Toast 9 Crashes And Slowness

richard_briscoe

Question

I've sent an updated build to everyone who has posted in the thread to see if this resolved the issue.

I'm going to limit it to this group until we hear back on any success. We will make it available to everyone as an update as quickly as possible if everything goes well.

I am having the same sorts of crashes and other problems with Toast 9/9.0.1/9.0.2 as described in the locked thread with my G4s with OS 10.5.2 (and OS 10.4.11 for that matter) Some of the crashes also involve kernel protection faults (both during multiplexing and burning). There is also the problem of Toast just plain running slow...encoding taking hours and burns taking hours more.

Has anyone actually succeeded in getting Toast 9 to work? Please say how.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Richard,

Thanks for all the info. I can tell this problem is out of my league and belongs with Roxio's engineers. A wild guess on my part is that Toast is incompatible in some way with some of your hardware and apparently that has been true for multiple versions of Toast. Have you communicated with patatrox? If not, send him a personal message referring to this thread and mention whoever else at Roxio has been troubleshooting this.

You've probably already removed third-party plugins from the Quicktime folder in your Libraries. You might check if there are any plugins in the Library>Audio folder that could be at fault.

Your Macs are equipped too differently from mine for me to test anything.

tsantee,

Thanks,

I will drop patatrox a note. He was leading the thread that was locked and now seems to have gone somewhere that I can not find.

I have been uninstalling Toast per KB Article 000014T one of the support people suggested to me. Apparently Toast is affected by more things than I could imagine. KB Article 000013T says that it is necessary to trash two files, not just the usual plist file if there are any permission issues after a crash or other event.

After doing the procedure several times the machine that still has the problem "drops out" after 9% multiplexing a file and then displays 0% for quite some time and then proceeds very slowly. Sometimes the very slow operation is successful and sometimes it is not. There does seem to be damage to Toast when this occurs as the option "best" frequently disappears after such an occurrence, but reappears after trashing the two preference files and restarting.

I managed to get one machine working tolerably well, but the other continues to have problems. They are taking a look at my hardware configuration now. I do not know how long it takes you to repair permissions, but my installs of Leopard take just under an hour. I am not all that sure that it does anything much, but I have followed support's instructions as precisely as I can to make sure that I do not throw another complication into the situation.

From what I have been able to make out there may well have been some issues with the install that complicated an otherwise difficult situation. Well, that is where things stand for the moment. This is rather beyond what I wanted to get involved but things happen.

Thanks again!

Richard,

I'm sorry it is still giving you headaches. I recall from your recent posts that you mostly are working with EyeTV files. Let's start at the beginning and tell me about your Mac and its OS version, the drive you're using, whether you're using EyeTV to make MPEG 2 files of analog video or if it is capturing the ATSC digital channels (and, if so, are there any differences in the videos' specs between ones that work okay and ones that go slow), what you are trying to get Toast to create and lastly when are the crashes happening.

Kernel protection issues sometimes are due to Toast encounter a part of the RAM that is defective. This needs to be checked using the extended test within the Hardware Test disc that came with your Mac. The RAM test in TechTool is inadequate (it told me my RAM was fine when the hardware test found that one RAM card had a defect).

I have not yet had Toast 9 crash on either my G5 (10.4.11) or my Intel Macs (10.5.2).

Richard,

I'm sorry it is still giving you headaches. I recall from your recent posts that you mostly are working with EyeTV files. Let's start at the beginning and tell me about your Mac and its OS version, the drive you're using, whether you're using EyeTV to make MPEG 2 files of analog video or if it is capturing the ATSC digital channels (and, if so, are there any differences in the videos' specs between ones that work okay and ones that go slow), what you are trying to get Toast to create and lastly when are the crashes happening.

Kernel protection issues sometimes are due to Toast encounter a part of the RAM that is defective. This needs to be checked using the extended test within the Hardware Test disc that came with your Mac. The RAM test in TechTool is inadequate (it told me my RAM was fine when the hardware test found that one RAM card had a defect).

