• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

.mpeg Comes Out Blocky In Toast 8

MacBurglar

Question

I convert .ts (not VIDEO_TS) to mpeg using MPEG Streamclip. However, when I convert to DVD-Video using Toast 8.04, I find that the video comes out quite blocky on the DVD. I use the best parameters I can. Is there something else I can do in Streamclip to ensure better results? Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Odd. How long is the video? Is Toast encoding or multiplexing the MPEG? How does the MPEG exported from Streamclip look when you open and play it in Streamclip (be sure to view at the same size you're viewing the Toast DVD)?

Odd. How long is the video? Is Toast encoding or multiplexing the MPEG? How does the MPEG exported from Streamclip look when you open and play it in Streamclip (be sure to view at the same size you're viewing the Toast DVD)?

Hi Tsantee,

Toast both multiplexes and encodes the MPEG. When the converted MPEG is opened in Streamclip, it looks great, just like the original .ts file. However, I should add, it's a hit or miss with Toast. Sometimes it looks good, but there are blocky times.

Hi Tsantee,

Toast both multiplexes and encodes the MPEG. When the converted MPEG is opened in Streamclip, it looks great, just like the original .ts file. However, I should add, it's a hit or miss with Toast. Sometimes it looks good, but there are blocky times.

It sounds like you have multiple MPEGs (titles) because Toast either reports that it is encoding or that it is multiplexing; not both. So what I'm guessing is it is multiplexing some of the MPEGs and encoding others.

Click the More button at the bottom left and Choose Encoder in the window that appears. Click the Custom button to enter the custom encoder window. Choose Never next to re-encode. In most cases this means the video will only be multiplexed as long as the original MPEG meets the video DVD spec. However, if your MPEG is from a HD program then it must be re-encoded because the resolution is too high. If the quality of this is low I'd raise the minimum bit rate and check the box next to Half-Pel. The latter improves picture quality but takes twice as long to encode.

Blockiness often shows up in videos that have low bit-rate encoding. If you have more than 2-1/2 hours of video on a single-layer disc the bit rate goes pretty low to fit it all. Make sure, also, that you have Dolby Digital and not PCM selected as the audio.

Archived