Lossless Compression To Save Raw Footage

CTM99

Question

Hello,

I recently had two good things happen: (1) I received a 1 TB hard drive and, somewhat later, (2) got EMC10.

When I got the drive, I decided to start capturing all my old 8mm tapes (some analog, some DV). I've been using Windows Movie Maker to capture to straight DV/AVI format. But it sucks up 12+gb per hour. It will be some time before I can get around to doing the editing, and I'm running out of space.

So I'd like to convert to another format if possible that will not incur quality loss, and that will still make a convenient input source to the Roxio editing software. Can you suggest an approach? Thanks.

Chris

2 answers to this question

Hello,

I recently had two good things happen: (1) I received a 1 TB hard drive and, somewhat later, (2) got EMC10.

When I got the drive, I decided to start capturing all my old 8mm tapes (some analog, some DV). I've been using Windows Movie Maker to capture to straight DV/AVI format. But it sucks up 12+gb per hour. It will be some time before I can get around to doing the editing, and I'm running out of space.

So I'd like to convert to another format if possible that will not incur quality loss, and that will still make a convenient input source to the Roxio editing software. Can you suggest an approach? Thanks.

Chris

You have the best quality right now, with .avi. Anything that you convert it to will be less quality. If you have TB hard drive, and it is getting full, you better set aside a couple of years to edit and burn to DVD's. :)

Guest RCD74
Hello,

Chris

Are you in a rush to do ALL the capturing before burning?? If those 8mm tapes aren't going anywhere, I would just capture a few tapes at a time, bring them into Videowave for editing, bring that into MyDVD, create menus and whatnot, then burn as an ISO file. You can then get rid of the raw footage that is taking up so much space on your computer and you will have your ISO file to burn to dvd later. At least the ISO file won't take up so much room!! Just a suggestion.

Rachel

Archived