I have not yet had Toast 9 crash on either my G5 (10.4.11) or my Intel Macs (10.5.2).

tsantee,

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond!

The way thing have gone this story could probably be syndicated as "More tales from the twilight zone".

I have two similarly configured Dual 1.42 GHz (G4) MDD FW 800 or as Apple calls them "G4 FW800". Each has 2 GB of physical RAM installed. One machine has Micron RAM and the other some recent OWC RAM. One machine has a FirmTek (2+2) PCI/SATA controller with the boot drive and separate data (video) drives attached. The other is similarly configured with a SIIG 4 port (internal) PCI/SATA controller with boot and data drives attached. One machine has an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256 MB) video card and the other a (flashed) NVidia 7800 GS card. Both machines had NVidia GeForce 4600 Ti cards installed. One has a Pioneer DVR-115D (with current firmware) installed internally and the other the same spec drive in a FW 800 enclosure. I have used a Pioneer DVR-112 in a FW 800 enclosure as well. There are PCI/USB 2 or PCI/USB 2 & FW 800 cards installed in each machine. Apple Airport and Bluetooth modules are installed in each machine.

The hard drives are a Maxtor 300 GB with WD 500 GB on one machine and WD 750 GB with WD 500 GB on the other. If you desire I will look up the exact models.

One machine also has the (Apple supplied) Seagate 120 GB PATA drive running off of the native PATA controller (the ATA 100 bus if I recall correctly (the drive bay in back) which is a bootable Leopard drive.

I have used booted from the above drives as well as Leopard and Tiger FW drives (both FW 400 and 800).

OS is presently 10.5.2 except for the one FW 400 drive that is configured with OS 10.4.11, EyeTV 2.5.2 and Toast 7.1.2 and the native PATA drive which is still at 10.5.1. I am unable to reinstall the OS 10.5.2 Combo Updater since installing the Airport update as has been reported by others.

I have experienced essentially the same set of problems with Toast 9.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2 with Leopard and Tiger. Lots of crashes, slow motion multiplexing and burning (hours at a time). Toast's CPU utilization is also rather odd. During some of the misadventures Toast will not make proper use of both processors. One will carry most of the load with the other carrying only a small amount. Then it will "flip" with the two exchanging loads. The total CPU utilization is lower than when a "good" process is occurring. (Multiplexing the files normally uses most available CPU cycles...a horsepower race.)

In my experience, Toast 9.x has been very erratic, indeed unstable. It will misbehave repeatedly for some period of time and then will (rarely) proceed in a comparatively normal manner, but only briefly. One other thing that Toast 9.x does is proceed to multiplex a file and somewhere typically around 1% to 4% will stop the process, displaying 0% multiplexed (interestingly, there is a brief drop in the CPU utilization of one processor when this happens) and will then proceed VERY slowly to multiplex the file and then burn it very slowly. More frequently, however, Toast 9.x will simply crash either during the multiplexing or burning of a disc or disc image (.toast file). Somehow or other selecting a different burn speed than the default "best" sometimes seems to briefly make a difference in the crashing during multiplexing, but it is not a "fix". (I am using 16X rated Verbatim SL discs.) I am able to use the "Export" option in EyeTV which exports the .eyetv file as a QuickTime file (using the Apple MPEG-2 plug-in) at good speed without fail).

Toast 9.x displays a time remaining for the burning process which has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual elapsed time in my experience so far. It also displays what appears to be an instantaneous burn speed and an average burn speed. With a "good" burn directly from the multiplexed file the displayed average burn speed is typically 3X or 4X. If I burn a disc from a .toast file saved (to try to reduce the number of coasters or Toasters as I now call them) Toast 9.x displays a notably faster average burn speed, typically 11X. As both of these burns should be speed limited by the burner itself or media, I find no ready explanation for this disparity.

