• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Stucker

Hdv Native Burns In Toast 9.0.2 Bd-rs On Power Pc Mac

Question

Surprise, surprise - my persistance paid off. Tech support was apparently misinformed by their own literature when they told me I needed either a Power PC G5 or an Intel machine to burn HD. Wrong!

I just exported a Final Cut Pro (Sony) HDV 1080i Native project that ran 1.5 hours, on my Power PC G4 laptop (OS 10.4.11), exporting it as a Quicktime Movie, self contained, and Toast 9 took it into the Video Disc, Blu Ray content window listing it as the MPEG-2, HDV 1080i file that it was and encoded it (12 hours) avg Bit Rate 19, 25 Mbps Max, and burned it to a BD-R disc (6 hours) and both my Sony BDP-S500 and my Samsung BD-P1200 Blu Ray players play it beautifully (as BD-ROM). Apparently their Toast 9.0.2 update fixed this problem? without their knowledge of this? Anyway, I am a HAPPY CAMPER after waiting for over 2 years to burn Blu Rays on my Mac with Final Cut Studio 2!!

4 answers to this question

Surprise, surprise - my persistance paid off. Tech support was apparently misinformed by their own literature when they told me I needed either a Power PC G5 or an Intel machine to burn HD. Wrong!

I just exported a Final Cut Pro (Sony) HDV 1080i Native project that ran 1.5 hours, on my Power PC G4 laptop (OS 10.4.11), exporting it as a Quicktime Movie, self contained, and Toast 9 took it into the Video Disc, Blu Ray content window listing it as the MPEG-2, HDV 1080i file that it was and encoded it (12 hours) avg Bit Rate 19, 25 Mbps Max, and burned it to a BD-R disc (6 hours) and both my Sony BDP-S500 and my Samsung BD-P1200 Blu Ray players play it beautifully (as BD-ROM). Apparently their Toast 9.0.2 update fixed this problem? without their knowledge of this? Anyway, I am a HAPPY CAMPER after waiting for over 2 years to burn Blu Rays on my Mac with Final Cut Studio 2!!

Hi,

Cool, I am new here and I am in same boat as you, and use FCS 2, also, did you use Compessor at all when exporting? QT. conversion? I use ProRes 422, and I was just wondering what did when exporting, as I read you said you just exported it as HDV 1080i? Thanks For You Help, Tim C.

Hi,

Cool, I am new here and I am in same boat as you, and use FCS 2, also, did you use Compessor at all when exporting? QT. conversion? I use ProRes 422, and I was just wondering what did when exporting, as I read you said you just exported it as HDV 1080i? Thanks For You Help, Tim C.

I have always found, and it was true in this instance, that Compressor is VERY SLOW, and I have

never been able to detect any improvement in quality. I'm still running tests to refine my process.

But I exported the FCP 2, 95 minute, HDV 1080i native sequence using Quick Time, as a self contained movie and no recompression. It took 45 minutes to export in QT and would have taken

Compressor 24 hours. I'm testing today the respective encode time in Toast 9 to send and

burn to BD-RE. Also experimenting using Compressor export as an MPEG 2 Transport Stream

to Blu Ray in Compressor. I have never used, nor likely will use ProRes 422 or the Inbermediate

Codec, I stay Native HDV and seems to save a lot of time and confusion.

I have always found, and it was true in this instance, that Compressor is VERY SLOW, and I have

never been able to detect any improvement in quality. I'm still running tests to refine my process.

But I exported the FCP 2, 95 minute, HDV 1080i native sequence using Quick Time, as a self contained movie and no recompression. It took 45 minutes to export in QT and would have taken

Compressor 24 hours. I'm testing today the respective encode time in Toast 9 to send and

burn to BD-RE. Also experimenting using Compressor export as an MPEG 2 Transport Stream

to Blu Ray in Compressor. I have never used, nor likely will use ProRes 422 or the Inbermediate

Hi

Thank your for your imput and it will be interestering to see what you come up with. I use ProRes because it is a cleaner codec than HDV, and its to render quicker for me. I am currently editing a project an will begin the new Blu-Ray burning process very soon. I do know that H.264 is terrible to work with as opposed to HDV exported in a full quality in rendering out from FCP. Thank you again for your help, and it will interesting to see what you find that works well. Thanks Tim

Hi

Thank your for your imput and it will be interestering to see what you come up with. I use ProRes because it is a cleaner codec than HDV, and its to render quicker for me. I am currently editing a project an will begin the new Blu-Ray burning process very soon. I do know that H.264 is terrible to work with as opposed to HDV exported in a full quality in rendering out from FCP. Thank you again for your help, and it will interesting to see what you find that works well. Thanks Tim

Hi