Converting Audio Captured From Vhs To Audio File

Syrallas

Question

Hi all,

I have been capturing VHS tapes w/ the goal of converting them into DVDs.

What I like doing is grabbing some audio from the recording itself -- music playing in the background of my recording on Mainstreet in Disneyland, for example, and using that as the Background Audio for the Menus generated in MyDvd.

I could tell you the workaround I've been doing so far to get this to work -- but I'd be embarrassed. :o

So I'm wondering what is the most straight-forward way of taking audio captured on a VHS tape and converting it to an audio file you can use as a background audio for a MyDVD production?

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

Tom

B;Ville, NY

7 answers to this question

If you already have the captured video and it is in a format supported by the software, open Media Manager, navigate and select that video file. Right click on the file and select Extract Audio. That should extract the audio of that video file.

Then open Sound Editor and bring in the extracted audio. You can do editing there to remove unwanted portion of the audio.

If you already have the captured video and it is in a format supported by the software, open Media Manager, navigate and select that video file. Right click on the file and select Extract Audio. That should extract the audio of that video file.

Then open Sound Editor and bring in the extracted audio. You can do editing there to remove unwanted portion of the audio.

" ..and it is in a format supported by the software ...."

That is the part that I think is giving me the headaches, but I will try your suggestion and post results.

Thanks!

Yes, you can see and hear everthying fine on Videowave.

I have been trying to convert the audio captured from the VHS tape to an audio form usable in a MyDVD production using Batch Converter, but I can't select the file that has the captured audio (and, necessarily, video) from the VHS tape into the batch converter program. So I have resorted to burning a discs w/ the audio and thereafter extracting the audio from the DVD! I originally used DVD -R, so a whole DVD was sometimes just 1-2 minutes! Yesterday I started burning it onto a DVD RW, so at least I can reuse the disc.

But I will try suggestions posted here and report back....

Yes, you can see and hear everthying fine on Videowave.

I have been trying to convert the audio captured from the VHS tape to an audio form usable in a MyDVD production using Batch Converter, but I can't select the file that has the captured audio (and, necessarily, video) from the VHS tape into the batch converter program. So I have resorted to burning a discs w/ the audio and thereafter extracting the audio from the DVD! I originally used DVD -R, so a whole DVD was sometimes just 1-2 minutes! Yesterday I started burning it onto a DVD RW, so at least I can reuse the disc.

But I will try suggestions posted here and report back....

If you actually captured video, with that audio in it, to your hard drive, open Media Manager, browse to that video file, right click on it, and select Extract Audio. You can then save it in .wav format and use the audio file any way you want to.

Oops. I just read Malatekid's post suggesting the same thing. :)

:rolleyes:

Bingo -- worked like a charm.

I know that things get pinned when they are useful for many to read. I wonder if there would be a way to have a "pinned" section on this message board for product-specific how-to questions, for example, a pinned section for how-to questions regarding Videowave tips, one for MyDVD, Media Manager, etc. :glare:

Thanks again for the accurate and quick help!

Archived