Easy Media Creator 10 Installation

Gibeltarik

Question

I did a Typical Installation of Easy Media Creator 10 Suite from DVD without uninstalling version 9, as RoxAnn informed me that I did not need to uninstall this earlier version and EMC 10 would keep some of the items not available in Version 10.

What happened in actual fact is that I now appear to have both, version 10 and version 9 on my PC. They are both on the Start Menu and I even have both icons on my desktop!

Logically, EMC 10 should replace EMC 9, but when I have looked in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, I have found a mixture of applications from both versions and I do not now know which belongs to which! I suppose there's a clue to some of them by their icons being either black or blue. Some items have their own individual icon.

This is the list of Roxio EMC items I found in Windows Add or Remove Programs:

EMC 10 Content

Roxio BackUpOnTrack

Roxio BDAV Plugin

Roxio Central Audio

Roxio Central Copy

Roxio Central Core

Roxio Central Data

Roxio Central Tools

Roxio CinePlayer

Roxio CinePlayer Decoder Pack

Roxio Content 9

Creator 9 Home

Roxio Disc Gallery

Roxio Drag-to-Disc

Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 Suite

Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Suite

Roxio EasyArchive

Roxio File Backup

Roxio MediaShare

Roxio RecordNow Audio

Roxio Record Now Copy

Roxio RecordNow Data

Roxio RecordNow Tools

Roxio Update Manager 9

This is what is in my Start Menu:

Roxio Easy Media Creator 9

Audio -> DVD Music Assistant

Easy Audio Capture

LP and Tape Assistant

Music Disc Creator

RecordNow Audio

Sound Editor

Backup -> Easy Archive

Roxio Backup

Copy -> Disc Copier

RecordNow Copy

Data -> Creator Classic

Drag-to-Disc

RecordNow Data

My Media ->Media Manager

Photo -> Media Import

Multi Photo Enhance

Panorama Assistant

Photo Projects Assistant

PhotoSuite

Slideshow Assistant

Tools -> Disc and Device Utility

Disc Image Loader

Label Creator

Video -> CineMagic

Media Import

MyDVD

VideoWave

Home

Roxio Easy Media Creator 10

BackOnTrack Home

CinePlayer

Creator Classic

Easy Media Creator 10 Suite

Label Creator

Media Manager

Music Disc Creator

MyDVD

PhotoSuite

Sound Editor

Video Copy & Convert

VideoWave

You can see there are more items under EMC9 than under EMC10! Also there are 8 Applications which are in both menus!

I would be grateful if someone could tell me whether my installation has gone haywire, or whether this situation is normal. With eight applications included in both versions of EMC, I am starting to think it was hardly worth upgrading! Is it worth uninstalling the lot and performing a clean installation of EMC 10? How many applications included in EMC 9 would I lose? My OS is Windows XP Pro.

5 answers to this question

[snip]

I did a Typical Installation of Easy Media Creator 10 Suite from DVD without uninstalling version 9, as RoxAnn informed me that I did not need to uninstall this earlier version and EMC 10 would keep some of the items not available in Version 10.

What happened in actual fact is that I now appear to have both, version 10 and version 9 on my PC. They are both on the Start Menu and I even have both icons on my desktop!

Logically, EMC 10 should replace EMC 9,but when I have looked in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, I have found a mixture of applications from both versions and I do not now know which belongs to which! I suppose there's a clue to some of them by their icons being either black or blue. Some items have their own individual icon.

You can see there are more items under EMC9 than under EMC10! Also there are 8 Applications which are in both menus!

I would be grateful if someone could tell me whether my installation has gone haywire, or whether this situation is normal. With eight applications included in both versions of EMC, I am starting to think it was hardly worth upgrading! Is it worth uninstalling the lot and performing a clean installation of EMC 10? How many applications included in EMC 9 would I lose? My OS is Windows XP Pro.

The bolded text above is not logical. I don't know why you would say that.

As for the rest, it looks like the install was successful. It isn't haywire at all. In your Add/Remove Programs, all of the black icons are EMC 10. The blue icons are EMC 9.

Thanks ml for your prompt reply. It seems to me at first sight that EMC 10 is a smaller program than EMC 9!

I don't think so. Some things have been added and some removed. Others have just been removed from the Start menu and are on the Roxio Home menu.

Roxio Easy Media Creator 10

BackOnTrack Home

CinePlayer

Creator Classic

Easy Media Creator 10 Suite

Label Creator

Media Manager

Music Disc Creator

MyDVD

PhotoSuite

Sound Editor

Video Copy & Convert

VideoWave

Those are the items that are on my EMC 10 Start menu.

The bolded text above is not logical. I don't know why you would say that.

As for the rest, it looks like the install was successful. It isn't haywire at all. In your Add/Remove Programs, all of the black icons are EMC 10. The blue icons are EMC 9.

Thanks grandpabruce for a quick response. My experience of updating applications in most cases is that the later version usually replaces the earlier version when it is possible to install "over the top". Obviously not in this case! I still have the problem of knowing to which version the applications with their "non-Roxio" icons belong! For example: CinePlayer Decoder Pack; Disc Gallery; Drag-to-Disc; File Backup; MediaShare; and Roxio Update Manager which has a Green Roxio Icon.

Archived