired". If I try calling the number that's provide to get an offline activation code, the number is no longer in service. So far, all Roxio has said is that they "no longer support the product", although I think I might have been asking the wrong department. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Contact Dell, it is their OEM version. They supplied you with the installation disc.

Contact Dell, it is their OEM version. They supplied you with the installation disc.

Yep. I have traded email with Dell on this problem for about three weeks. Maybe 15 or 20 messages back and forth, and two live chats. None of that fixed my problem, though. I'm aware that bundled software often comes with a time limit, but that isn't what happened here. If I had not removed the software (at a Dell rep's suggestion), it would still be working today and would continue to work. Whatever limitations it has compared to the retail version, it was put on this computer with the intent that it would remain useable for the life of the computer. It was the uninstalling that threw a monkey wrench into the works. I think Dell understands that, and they sent me a SECOND installation disc, but it's no different from the first. If Roxio's philosophy is to deny me a code so that I'll buy a new product to replace it - well, that's gonna backfire. If I have to buy new software, it sure won't be Roxio.

Archived