Video Capture

Aviator327

Question

Howdy, Am a newbie to the forum. Just installed EMC10 a few days ago. A relative of mine has a Sony TRV460 that wants to put a video on a DVD. I plan on getting a 4pin to 6pin firewire cable this morning since i have a firewire port on my PC. I am assuming that i will need the software in order for camcorder to be recognized on my PC. The problem is I cannot locate the software that came with the camcorder. Just curious if i downloaded the driver from the Sony website for that camcorder would that work for it to be recognized on my PC? thanks.

19 answers to this question

I used the clean install procedure "to the letter" to renove EMC9 (Dell OEM). I was able to capture the video with Windows movie Maker. When I try to open VideoWave or MY DVD the same error pops up about the MPEG-2 application activaction. I also encountered an error while trying to burn the video to CD. I just don't understand why I am getting that MPEG-2 error when trying to open up applications in EMC10. Maybe i will look around for a copy of the EMC9 suite. I did a clean install of XP about three weeks ago so I know my system is clean. <_<

For some reason, the system is trying to activate EMC9. Open this folder and delete any cookie with ROXIO:

c:\documents and settings\username\cookies

You should have one like:

username@registration.roxio[1].txt

Delete that. You may have to re-register the application, but it may also get rid of the message. There could be a couple more with ROXIO in it. You can delete those, too. They will be recreated.

who are you. Yeah, you read it right. i had already did the clean install of EMC10. then read you post about the module entry and uninstalled it. Will probablt try another install in the morning. I did submit a ticket to support today about the problem. Thanks.

For some reason, the system is trying to activate EMC9. Open this folder and delete any cookie with ROXIO:

c:\documents and settings\username\cookies

You should have one like:

username@registration.roxio[1].txt

Delete that. You may have to re-register the application, but it may also get rid of the message. There could be a couple more with ROXIO in it. You can delete those, too. They will be recreated.

Gary , Thanks for the reply. I will look into it.

Hello, Aviator327,

Did you ever resolve the 30 second capture issue ? I have the same problem.

Update. I tried last night to download the video to Capture and the video froze at 37 seconds. When i opened Capture I got the MPEG-2 Window and closed it. Capture recognized the camcorder so i hit the Capture button. It started but "paused" after 37secs. I am assuming that the mpeg-2 activation is causing this.

I got the firewire cable this afternoon and the camcorder is recognized but ran into a new problem. When i opened Capture a Warning Box came up saying. "Following codec(s) must be activated before using this application. MPEG-2. Click OK to activate. When i clicked thr OK tab another box came up saying. No Permission-Bad installation.

I started the capture tab and it started to capture in AVI mode. After about 30 seconds of recording the video just "pauses" and will not go any further. Just curious if this MPEG-2 format is available for download. Thanks.

Update. I tried last night to download the video to Capture and the video froze at 37 seconds. When i opened Capture I got the MPEG-2 Window and closed it. Capture recognized the camcorder so i hit the Capture button. It started but "paused" after 37secs. I am assuming that the mpeg-2 activation is causing this.

Does it also pause when you capture to avi?

I used the clean install procedure "to the letter" to renove EMC9 (Dell OEM). I was able to capture the video with Windows movie Maker. When I try to open VideoWave or MY DVD the same error pops up about the MPEG-2 application activaction. I also encountered an error while trying to burn the video to CD. I just don't understand why I am getting that MPEG-2 error when trying to open up applications in EMC10. Maybe i will look around for a copy of the EMC9 suite. I did a clean install of XP about three weeks ago so I know my system is clean. <_<

See this http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...tivation+module about a possible solution to the activation problem. If I remember correctly the "Roxio Activation Module" does not show up in the standard Windows "uninstall programs" accessed through the Control Panel. It has to be uninstalled using the Microsoft Utility listed in the knowledge base article for a clean install. Note: CCleaner (free download - Google for it if you want to try it) also list the "Roxio Activation Module" as a program that can be un-installed. Try the clean install again, making sure you get the "Activation Module" when you uninstall all Roxio items.

I got the firewire cable this afternoon and the camcorder is recognized but ran into a new problem. When i opened Capture a Warning Box came up saying. "Following codec(s) must be activated before using this application. MPEG-2. Click OK to activate. When i clicked thr OK tab another box came up saying. No Permission-Bad installation.

I started the capture tab and it started to capture in AVI mode. After about 30 seconds of recording the video just "pauses" and will not go any further. Just curious if this MPEG-2 format is available for download. Thanks.

Hello, Aviator327,

See this http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...tivation+module about a possible solution to the activation problem. If I remember correctly the "Roxio Activation Module" does not show up in the standard Windows "uninstall programs" accessed through the Control Panel. It has to be uninstalled using the Microsoft Utility listed in the knowledge base article for a clean install. Note: CCleaner (free download - Google for it if you want to try it) also list the "Roxio Activation Module" as a program that can be un-installed. Try the clean install again, making sure you get the "Activation Module" when you uninstall all Roxio items.

