Capturing Video Source: Firewire Vs Usb

malatekid

Question

1) I don't have a FireWire so I always capture my video from my hi-8 analog camcorder using the HP DC5000 DVD Movie Writer 2.0 USB hardware. Would it make a difference if capturing video from this analog camcorder is done via FireWire instead of USB? Where's the difference, if any?

2) I borrowed a friend's digital camcorder. Would it make a difference if capturing video from this digital camcorder is done via FireWire instead of USB? Where's the difference, if any?

Thank you on any comment.

2 answers to this question

First, let me say that there is huge difference between capturing analog and digital. Keeping everything digital will give you the best results. Digital tape via firewire to the PC is how most software was originally designed to work. Now throw in some old analog tape and we have a problem. Regardless of how it's captured, analog can be problematic. I didn't say it WAS. Just can be.

If you are using the HP DC5000 only as a capture device - Analog to HP to PC via USB - then you may have to use the capture software that came with the HP. EMC8 'may not' support it. However, if you are using the HP DC5000 to burn a disc from the analog tape, then EMC8 should have no trouble capturing from the burned disc.

If your friend's digital camcorder has the ability to 'pass-through' the video via firewire, this would give you the best quality, but Media Import has a problem with how some digital camcorder do it. Media Imports wants to control a tape that is physically IN the camcorder. There are work arounds. On a few occassions, I just copied from analog tape to digital tape. Then just capture the digital tape. That works great and is problem free.

Absolutely do NOT capture digital through USB. There are only a few exceptions to that.

First, let me say that there is huge difference between capturing analog and digital. Keeping everything digital will give you the best results. Digital tape via firewire to the PC is how most software was originally designed to work. Now throw in some old analog tape and we have a problem. Regardless of how it's captured, analog can be problematic. I didn't say it WAS. Just can be.

If you are using the HP DC5000 only as a capture device - Analog to HP to PC via USB - then you may have to use the capture software that came with the HP. EMC8 'may not' support it. However, if you are using the HP DC5000 to burn a disc from the analog tape, then EMC8 should have no trouble capturing from the burned disc.

If your friend's digital camcorder has the ability to 'pass-through' the video via firewire, this would give you the best quality, but Media Import has a problem with how some digital camcorder do it. Media Imports wants to control a tape that is physically IN the camcorder. There are work arounds. On a few occassions, I just copied from analog tape to digital tape. Then just capture the digital tape. That works great and is problem free.

Yes I do use HP DC5000 only as a capture device (analog to HP to PC via USB).

The digital camcorder has the ability to 'pass through' the video via firewire. That is a great suggestion regarding copying the analog tape to digital tape and then capture the digital tape; never thought of this.

Thanks for the information and suggestion! :)

Archived