Brian Palmer

Editing Tivo Files In Toast Video Player

Question

Hello All,

I went ahead and upgraded from Toast 8 to Toast 9 as I was thrilled to see that Toast 9 has the capability now to edit programs recorded on Tivo. I'm curious as to how many other people are having issues accurately placing the trim markers even with the "Fine" check box marked? The left arrow key for me, rarely moves the marker I select to the left. Most often it jumps forward somewhat spasmodically I might add . I can see that the frames shown at the bottom of the edit screen become expanded (there are more frames visible) when the "Fine" check box is marked. I would expect that pressing the left and right arrow buttons would allow me to move through those frames one at a time in either direction, but this does not always seem to be the case. I would love to see the editing granularity be closer to what you get from Toast when setting up markers on a DV file. I realize that DV files are very large and not nearly as compressed as Tivo files, so that type of granularity may not be possible. However, before I switched to Mac, I used Easy Media Creator and could edit Tivo files at the frame level. This should be true for the Toast Video Player as well in my opinion.

Does Roxio have a hand in the development of the Toast Video Player, or is it solely developed by Elgato? And if development is solely through Elgato, would they correct this functionality since they are a Tivo competitor. I apologize if this seems to be a gripe session but I started off with Popcorn 3 which had the audio/video sync issue. Then I decided to upgrade to Toast 8 due to it's functionality which better suited my needs. It also had the audio/video sync issue (which has been fixed in 8.0.4.) Now I upgraded to Toast 9 to get this editing capability which seems shoddy at best (in my experience anyway.) I would hate to have to wait for Toast 10 to have this working. Or perhaps I'm just not using the editor correctly or my perception of how it should work is incorrect; this may very well be the case. If I'm incorrect in any of my previous statements or rantings, then I stand (or sit in this case) corrected.

Brian Palmer

I don't think you are missing a thing. I too have found the editing of TiVo files with Toast Video Player to be erratic and unpredictible. You cannot select individual frames by either clicking them or using the arrow keys. When you try, the current point of reference jumps unpredictibly and inconsistently. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't ever see this being corrected in Toast 9(Toast Video Player 2). I have Easy Media Creator 10 on my Windows work machine, so I'll try it. Thanks for the tip on that! See my post about edited TiVo being encoded/burned on DVD-Video format. I'm just being honest(without any intention to insult) when I say, after transfering the TiVo recording, the 1) editing in Toast Video Player 2 and 2) encoding/burning in Toast 9 is a sub-standard experience. It simply doesn't work.

My Toast 9.0XX(?) will not edit my Tivo files on my MacPro under OSX 10.4.11 or 10.5.

My email to Roxio has not been answered.

Since I bought it just a few days ago specifically for it's purported "Tivo Editing" I was not only disappointed with it's advertised claims NOT WORKING, but also the lack of any customer service response at all.

Fortunately...under the online purchase terms of Digital River...I processed a refund claim and deleted the program.

I still have Toast 8.0...unless the "upgrade" kills it off.

The shareware that's available works better than Toast ever has for my Tivo needs.

:(

i too am frustrated with the editor... it is similar to the elgato eyetv, when you could select a "fine" frame from the snapshots, and it would "zoom" to that point in the video allowing you to place a trim point... the toast902 editor is not functioning correctly. when selecting a fine frame it jumps elsewhere in the video, not to where you selected. purchased it to edit these videos... and it is greatly lacking...

also when you edit out section, the audio doesn't get trimmed out - which becomes a major problem.

i too am frustrated with the editor...

also when you edit out section, the audio doesn't get trimmed out - which becomes a major problem.

:angry:

Agreed -- my experience too. I just upgraded to 9.0.2 and did a very "coarse" edit of a TiVo recording, sent it back to Toast to burn a DVD disc image and guess what? The audio wasn't trimmed and the effort was a complete waste of time. I'm off to log an official "incident" with Roxio.

--Brian Johns

Thanks for the replies. I figured I wasn't the only one having this issue. I'm finding it very annoying that every time I buy a Roxio product, there always seems to be either some significant bug or something that doesn't work quite right. And then when I think it's about to be fixed, wham, new version comes out that you have to spend money on. Well, I don't have to spend the money I guess, but I'm the dolt who keeps paying, hoping all will be well :lol:

Brian (MacBrian), let us know how it goes with logging the incident. I figure I should probably do this as well. Thanks again everybody.

Brian Palmer

Brian (MacBrian), let us know how it goes with logging the incident. I figure I should probably do this as well. Thanks again everybody.

Brian Palmer

Yes, you really should. The more incidents they have logged the more likely they will be able to get enough information to create a fix! Roxio responded requesting a text file copy of my Mac's System Profile. which I have sent. Haven't heard anything since then...

--MacBrian

I also updated hoping to use the edit function. But, I also have experience with eyeTV which is what the video player/editor is based on. So, when the old, jumping edit points problem started I was back to some familiar territory, eventually El Gato would fix the issue, but, usually I would 'downgrade' to the last version that had it working, so anyone try out 9.0 or 9.0.1? maybe pull it out of the package and swap it out?? Here's a link for the FAQ on the editor: "I want to cut the commercials out of my recordings".

