• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Phazemonster

Recommened Workflow For Exporting From Final Cut Studio 2

Question

Hi All

I just got my Blu Ray Burner for my G5 Quad, and I need your input on the best format to export to compressor for Toast 9.2, and I currently use the ProRes 422 codec in FCP 6. After I export to Compessor what format would be best to use for a Blu-Ray file? HD Mpeg2? or the slow H264?, or just use a quicktime movie file that is self contained?

Thank you, Tim C.

7 answers to this question

Hi All

I just got my Blu Ray Burner for my G5 Quad, and I need your input on the best format to export to compressor for Toast 9.2, and I currently use the ProRes 422 codec in FCP 6. After I export to Compessor what format would be best to use for a Blu-Ray file? HD Mpeg2? or the slow H264?, or just use a quicktime movie file that is self contained?

Thank you, Tim C.

I'm also trying to figure it out. My workflow is the following: Canon HG10->FCP2 as IntermediateCodec -> ... then I don't know... I'm trying to figure out what Toast would consider "native". MPEG4 in H264, but which bit rate?? (I should probably digitize in ProRez as well.)

Because when I drag in the MPEG4, it shows up as "AVC", so I figured I'm close. The trick is, which is the best format to record your footage to edit it and export it with the minimum encoding for Toast to burn it the fastest.

I'll let you know what I find out, but if anyone as a smart suggestion, send it our way! :lol:

I'm on a MacBook Pro 2.16.

I'm also trying to figure it out. My workflow is the following: Canon HG10->FCP2 as IntermediateCodec -> ... then I don't know... I'm trying to figure out what Toast would consider "native". MPEG4 in H264, but which bit rate?? (I should probably digitize in ProRez as well.)

Because when I drag in the MPEG4, it shows up as "AVC", so I figured I'm close. The trick is, which is the best format to record your footage to edit it and export it with the minimum encoding for Toast to burn it the fastest.

I'll let you know what I find out, but if anyone as a smart suggestion, send it our way! :lol:

Hi,

Cool, thanks for writing, I read here that the "AVC" codec is the same as "Mpeg 4", and is also the same as "H264, of which is a very nice result, but it is a very, very slow to export out, the worst I have seen yet to export so far from FCP="H264. This why I have stayed completely away from H264". ProRez is way, bitchen, a heck of alot fast to encode. I also seen in "Compressor" that one can adjust the settings on a imported file under "Inspector" for "Stream Usage", and Blu_Ray is listed. So if you get any good results with the AVC codec let me know ok? thanks, Tim

Compressor 3 has HD-DVD presets for encoding. Use them from Final Cut Pro (Export>Using Compressor). The drop these encoded elementary streams into Toast to author the disc. Works like a charm here.

I use MPEG 2 HD option in compressor and it is working perfectly.In short i shoot video using an Sony HDV HDR-FX1 , capture in HDV native in Final Cut 6.0.2 , export with Compressor using MPEG 2 HD , drag and drop in Toast 9.0.2 , apply the limited options for authoring in Toast 9 i want to use , save as disc image and use it later to burn my Blu-Ray who play very well in my Sony BDP-S500 Blu-Ray home player.

I use MPEG 2 HD option in compressor and it is working perfectly.In short i shoot video using an Sony HDV HDR-FX1 , capture in HDV native in Final Cut 6.0.2 , export with Compressor using MPEG 2 HD , drag and drop in Toast 9.0.2 , apply the limited options for authoring in Toast 9 i want to use , save as disc image and use it later to burn my Blu-Ray who play very well in my Sony BDP-S500 Blu-Ray home player.

Hi

Thank you all for your feedback and its been very helpful! So it sounds that this is the route for me to go after I complete my current editing. This is cool, amazing to finally see the ability to do simple authoring for Blu-Ray on a Mac after wait so long. I shoot with a Z1, and FX1 too, and I thank you all again for you help! Tim C.

Hi

Thank you all for your feedback and its been very helpful! So it sounds that this is the route for me to go after I complete my current editing. This is cool, amazing to finally see the ability to do simple authoring for Blu-Ray on a Mac after wait so long. I shoot with a Z1, and FX1 too, and I thank you all again for you help! Tim C.