Multi-core Compatibility

CarManDSL

Question

I am researching to purchase a MacPro. Great that we can buy 2 processors with 8 cores, but unless the software is written for multi core, all that processing power is not much use. Software vendors seldom advertise "multi-core" compatibility, or better yet announce something like "Our product XXXX is written to utilize the full processing potential of multi core CPU's." I haven't found any such claim on Roxio's site. (Did I miss this somewhere?)

We know that multi-core CPU's are best suited for intensive video encoding, but is Toast 9 written to benefit from this technology especially since it can now encode for BD?

(As I write this, I am test encoding a 2 min HD clip into BD format to be burned onto a DVD, with a G4 1,42 Dual. At the highest possible quality and bit rate, Activity Monitor shows the CPU's running at 100%. After 20 minutes, Toast 9.0.2 has completed only 30% ! This will take ages to encode a full 60 min BD!)

6 answers to this question

Referring to Toast 9.0.2

In fact toast 9.0.2 uses all 8 cores on a MacPro 8 core 2.8 GHz (2008) at about 90% during encoding while I am writing these notes. Project: HDV 1080i (MPEG2) from FCP encoded into MPEG4 for Blu-ray. Note: encoding seems faster than realtime. Settings based on MPEG-4 AVC, average data rate 22.0 Mbps, Max Bitrate 26.0 Mbps, Motion Estimation = optimal. Audio = PCM, 48 KHz, 16-bit, stereo.

:)

Referring to Toast 9.0.2

In fact toast 9.0.2 uses all 8 cores on a MacPro 8 core 2.8 GHz (2008) at about 90% during encoding while I am writing these notes. Project: HDV 1080i (MPEG2) from FCP encoded into MPEG4 for Blu-ray. Note: encoding seems faster than realtime. Settings based on MPEG-4 AVC, average data rate 22.0 Mbps, Max Bitrate 26.0 Mbps, Motion Estimation = optimal. Audio = PCM, 48 KHz, 16-bit, stereo.

Referring to Toast 9.0.2

Referring to Toast 9.0.2

Toast 8 and 9 gleefully grab 100% of both cores in my iMac C2D chip.

Maybe things change when you have 2 chips like the 8 core, but they've always grabbed as much as they want from both cores, even for very short multiplexing operations.

Don't know if this helps or confuses the issue.

Simply - no. I max out at 20% on my 8 x 2.8 machine. I compress with Compressor 3 first.

Thanks for your comments.

Thought that someone from Roxio would reply, but I guess their silence confirms your experience, Toast 9 is NOT multi core compatible.

My test BD on DVD for a 2 min 11 sec HD clip exported from iMovie HD in MPEG 4 format on my G4 1.42 Dual, took 3 hours and 15 min to compress and format with Toast 9! By interpolation, a 60 min BD from HD content will take 90 HOURS to encode!

What format do you encode to with Compressor 3 before using Toast 9?

How long does it take the MacPro 2.8 X 8 for Toast 9 to format a BD?

Toast 9 DOES support multi core

As a follow-up to my comments when I started this thread, I have received my Mac Pro 2.8, 8 core and made the same BD onto DVD as I mentioned.

On the G4 1.42 Dual with 1.5GB RAM, the 2 min 11 sec HD MPEG4 clip exported from iMovie, took a whopping 3 hrs 15 min to encode into BD and save as an Image file. Both processors ran at 100%.

The Mac Pro 2.8, 8 core has a 3 x 500GB RAID 0, 2 GB RAM. The same process took an amazing 6 min! All 8 cores ran at 65 to 70%.

In conclusion, I confirm with Shorafix that Roxio Toast 9 DOES utilize all cores.

Shorafix, please post your exact Mac Pro configuration so that I can determine why your system used 90% and mine only 65-70% of the 8 cores.

I am researching to purchase a MacPro. Great that we can buy 2 processors with 8 cores, but unless the software is written for multi core, all that processing power is not much use. Software vendors seldom advertise "multi-core" compatibility, or better yet announce something like "Our product XXXX is written to utilize the full processing potential of multi core CPU's." I haven't found any such claim on Roxio's site. (Did I miss this somewhere?)

We know that multi-core CPU's are best suited for intensive video encoding, but is Toast 9 written to benefit from this technology especially since it can now encode for BD?

(As I write this, I am test encoding a 2 min HD clip into BD format to be burned onto a DVD, with a G4 1,42 Dual. At the highest possible quality and bit rate, Activity Monitor shows the CPU's running at 100%. After 20 minutes, Toast 9.0.2 has completed only 30% ! This will take ages to encode a full 60 min BD!)

Simply - no. I max out at 20% on my 8 x 2.8 machine. I compress with Compressor 3 first.

Archived