Thanks for the info. Ref my post from yesterday I thought I had "followed the letter" for a clean install but last night I discovered that when I did the clean install yesterday I failed to delete the EMC10 Content entry in the Add-Remove Programs.It wasn't listed with the Roxio entries. so this morning, I did a clean install again removing all Roxio entries. After rebooting and before enabeling the start-up items in MSCONFIG I went into C:/Prog Files/Common files and noticed that a Sonic Shared folder was created along with the Roxio folder. I also noticed that there were registry entries created for Sonic Folder during the installation procecess of EMC10. After I restarted my system and opened up Roxio I clicked the Video Wave application and lo and behold there was the MPEG-2 activation screen again.

Afte r looking at your post about the activation module I used the Windows cleanup utility to remove the Activation Module (1.0). Restarted the system launced Roxio and open Video Wave and I am still getting the MPEG-2 window. I am at a loss on how to get rid of this annoying entry short of doing a complete clean install of XP which I did last month. Thanks anyway for replying.

Hello, Aviator327,

I was able to download the video with Windows movie Maker with no problem. The file size was 690MB. About 48 mins of video. The problem is i can't import that video to Video Wave because of that dumb MPEG-2 Activation window. Still trying to sort that out. I haven't tried to use Video Capture in EMC since doing three clean installs of ver 10. I may try to d/l the video with Capture either tonight or tomorrow morning and see if it still "pauses" while downloading. btw, I was using a firewire cable when I downloaded the video to Movie Maker.

i can't import that video to Video Wave because of that dumb MPEG-2 Activation window. .

It might be time to email Roxio Technical Support.

Did you actually register the product with Roxio? If you didn't do that, please do so in order to get the Tech Support you need.

One more thing you might try is to try playing a DVD with Cineplayer. I don't think that's going to help, but it couldn't hurt.

It might be time to email Roxio Technical Support.

Did you actually register the product with Roxio? If you didn't do that, please do so in order to get the Tech Support you need.

One more thing you might try is to try playing a DVD with Cineplayer. I don't think that's going to help, but it couldn't hurt.

I registered the CinePlayer this morning. I generated a ticket yesterday about the MPEG-2 problem. their latest response was to delete the Roxio Activation Module which i did yesterday. Will put in a DVD later on and see what happens. Thanks.

Hello, Aviator327,

\

Affirmative. After I did a clean install of EMC 9 last week I was getting the same 30 sec pause. I said, here we go again but i found out what the problem was. It was the standard 8mm tapes that was causing the capture to pause around 30sec. I tried numerous 8mm tapes that my relative had on video and everyone caused the "pause issue" I went and got some HI8 tapes and took about a 30 min test video. I then used Capture to download the video and was waiting for it to pause at 30 sec but lo and behold it captured the entire tape. I put in another HI8 tape and recorded about an hour of video and used Capture with no problems. It recorded the 1 hour video with no "pauses". Don't know if this will work for you but is sure solved my problem. From now on will use only Hi8 tapes.

Thanks for the info. Ref my post from yesterday I thought I had "followed the letter" for a clean install but last night I discovered that when I did the clean install yesterday I failed to delete the EMC10 Content entry in the Add-Remove Programs.It wasn't listed with the Roxio entries. so this morning, I did a clean install again removing all Roxio entries. After rebooting and before enabeling the start-up items in MSCONFIG I went into C:/Prog Files/Common files and noticed that a Sonic Shared folder was created along with the Roxio folder. I also noticed that there were registry entries created for Sonic Folder during the installation procecess of EMC10. After I restarted my system and opened up Roxio I clicked the Video Wave application and lo and behold there was the MPEG-2 activation screen again.

Afte r looking at your post about the activation module I used the Windows cleanup utility to remove the Activation Module (1.0). Restarted the system launced Roxio and open Video Wave and I am still getting the MPEG-2 window. I am at a loss on how to get rid of this annoying entry short of doing a complete clean install of XP which I did last month. Thanks anyway for replying.

You might try one more clean install but this time remove the Activation module as part of removing all Roxio programs in the clean install process. If I read your reponse correctly you had already re-installed EMC 10 before removing the Activation Module. I recently re-installed EMC 10 (on Vista, not XP) and deleted this as part of the Roxio deletions and had not problems with the re-install. Note: I did have this message the first time I re-installed because I overlooked un-installing the Activation module, but when I did it the second time removing the Activation module first, the re-install worked perfect. It might be worth a try before doing a clean install of XP again.

If the camcorder connects with a Firewire, it will be recognized automatically.

You should be presented with capturing it with Roxio or Windows Movie Maker. – Roxio!

Since you are new to this, start small. Capture – Edit in VideoWave – create your Menu and burn with MyDVD.

Do this until you are comfortable then tackle bigger projects.

Archived