Roxio Won't Uninstall And Has Corrupted File In Vista

MonetaRock

Question

:angry:

In September 2007, I purchased a Dell Laptop that had Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 DE preinstalled. 2 months ago, my computer started giving me errors upon startup saying Program Files/Common Files/Roxio Shared/9.0 is corrupted and unreadable - Perform ChkDsk Utility. I reformated my harddrive, but am now having this problem again. I have tried the directions on the Roxio website for uninstall and 4 other different uninstall programs. I spoke with someone in Dell's hardware technical support for 2 hours, and he could not get rid of the corrupted file. I also spoke with someone in Dell's software technical support for 3 hours with no solution. My computer will not go to repair mode and my check disk utility will not work. I have also installed and uninstalled the program, but this corrupted file will not delete. Dell is now having to send me a new hard drive and will have a technician come out to install it. I thank God that I purchased the warranty, because I would have to finish paying for something that I cannot afford to fix or have replaced. I really don't want anyone else to have to go through this again and hope that you have a solution.

10 answers to this question

OMG this same exact thing is happening to me right right now, I started getting all the error messages that said various files were corrupt and to run the chkdsk utility, and then my computer started randomly restarting about every MINUTE! I called Dell and at first they thought I had a virus, then they said I need to reboot my computer back to its factory settings or reinstall Windows. Being that my computer (still only three months old) has already crashed once and I lost everything, I hesitated to restore it to factory settings and instead just deleted all the Roxio files I could find. I'm not getting the error messages anymore, but things still dont seem quite right. This is insane, and so frustrating. Why are we paying for faulty products? And why don't the Dell technicians know about this problem, but instead are advising us to take the most drastic measures?

And what should I do if this problem persists?

I really don't want anyone else to have to go through this again and hope that you have a solution.

You seem to be the only person who has reported this sort of problem here. Although the chance is small that the Dell tech will know what caused the problem, would you please post back here if you do find out what it was?

Regards,

Brendon

ACTUALLY I AM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM WITH THE SAME FOLDER WITH A DELL XPS 1330!

Often I cannot even finish trying to fix it that the computer shuts down automatically and restarts...very frustrating.

Any help is appreciated

Grazie

I really want to thank everyone who responded to and read my messages. You are appreciated. A Dell technician came and also didn't know what caused the corrupted file. My hard drive was simply replaced. On my old hard drive, there was a file called Sonic ? - created by Sonic Solutions. On the new drive, this file is not there and I didn't get a popup saying that there was no BDAV plugin compatible for vista. I uninstalled everything saying Roxio in Program Install/Uninstall and it deleted everything except what was in Roxio Shared. I had to manually go in and delete those files and folders. I think I will download and install the uninstaller that "Ask Roxy" thinks is the answer to everything. :P I'm hoping this will also delete any behind the scene files connected to Roxio. Since I never used the program, I was thinking that maybe another application like Windows Media Center or Player triggered something in Roxio's shared files. In other words, I have no idea what happened and just hope others are careful whether they use it or not and watch out for even the slightest issues or concerns.

I really appreciate your responses. A lot of weird things happen to me that don't usually happen to others. I am used to that response. :) A technician is going to replace my hard drive tomorrow, and I promise to reply whether or not I find out what happened. This is the only file within the application that won't delete or uninstall. I never used this application and wonder what caused the issue to begin. What is usually stored in that folder? 9.0 Again, the directory is C:\Program Files\ Common Files\ Roxio Shared\ 9.0. Thanks so much!

What is usually stored in that folder? 9.0

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0. File Folder, Album 1.30 MB.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0, File Folder, AVCapture 18.9 MB.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0, File Folder, Common Resources 10.3 MB.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0, File Folder, DivX 2.18 MB.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0, File Folder, DLLShared 31.8 MB.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0, File Folder, Help 12.4 MB.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0, File Folder, MPEG 4.82 MB.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0, File Folder, Roxio Central33 15.1 MB.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0, File Folder, SharedCOM 17.5 MB.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0, File Folder, Tutorial 2.28 MB.

cd

Archived