Computer Won't Even Recognize Install Disc

kristyscraps

Question

Maybe someone out there can shed some light on my problem. I am trying to install my EMC 10 and my computer won't even recognize that there is a disc in the drive. I am running windows vista, have done the clean install, yet nothing. Is it just a defective disc or what? or am i just missing something?

23 answers to this question

Can you tell us the make and model number of your drive?

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173A ATA - This is the only thing I know unless you can tell me where to look for it. I am not a really comptuer savvy person, but if you tell me I can do it ;)

I did uninstall McAfee, so now I only have Norton running. I did turn it off and tried installing, but that didn't work either. I tried reinstalling my DVD drive also.

Well I talked to Gateway technical support and they say that it is not my DVD drive as the drive will read other DVDs. I am still waiting for replys to my tickets I put in to Roxio, so any other help would be awesome. I have a Gateway GT5622 Destop that was bought in November 2007. Basic factory comptuer, no upgrades or anything. I am running norton and have mcafee downloaded, but I don't believe it is running, so any other thoughts guys? Thanks in advance by the way!

am running norton and have mcafee downloaded, but I don't believe it is running, so any other thoughts guys?

Is Norton running? What do you mean by McAfee downloaded, is it installed?

I don't run Vista. Somehow you have to make sure Norton and McAfee are not running! There have been other posts about not being able to install until they have been shut off.

Run Selective Startup using System Configuration, Click here...

Using the Selective Startup option, you can turn services and startup programs on or off individually to see if the problem occurs the next time you restart your computer. If you select a check box, the service or startup program will run when you restart Windows. If the check box is cleared, the service or startup program will not run when you restart the computer.

cd

Is Norton running? What do you mean by McAfee downloaded, is it installed?

I don't run Vista. Somehow you have to make sure Norton and McAfee are not running! There have been other posts about not being able to install until they have been shut off.

Run Selective Startup using System Configuration, Click here...

Using the Selective Startup option, you can turn services and startup programs on or off individually to see if the problem occurs the next time you restart your computer. If you select a check box, the service or startup program will run when you restart Windows. If the check box is cleared, the service or startup program will not run when you restart the computer.

cd

I have turned them off while trying to install this, then when you restart the computer they turned back on. I have read those posts about them being turned off and had tried this, still nothing, I just wondered if there were anyother problems installing roxio regarding the antivirus software. McAfee is downloaded and installed, but turned off if you will. NOrton is the only one running right now. I've tried the clean install, nothing though.

I have turned them off while trying to install this, then when you restart the computer they turned back on. I have read those posts about them being turned off and had tried this, still nothing, I just wondered if there were anyother problems installing roxio regarding the antivirus software. McAfee is downloaded and installed, but turned off if you will. NOrton is the only one running right now. I've tried the clean install, nothing though.

You've got both McAfee and Norton installed? That's not a good idea. You need to turn them both off before you decide to install the program.

Have you been able to install any other programs from a CD or DVD? Do you have Administrative Rights?

If you use My Computer or Windows Explorer in Vista, can you read the information on the disk in your DVD drive? Do you actually see files on the DVD?

Well thank you to all of you who tried to help me, but today I sat down at my computer and turned it on from sleep mode with the disc in the drive and the roxio install window popped up. It installed fine. So now I guess I have to try it out to see how it does. Oh well, at least it installed finally. Although I did not do anything different to my computer.

Anybody out there? If there is anything to do please let me know. I have had this for two months now and I can't get it to work. If you need to know anything about my comptuer please let me know. My DVD drive is an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173A ATA.

It's obviously not the EMC 10 DVD since it will work on your old computer.

That probably means that there is something wrong with the drive on your new computer.

It might just be a software problem. Try visiting the DVD drive manufacturer's Support website ( or computer manufacturer if it came preinstalled) and see if they have any software or firmware updates for your computer. Sometimes manufacturer's find problems with their drives after they've been released and issue updates to solve the problem. Other need updates to recognize certain 'brands' of DVDs.

You've got both McAfee and Norton installed? That's not a good idea. You need to turn them both off before you decide to install the program.

Have you been able to install any other programs from a CD or DVD? Do you have Administrative Rights?

If you use My Computer or Windows Explorer in Vista, can you read the information on the disk in your DVD drive? Do you actually see files on the DVD?

When I go into my comptuer, I basically says insert a disc. Everytime i trying getting "into" the disc if you will, my computer just says insert a disc. I cannot see any files. My drive does install other programs from CDs, this is the first DVD install disc i have though. LIke I said before, it will read the disc on my daughter's computer, but not mine.

Maybe someone out there can shed some light on my problem. I am trying to install my EMC 10 and my computer won't even recognize that there is a disc in the drive. I am running windows vista, have done the clean install, yet nothing. Is it just a defective disc or what? or am i just missing something?

Can the drive read another DVD? Did you install EMC 10 before?

Try the PX engine, here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4195

It's obviously not the EMC 10 DVD since it will work on your old computer.

That probably means that there is something wrong with the drive on your new computer.

It might just be a software problem. Try visiting the DVD drive manufacturer's Support website ( or computer manufacturer if it came preinstalled) and see if they have any software or firmware updates for your computer. Sometimes manufacturer's find problems with their drives after they've been released and issue updates to solve the problem. Other need updates to recognize certain 'brands' of DVDs.

I don't think that is the case here. Roxio doesn't burn installation disc's they're pressed and if a DVD, it will be a DVD-Rom, just like the other disc's the op said worked. It almost seems like a OS install/installer problem, locking up the Drive.

I would call my pc tech support folks and explain to them what your trying to do and what you have done.

cd

Can the drive read another DVD? Did you install EMC 10 before?

Try the PX engine, here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4195

Thanks for the reply. It does read other DVDs. No i have not installed any EMC before. I just got the new computer in December. I did do a clean install?? I took out the sonic and roxio things it said to. (sorry i an not the best computer savvy person). I will try the link that you gave me first then i will repost and let ya know <_<;)

Thanks for the reply. It does read other DVDs. No i have not installed any EMC before. I just got the new computer in December. I did do a clean install?? I took out the sonic and roxio things it said to. (sorry i an not the best computer savvy person). I will try the link that you gave me first then i will repost and let ya know <_<;)

That still didn't work. Anyother suggestions? :blink:

My drive does install other programs from CDs, this is the first DVD install disc i have though. LIke I said before, it will read the disc on my daughter's computer, but not mine.

Can you tell us the make and model number of your drive?

Yup sure do have another computer. Put the disc in the drive and nothing. Won't read it. My new computer is running vista and the old one is xp. Anyother ideas? or what do I do next? :(

Alright, I figured out the problem on the old one, I was putting it in the CD drive, (yes I am tired and not thinking clearly). Well my new computer only has one drive and it is the DVD RW drive. Still it will not load it. Any options for this?

Alright, I figured out the problem on the old one, I was putting it in the CD drive, (yes I am tired and not thinking clearly). Well my new computer only has one drive and it is the DVD RW drive. Still it will not load it. Any options for this?

If your DVD drive does not even recognize the disc (but does read other DVDs) then I would take the disc to a friends computer or a computer store and test it there. It may well be you have a bad disc.

If your DVD drive does not even recognize the disc (but does read other DVDs) then I would take the disc to a friends computer or a computer store and test it there. It may well be you have a bad disc.

Well I tried it out on my old computer and it worked fine. Now when I am trying to install it to my new computer it won't even read the disc. When I go to my computer and and click on the DVD drive it is in, my computer freezes.

Archived