• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Image Burning - Corrupt In Second Hour

dbacksfanbrian

Question

This is especially frustrating because this worked flawlessly in EMC9 on an old Dell with a P4 2.6 Ghz with only 1.2GB of memory! My problems began when I was forced to go to EMC10 because my new machine has Vista. EMC 9.1 isn't really Vista compliant....it crashes as I'm sure you know.

I record shows with my Tivo. I DL them to my PC. I convert the .tivo to .mpg with Direct Show Dump. Using MyDVD, I add two of the one hour shows and create a title menu only, but I do create chapters for both shows, usually 4 or 5 chapters.

I then create a disc image which I then burn with Alcohol 120% or Copy/Convert. Either way, it makes no difference. Without fail, if I watch the DVD which I have just burned, it always shows jitteriness or pixelation problems throughout the second show starting almost immediately. It matters not what show I place second....the second one is always hosed. I have tried a variety of different brands of media. I have tested the DVD burner (Optiarc internal).

I have created the disc image multiple times. I have DL'd the .tivo and reconverted it multiple times to rule out problems with the .mpgs. I have mounted the disc image and played it using WMC and it plays fine....but when it gets burned, as I've mentioned multiple times, it becomes essentially corrupt at the start of the second show.

All to no avail. If I go back to my Dell and use EMC9, I can create the DVD I want authored with the same two shows that cannot be incorporated into a good DVD on my new Vista machine using EMC10.

This seems to point to a burner issue but I also use DVDFab and InterVideo DVD Copy to create copies of discs and games I own for the kids to take to my ex-wife's house....and they perform flawlessly.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this are greatly appreciated. I love the intuitiveness of EMC10. I just hate the fact that it worked on an older system and now it no longer does what I need it to do.

5 answers to this question

I am using Verbatim and also TDK. It is an Optiarc AD 7203A drive. Perhaps I should say that EMC9.1 did not work for me on a brand new, out of the box Gateway GT5662 with a quad core Phenom, 2.2Ghz, 3 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT. It crashed whenever I attempted to run any other program, or, if the Vista screen saver was invoked.

I am grateful for any additional troubleshooting you can suggest. I realize that if I can mount and view the image it implicates the burner, but why would it work fine for one set of tools but not when burning an .iso?

Here's my own shot at troubleshooting my issue based on everything I've read the last couple days and it has been a lot. It's true that if I view the project I plan to burn both within MyDVD just before creating the .iso, and, after mounting the .iso to a virtual drive after it is created, it is viewable and looks fine. Only after burning does the issue appear. My reading has led me to conclude that the Verbatim discs I have must be of poor quality, so I plan to run down and buy a cakebox full of Maxell - R. I typically was using +R but that was out of habit. The drive in this machine supports either so I'm going to try the -R. On top of that, I am going to configure the drive not to exceed 4X when it burns. I will let people of my results. I purchased Nero 8 when it seemed I couldn't get EMC 10 to do what I wanted it to do. Turns out the Nero 8 does something that seems even more difficult to fix....dropping the same .mpg into it (as went into EMC10) has the net effect of that .mpg becoming "squished" in terms of aspect ratio. Even manually configuring what the output should be has no effect whatsoever. WMC plays it fine as 4:3 just by double-clicking it. But Nero detects something about it and changes it. Sooooo, I'm back to EMC10 and I'm keepin' my fingers crossed that this time it will work.

Here's my own shot at troubleshooting my issue based on everything I've read the last couple days and it has been a lot. It's true that if I view the project I plan to burn both within MyDVD just before creating the .iso, and, after mounting the .iso to a virtual drive after it is created, it is viewable and looks fine. Only after burning does the issue appear. My reading has led me to conclude that the Verbatim discs I have must be of poor quality, so I plan to run down and buy a cakebox full of Maxell - R. I typically was using +R but that was out of habit. The drive in this machine supports either so I'm going to try the -R. On top of that, I am going to configure the drive not to exceed 4X when it burns. I will let people of my results. I purchased Nero 8 when it seemed I couldn't get EMC 10 to do what I wanted it to do. Turns out the Nero 8 does something that seems even more difficult to fix....dropping the same .mpg into it (as went into EMC10) has the net effect of that .mpg becoming "squished" in terms of aspect ratio. Even manually configuring what the output should be has no effect whatsoever. WMC plays it fine as 4:3 just by double-clicking it. But Nero detects something about it and changes it. Sooooo, I'm back to EMC10 and I'm keepin' my fingers crossed that this time it will work.