Some of the crashes I have experienced have been similar to the ones posted on the closed thread that involved bad addresses and some have involved kernel protection failures which resulted in a crash of Toast, but no other applications and not the OS.

I have been through multiple reinstalls of Toast (trashing the plist and other files) as well as simply trashing the plist file. I originally purchased Toast 9 (one license is the download file and the other is the box set) when Toast 7.1.3 experienced essentially the same problems as I have described with Toast 9.x.

I have tested both Macs with TechTool Pro 4.6.1 (the Leopard update). I took the machine with the Apple supplied drive to the Apple Sore and spent an afternoon at the Genius Bar running the Apple Service Diagnostics and trying various and sundry things while I still had Toast 7.1.3 installed. ( I had previously zapped the PRAM and reset the NVRAM in Terminal.) One thing that the Apple guy tried was the "yes command" (yes > /dev/null) which simply saturates the CPUs to see what happens. That appeared to have made Toast 7.1.3 respond in a normal manner, but it was merely a brief, temporary state and may have been purely coincidental. The only ting that the ASD tests returned out of the ordinary was a perceived problem with the video card which was not surprising as the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro did not exist at the time the Mac was new and so we believe that it simply was not recognized by the test. It passed the TechTool Pro test and I had also run one or other of the graphics tests on it which gave it a passing test and a speed rating.

I will have to do this again as I believe that I ran Rember to test the RAM in the machines, but I have run so many tests and variations on things that I have begun to lose track of them.

One Mac has an EyeTV 250 Plus attached which is recording the "analog" channels in digital form (the cableco has parallel broadcasts of the lower channels for both analog and digital tuners). The EyeTV 250 Plus is attached directly to the coax cable. The other has an EyeTV 200 which is attached to the other Mac and is serving as an analog to digital converter from the output of the cableco's twin tuner DVR which has a "Record to VCR" feature which outputs the recording on component video plugs in analog (SD) format. In both instances I edit the recording (the .eyetv file) and then burn it to a DVD (standard DVD MPEG-2 playable on any DVD player) to archive it. I have been unable to determine any difference in the recorded .eyetv files based upon them being recorded from input with one EyeTV device or the other. I have exchanged files between the two Macs and have been unable to tell any difference in the way things happened. The very same file will go through each of the variations I have discussed at some point in time. Once Toast starts crashing, it appears that it is likely to continue crashing until it is sent to sit in the corner for a "time out" period like an ill-behaved, recalcitrant child.

I am sorry that my explanation is so long, but this is about as short as I could make it and cover the items I think explain what has been happening.

Let me know if I have missed something you need to know.

I am pleased to hear that you have not had problems like mine.

Thanks again,

Richard

P.S. I have a Digital Audio with a dual 1.8 GHz CPU upgrade from the now defunct GigaDesigns which I had been using in Tiger, but involves jumping through some hoops to make supposedly Leopard capable. I am going to put some drives back in it as a Tiger machine and use it to burn the EyeTV files with the OS 10.4.11, EyeTV 2.5.2, Toast 7.1.2 combo if I can not soon get things to work with any degree of regularity in Leopard. I had been using this with the EyeTV 200 until recently.

Crash reports have been filed with Apple, Roxio, and El Gato (EyeTV) as well as tech support requests with the latter two.

Richard,

Thanks for all the info. I can tell this problem is out of my league and belongs with Roxio's engineers. A wild guess on my part is that Toast is incompatible in some way with some of your hardware and apparently that has been true for multiple versions of Toast. Have you communicated with patatrox? If not, send him a personal message referring to this thread and mention whoever else at Roxio has been troubleshooting this.

You've probably already removed third-party plugins from the Quicktime folder in your Libraries. You might check if there are any plugins in the Library>Audio folder that could be at fault.

Your Macs are equipped too differently from mine for me to test anything.

Archived