• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 9 Fit To Dvd Compression Not Working On A Mac?

skywise

Question

I am trying to burn a DVD that is bigger than the 4.7 single layer DVD that's normal (the ones that have roughly 4.36 gb of actual space (verbatim DVD-R)

I never had a problem in Toast 7 or 8, but in Toast 9 I am not getting any compression for the 'fit-to-dvd' compression- it won't auto compress, and I do have 'use fit-to-dvd' checked on the toast window. what is the issue and how do I solve this? This feature is a main reason I bought (upgraded) toast 9

scott

14 answers to this question

Yeah, i'm getting the same problem.

I can burn a dvd-r but when it reaches 99% it says that there's not enough space.

Even though the bar at the bottom says that there is before burning.

What settings are you using in Toast? How large was the source video before compression? Did you choose and Options?

Does the message that there's not enough space happen at the end of the compression stage or at the end of the disc burning?

i am also having the same issue...

i am using toast 9, Video, DVD-Video.

i am trying to burn .avi's to a dvd.

there are a total of 28 music videos.

the total size, when checked on my macbook pro says: 1.66 GB on disk.

on the bottom "space remaining" bar, it says i have used: 3.17 GB on 1 disc, and have 1.21 GB space remaining.

at the top it says: 28 items - 4:57:54

it seems like it should fit on one disc... but when it gets to 99% it says something like: 4.68 GB needed to burn this disc, only 4.38 GB available.

i am confused since the file on my mac says its 1.66GB, the bottom "space remaining" bar says 3.17GB, and the error message at 99% says the file is 4.68GB.

any info that might help me understand what might be going on, would be appreciated.

:)

thanks.

i am also having the same issue...

i am using toast 9, Video, DVD-Video.

i am trying to burn .avi's to a dvd.

there are a total of 28 music videos.

the total size, when checked on my macbook pro says: 1.66 GB on disk.

on the bottom "space remaining" bar, it says i have used: 3.17 GB on 1 disc, and have 1.21 GB space remaining.

at the top it says: 28 items - 4:57:54

it seems like it should fit on one disc... but when it gets to 99% it says something like: 4.68 GB needed to burn this disc, only 4.38 GB available.

i am confused since the file on my mac says its 1.66GB, the bottom "space remaining" bar says 3.17GB, and the error message at 99% says the file is 4.68GB.

any info that might help me understand what might be going on, would be appreciated.

:)

thanks.

Toast can fit about 3-1/2 hours of video content on a single-layer DVD when Toast is having to do the MPEG 2 encoding. Your AVI's are not in MPEG 2 format so Toast has to convert them. MPEG 2 takes up much more space than the MPEG 4 that you AVIs most likely are. So it is the length of the program and not its original file size that matters.

What you've also seen is Toast did a very poor job at estimating the space required. That's probably because you AVI's are not the normal resolution (i.e. 720x480 for NTSC) for a video DVD.

The best solution is to choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. When that is done choose the resulting .toast file using the Image File setting in the Copy window. Toast may be able to do enough additional compression to fit a single-layer disc.

What I suggest is keeping the maximum content to under 3-1/2 hours and to also use the Save as Disc Image process described above. This works very well when you're trying to get a lot of video on a single-layer disc.

Alternatively you can consider using Toast to make a DivX disc. Many of your AVI's may already be in DivX format (which is MPEG 4). In this case the file size matters instead of the program length. Many DVD players will play DivX DVDs. If yours does then this is a good way to go as long as you can live without a menu.

Odd. Do you have DVD selected as the media type (next to the burn button)? If not, maybe that's the issue. Which of the Toast settings are you using: VIDEO_TS folder, Disc Copy or Image File? Does Toast tell you that compression is needed or did you select one of the options to burn main title only or something like that?

hey there... I do have DVD listed, and I'm using VIDEO_TS folder.. under the video tab (not disc copy).. I didnt' change any settings for burning any less than the whole disc. it's definitely odd.. I can choose 'fit-to-dvd' compression but even if I choose it it's still listed as being off ...

i am using toast 9.02 on a macbook pro. when i drag a video_ts folder into toast with fit to dvd selected toast hangs straight away, spinning ball.

is there a fix for this yet?

does this happen to different vidoe_ts folders you tried or just one video_ts folder? do you get the spinning ball after you check the option for Fit-to-DVD or just adding the video_ts folder?

i am using toast 9.02 on a macbook pro. when i drag a video_ts folder into toast with fit to dvd selected toast hangs straight away, spinning ball.

is there a fix for this yet?

gaper1 asks good questions. I have not had this problem with Toast 9.x on my MacBook Pro so it likely isn't something Roxio needs to fix. Toast is stymied trying to read the IFO on your VIDEO_TS folder. Is anything missing from the source VIDEO_TS that the IFO can't locate? Is the VIDEO_TS folder on a network drive rather than on the built-in drive or Firewire or USB 2 drive? If it is on a Firewire or USB 2 drive copy it to the built-in drive to see if that changes anything. If it doesn't work on an external drive then that is an OS issue that probably can be solved by applying the latest combined system update from Apple.

Why people use a laptop for this stuff is beyond me. I've seen HD editing done on a Macbook Pro but it was by a Sony rep. who probably had it tweaked. Laptops are still in their infancy as far as HD goes so I wouldn't bother for now. I play it safe and use a full tower MacPro system. They're cheaper and give you more horsepower.

Freecam

A somewhat valid point, Freecam, but nobody mentioned using HD sources in this thread so I'm unclear who this is directed to advise.

For the folks still having problems, test with a different Video_TS folder. I suspect there may be an issue with the one you are trying to use now.

John- thanks for the constructive reply- I will be trying that later tonight to see if the problem persists

Odd. Do you have DVD selected as the media type (next to the burn button)? If not, maybe that's the issue. Which of the Toast settings are you using: VIDEO_TS folder, Disc Copy or Image File? Does Toast tell you that compression is needed or did you select one of the options to burn main title only or something like that?

Why people use a laptop for this stuff is beyond me. I've seen HD editing done on a Macbook Pro but it was by a Sony rep. who probably had it tweaked. Laptops are still in their infancy as far as HD goes so I wouldn't bother for now. I play it safe and use a full tower MacPro system. They're cheaper and give you more horsepower.

Freecam

Archived