Don't rush out and buy Maxelss - many consider them the "bottom of the barrel". Verbatim are among the best! Don't burn at max speed, I always burn at 2x even though I could burn at 8x. It takes 30 minutes but I have had very, very few bad burns at 2x speed while at higher speed have about 20% failures.

This is especially frustrating because this worked flawlessly in EMC9 on an old Dell with a P4 2.6 Ghz with only 1.2GB of memory! My problems began when I was forced to go to EMC10 because my new machine has Vista. EMC 9.1 isn't really Vista compliant....it crashes as I'm sure you know.

I record shows with my Tivo. I DL them to my PC. I convert the .tivo to .mpg with Direct Show Dump. Using MyDVD, I add two of the one hour shows and create a title menu only, but I do create chapters for both shows, usually 4 or 5 chapters.

I then create a disc image which I then burn with Alcohol 120% or Copy/Convert. Either way, it makes no difference. Without fail, if I watch the DVD which I have just burned, it always shows jitteriness or pixelation problems throughout the second show starting almost immediately. It matters not what show I place second....the second one is always hosed. I have tried a variety of different brands of media. I have tested the DVD burner (Optiarc internal).

I have created the disc image multiple times. I have DL'd the .tivo and reconverted it multiple times to rule out problems with the .mpgs. I have mounted the disc image and played it using WMC and it plays fine....but when it gets burned, as I've mentioned multiple times, it becomes essentially corrupt at the start of the second show.

All to no avail. If I go back to my Dell and use EMC9, I can create the DVD I want authored with the same two shows that cannot be incorporated into a good DVD on my new Vista machine using EMC10.

This seems to point to a burner issue but I also use DVDFab and InterVideo DVD Copy to create copies of discs and games I own for the kids to take to my ex-wife's house....and they perform flawlessly.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this are greatly appreciated. I love the intuitiveness of EMC10. I just hate the fact that it worked on an older system and now it no longer does what I need it to do.

The bolded sentences above are incorrect.

Your burner may be a problem. What brands of media are you using? If the video image previews fine, after you disc mount it, then the software did its job.

The bolded sentences above are incorrect.

Your burner may be a problem. What brands of media are you using? If the video image previews fine, after you disc mount it, then the software did its job.

I am using Verbatim and also TDK. It is an Optiarc AD 7203A drive. Perhaps I should say that EMC9.1 did not work for me on a brand new, out of the box Gateway GT5662 with a quad core Phenom, 2.2Ghz, 3 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT. It crashed whenever I attempted to run any other program, or, if the Vista screen saver was invoked.

I am grateful for any additional troubleshooting you can suggest. I realize that if I can mount and view the image it implicates the burner, but why would it work fine for one set of tools but not when burning an .iso?

Don't rush out and buy Maxelss - many consider them the "bottom of the barrel". Verbatim are among the best! Don't burn at max speed, I always burn at 2x even though I could burn at 8x. It takes 30 minutes but I have had very, very few bad burns at 2x speed while at higher speed have about 20% failures.

Did more reading and once again reviewed the media rankings posted at digitalfaq.com and ended up buying Sony. I didn't run the Nero Infotool on it to see what the actual maker's name was but I did limit the burn speed to 4X.

SUCCESS!

I have some Verbatim already and they exhibited the same peculiar "pixelation" anomalies as some Memorex that I had. I think the key is to limit the speed, as has been stated by more than one moderator, in conjunction with quality media.

This thread can be closed. I can't thank all the posters and gurus enough. It helped me determine what my problem was not so I could rule out as many things as possible. I was left with a couple of very fundamental items which I'd foolishly neglected to try first.

This thread can be closed!

Archived