Though the sound problem is something new. Probably need to do the disk image thing, and use MPEG Streamclip to do the editing (has a real 'fine'/frame-accurate editing, unlike the El Gato software).

I'm another who bought Toast 9 for the purported ability to edit TiVo recordings. Per page 100 of the User Guide:

"Editing TiVo and EyeTV recordings will launch in the Toast Video Player and allow you to edit your video. Once your

editing has been completed, you will be taken back to Toast with your edited video."

Problem: The editing interface in Video Player is nothing like that described for non-TiVo/EyeTV. I thought I had figured out how to place the markers, and I compensated for the missing "Done" button by using Save (per Roxio John), but the disk image I burned contained every second of the original video. And what's with that out-of-focus button that appears to be labeled "Fire"?!? It doesn't appear to do anything!

Strange, being envious of those who've gotten as far as the audio-sync bug . . . .

I wish I'd seen this thread before I wasted my money "upgrading" to Toast 9. I've had an EyeTV for years and found its video editing feature extremely useful, so when I saw that roughly the same feature was incorporated into Toast 9, I figured that it would be useful for editing files from my new TiVo in exactly the same way I use EyeTV.

Wrong.

The "Fine" checkbox has no effect. When I insert a marker, the cursor jumps backward several seconds. When I click on a thumbnail in the editing interface, the cursor jumps back several seconds. When I try to use the arrow key to fine tune which frame I'm about to insert a marker on, the cursor jumps back several seconds. When I click on the "forward" arrow in the floating El Gato control panel, the cursor jumps back several seconds.

Totally [expletive deleted] useless. :angry2:

If I had known that the feature that worked so well in EyeTV was so badly broken in Toast, I wouldn't have bothered.

+1

I'm having all these same issues when attempting to set markers on TiVo video on in the Toast Video Player. I followed support's "complete uninstall/reinstall" dance instructions to no avail. I've reported back to support and haven't gotten a followup. I've also applied to be part of the Toast 9 update/beta program and haven't heard anything.

I've had the exact same problem....editing a downloaded Tivo file simply doesn't work, and the documentation on the site isn't very good. Frustrating since this one feature is why I upgraded and spent more than this program is worth.

False advertising.

I don't know if I should be relieved that "It's not just me" or angry that this product is not working at all as advertised. And the "Ask RoxAnn" help system is a big exercise in frustration.

I have wasted several DVDs trying to trim up the opening of a TiVo-transferred show so that it starts at the beginning of the show instead of showing the last few seconds of the lead-in commercial. First I had problems with what was being selected and what was being deleted apparently the opposite of what the documentation stated. I experimented with the unexplained gear-shaped icon in the lower right that said to "invert markers" and that seemed to make the show the right length. But every time I burned a disc, it failed to remove the commercial segment and then the audo and video were wa-a-a-y out of synch, making the DVD unwatchable.

I have resorted to burning the entire show without DOING any editing, but that's not what I signed up for.

I'm having the exact same problems! The editing mode does nothing. I can select the video part to keep, then I close the program and save it. But, when it gets back to Toast Titanium, it is unchanged and gives me a rainbow pinwheel for so long, that I have to force quit the program.

This thing is not intuitive and does not work. Roxio told me to reinstall the program--did absolutely nothing.

This thing is a piece of s___!!

We have all wasted our money on Toast 9. I upgraded for the editing feature of TiVo recordings, but the piece of s*** software doesn't work. Editing video results in unedited audio, which makes the end product useless. I filed an incident report with Roxio, and what a f**king waste of time that was. These a-holes responded with Windows XP solutions! Hey dumbf**ks at Roxio...Toast 9 is for Mac! When I responded and advised them of their stupidity, I got no response.

How this obvious bug got through beta testing is beyond me! I don't think I will buy another Roxio product.

What steps do I need to take to be able to convert a TiVo recording so iMovie can edit the file?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was SO excited about Tivo editing and forked out the money right away. Ugh. This is ridiculous! I guess I'll file a log if it will do anything, but I doubt it. Did anyone read what the 9.0.2 update said to describe the update. It said something about fixing editing and sound synch problems! Yeah right! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Add me to the list of those who upgraded specifically for the ability to select and burn specific selections of a TiVo recording. I don't want to compress four hours of a live, full-motion sporting event to a single DVD.

I guess I'll will do some more digging and then resign myself to getting the charges reversed. The fact that this thread is over five months old now doesn't give me much hope that a fix is forthcoming.

Add me to the list as well. Tivo shows over a couple of hours won't play correctly in the video player. Fast forwarding actually starts going BACKWARDS at a certain point, and this pathetic problem has been reported over a year ago. What a waste of money.

I had similar experiences with the Toast Video Editor (clicking on thumbnails did not take me to that frame, fwd and back arrows went in the same direction, etc) but now with the 9.04 update it seems to be working as one would expect.

Haven't burned a disk yet, but it acts like it should now for a clip from DVD that was broken before.

