Encoding For Tivo?

JerD

Question

3 answers to this question

Yes. You can download an AppleScript called TiVo Decoder and drag and drop the TiVo file on it. It unwraps the "tivo" and makes a new copy the same size which is .mpg.

At first this didn't seem to be of any help to me because my problem was that I was getting out of sync audio and video when I converted them to DVD format from the TiVo transfers. Somewhere, on a forum, someone mentioned setting the Encoding to NEVER re-encode. I tried that using Popcorn 3 and instead of encoding a TiVo video, it multiplexed it really fast. I saved as a disk image and was able to view it in DVD Player and it worked fine!

I then tried to do another one using the same settings in Toast 9 and it started out trying to ENCODE rather than MULTIPLEX the file. I didn't want to go through all that again, so I just quit Toast 9 and did the job in Popcorn 3 again. The bad part is that using Popcorn, I can't edit or trim the video. But at least I get something I can watch on a DVD.

I was wondering if by any chance you have found a way to "force" Toast 9 to skip the encoding stage and go straight to multiplexing. I have Toast set up to never re-encode since the .tivo files are allegedly already in mpeg2 format. That being said, the .tivo files I have recently been transferring to my MacBook Pro all begin by encoding themselves. This takes a really long time to create a DVD (as I'm sure you've experienced). Out of the 10-15 .tivo files I've tried to make into DVD's, only 2 of them skipped the encoding and went straight to multiplexing, despite my "Never Re-encode" option. Out of curiosity, are you still able to use Popcorn to burn DVD's out of .tivo files? If so, I guess I'll have to give Roxio even more money for Popcorn since the .tivo function is the reason I bought Toast in the first place.

Yes. You can download an AppleScript called TiVo Decoder and drag and drop the TiVo file on it. It unwraps the "tivo" and makes a new copy the same size which is .mpg.

At first this didn't seem to be of any help to me because my problem was that I was getting out of sync audio and video when I converted them to DVD format from the TiVo transfers. Somewhere, on a forum, someone mentioned setting the Encoding to NEVER re-encode. I tried that using Popcorn 3 and instead of encoding a TiVo video, it multiplexed it really fast. I saved as a disk image and was able to view it in DVD Player and it worked fine!

I then tried to do another one using the same settings in Toast 9 and it started out trying to ENCODE rather than MULTIPLEX the file. I didn't want to go through all that again, so I just quit Toast 9 and did the job in Popcorn 3 again. The bad part is that using Popcorn, I can't edit or trim the video. But at least I get something I can watch on a DVD.

Archived