• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Capture Vhs To Dvd

jmbusiness

Question

My first post, so bear with me.

I bought Roxio a few month's ago to transfer all of my VHS and VHS-C tapes to DVDs.

I have a Sony Digital Camcorder to convert the analog signal to digital. So right now I have the VCR connected to the digital camcorder and the camcorder connected to the computer via a firewire.

I have opened Roxio's Plug & Burn feature and can currently see and hear the video that is actually playing on my VCR inside the Plug & Burn window on my computer, so I guess that is a good thing. However, when I click on the START CAPTURE button I am prompted by a window "Capture failed. Please ensure there is a tape inserted" Well of course I am not trying to capture from a tape inside the digital camcorder, I am only trying to use the camcorder to convert the signal, as a passthrough which it appears to be working successfully. But never the less, I inserted a tape inside the camcorder to see what would happen and just as I expected I started capturing from the tape, not through the VCR source I have connected to the digital camcorder. What am I missing here?

I have also tried this same scenario, but instead of using the Plug & Burn feature I used Videowave 7 and still had no luck. This time I would get the message "Capture device was lost"

1 answer to this question

My first post, so bear with me.

I bought Roxio a few month's ago to transfer all of my VHS and VHS-C tapes to DVDs.

I have a Sony Digital Camcorder to convert the analog signal to digital. So right now I have the VCR connected to the digital camcorder and the camcorder connected to the computer via a firewire.

I have opened Roxio's Plug & Burn feature and can currently see and hear the video that is actually playing on my VCR inside the Plug & Burn window on my computer, so I guess that is a good thing. However, when I click on the START CAPTURE button I am prompted by a window "Capture failed. Please ensure there is a tape inserted" Well of course I am not trying to capture from a tape inside the digital camcorder, I am only trying to use the camcorder to convert the signal, as a passthrough which it appears to be working successfully. But never the less, I inserted a tape inside the camcorder to see what would happen and just as I expected I started capturing from the tape, not through the VCR source I have connected to the digital camcorder. What am I missing here?

I have also tried this same scenario, but instead of using the Plug & Burn feature I used Videowave 7 and still had no luck. This time I would get the message "Capture device was lost"

I also have a Sony digital camcorder and I use it to import all my analog video (analog camcorder and VHS recorder) to my computer for later editing and burning using the pass-thru mode.

You have to have a tape in the digital camcorder for the process to work though. I generally use a blank tape in this situation although a previously recorded tape will work just as well.

For best quality I always record to avi format and burn later. I never use "Plu & Burn since that burns directly to DVD and the quality is not as good since the capturing, encoding and burning all goes on at once and leads to glitches.

The process I use:

1-You seem to have everything setup correctly

2-Insert a tape into the digital camcorder and make sure the camcorder is set to VCR.

3-click "start capturing" and you should see the video from the tape in the digital camcorder (a blank screen for a blank tape)

4-Start playback on the analog device

5-Press the Stop icon on the digital camcorder to stop the playback of the tape in digital camcorder. The preview picture should now switch to the video from the analog device and this is what should be recording to the hard drive.

You will have to play around with this process a bit until you get the hang of it. I have had no problems capturing video using this method.

Another way to do it is to first transfer the analog video to the digital camcorder and then do a capture from the digital camcorder.

I hope you can get it to work.

Archived