My previous problem with editing (using Toast Video Player that came with Toast 9.0.2) was that when I edited out commercials from a TiVo program transferred to my Mac, the audio from those edited segments did not come out along with the video. This left the resulting file badly out-of-sync. With my first trial on a TiVo file using 9.0.4, those problems seem to have been fixed. Count me happy with the new version as well.

9.0.4 fixed absolutely nothing for me. Fast forwarding or clicking past a certain point in the Video Player is still impossible in the 2 shows I have on my hard drive. The indicator either jumps back to the beginning or jumps backwards a bit.

I don't get how to go from marking a video for deleting parts to somehow saving the edited video. After I mark the parts I want to keep, I Save. I then go back to Toast and the whole video is there. When I tell Toast to save as a disc image, it starts to save the whole 2GB video.

I don't get how to go from marking a video for deleting parts to somehow saving the edited video. After I mark the parts I want to keep, I Save. I then go back to Toast and the whole video is there. When I tell Toast to save as a disc image, it starts to save the whole 2GB video.

:blink:

OMG... every have one of those User Interface Epiphany moments when all becomes clear? When you realize the designer of the software (and I am one of those myself) and you have completely different concepts of how the world should work?

I just managed to successfully edit a TiVo recording to crop out unwanted parts; the behavior of the cropping button in the center of the control bar is that EACH time you click it, a new pair of cropping marks appears. When you position the cropping marks, the area BETWEEN the marks is REMOVED (not saved). So you can put multiple sets of crop marks on the timeline, and that defines where video is discarded.

When you click the FINE checkbox, you get frame-level resolution of moving the selected crop mark with the left and right arrow keys... although the crop marks do NOT highlight to let you know they are selected... you just click on the one you want to move, then use the arrow keys to position it accurately. You can click on the frames at the bottom of the window to jump to a specific frame, but make sure you have the intended crop mark selected first as that is the one that will be moved.

When you save or close the window and choose to save changes, the video in Toast is in fact updated, but that is not reflected in the display unless you choose a different video format and then reselect the one you want. Just sloppy programming, I guess.

This is clearly a product that screams for one of those "Toast 9: The Missing Manual" type books.

Hope this helps someone.

:blink:

OMG... every have one of those User Interface Epiphany moments when all becomes clear? When you realize the designer of the software (and I am one of those myself) and you have completely different concepts of how the world should work?

I just managed to successfully edit a TiVo recording to crop out unwanted parts; the behavior of the cropping button in the center of the control bar is that EACH time you click it, a new pair of cropping marks appears. When you position the cropping marks, the area BETWEEN the marks is REMOVED (not saved). So you can put multiple sets of crop marks on the timeline, and that defines where video is discarded.

When you click the FINE checkbox, you get frame-level resolution of moving the selected crop mark with the left and right arrow keys... although the crop marks do NOT highlight to let you know they are selected... you just click on the one you want to move, then use the arrow keys to position it accurately. You can click on the frames at the bottom of the window to jump to a specific frame, but make sure you have the intended crop mark selected first as that is the one that will be moved.

When you save or close the window and choose to save changes, the video in Toast is in fact updated, but that is not reflected in the display unless you choose a different video format and then reselect the one you want. Just sloppy programming, I guess.

This is clearly a product that screams for one of those "Toast 9: The Missing Manual" type books.

Hope this helps someone.

Good post, in fact, I'm going to copy it and pin it to the top of this forum.

Edited by sknis

I am speaking as someone else who has suffered through the various video editing bugs in the Toast 9 software, and who wanted to throw the whole thing through a window (after getting my money back!) I urge everyone who is using a Toast 9.XX version before the current 9.04 version to UPGRADE! Download the upgrade, completely trash the previous version (first back it up somewhere) and install the new version.

I believe that Roxio has made a sincere effort to correct this particular problem. It has been working perfectly for me and, as noted above, a bunch of other users here. Try it, and if it DOESN'T work for you, by all means, report it to Roxio! Ask for your money back, if you need to. The best way to get bugs addressed is for everyone to get vocal, and let them know what's going on.

Good luck!

Edited by kingcjr

I am speaking as someone else who has suffered through the various video editing bugs in the Toast 9 software, and who wanted to throw the whole thing through a window (after getting my money back!) I urge everyone who is using a Toast 9.XX version before the current 9.04 version to UPGRADE! Download the upgrade, completely trash the previous version (first back it up somewhere) and install the new version.

I believe that Roxio has made a sincere effort to correct this particular problem. It has been working perfectly for me and, as noted above, a bunch of other users here. Try it, and if it DOESN'T work for you, by all means, report it to Roxio! Ask for your money back, if you need to. The best way to get bugs addressed is for everyone to get vocal, and let them know what's going on.

Good luck!

Thanks for that. I returned my copy of Toast v9.0 a couple of months ago becuase it was useless when it came to editing TiVo files. Based on posts here I ordered a new copy (for $30 less than the original price I paid at Amazon!) and I assume I'll need to download and install the upgrade.

Question: How should I "completely trash the previous version" if I want to install the upgrade? Won't I need the program intact for the upgrade to work? TIA for the advice.