Toast Disk Images Too Big To Burn

need2act

Question

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.11 with EyeTV 3.01 and Toast 8 Titanium 8.04, trying to create a disk for use in a regular DVD player.

With my EyeTV movie selected, I select EyeTV's Toast icon which then opens up the movie in Toast.

Then I "Save As Disk Image" to preview it by Mounting Disk Image. Good enough so far. But when I try to burn it, I get a message like:

"There's not enough free space on this disc: 4.76 GB are needed, 4.38 GB are available."

1) How can I fix this?

2) Also, shouldn't I be able to fit more than 2hours of video on a 4.7GB DVD?

3) Is 4.7GB the standard for DVDs?

Barry

3 answers to this question

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.11 with EyeTV 3.01 and Toast 8 Titanium 8.04, trying to create a disk for use in a regular DVD player.

With my EyeTV movie selected, I select EyeTV's Toast icon which then opens up the movie in Toast.

Then I "Save As Disk Image" to preview it by Mounting Disk Image. Good enough so far. But when I try to burn it, I get a message like:

"There's not enough free space on this disc: 4.76 GB are needed, 4.38 GB are available."

1) How can I fix this?

2) Also, shouldn't I be able to fit more than 2hours of video on a 4.7GB DVD?

3) Is 4.7GB the standard for DVDs?

Barry

It sounds to me as if you do not have "Use Fit-To-DVD video Compression" selected (bottom left of the Copy page). Going via a disc image I routinely burn 2 full length feature films onto a DVD.

George

It sounds to me as if you do not have "Use Fit-To-DVD video Compression" selected (bottom left of the Copy page). Going via a disc image I routinely burn 2 full length feature films onto a DVD.

George

Thank you, George. That did the trick. I was using Video/DVD-Video tab from the Toast 8's main menu, and selecting Record Disc from there. But it didn't have the Fit-to-DVD video compression option.* I didn't know that I needed to used the Copy tab to access that feature and then Record Disc.

*btw- the only Video tab to offer Fit-to-DVD was Video_TS, but I don't have files of that type. Would I have done better if I had Video_TS files?

To add to George's post, a 4.7 GB DVD actually can contain 4.38 GB of content. It's a computer math thing. If you have an EyeTV that is encoding its own MPEG 2 files and you have it set for the 2-hour mode, a video longer than 2 hours won't fit a single-layer disc unless you make a disc image and then use the Fit-to-DVD option to further compress the disc image file to fit the single-layer DVD. Depending on the model of EyeTV you have you may be able to set custom encoding settings that can fit more than 2 hours on a DVD without needing to use Toast's Fit-to-DVD process.

You ask if a 4.7 (or truthfully a 4.38) GB disc is standard for DVDs. Yes. There also are dual-layer discs that hold nearly 7.96 GB of content (although the packaging says 8.5 GB).

Archived