• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Capture From Dvd

jmbusiness

Question

I have several home videos burned to DVDs in the mpeg-2 format. I did this using Roxio Plug & Burn from my digital camcorder to DVD. I did this because it was quick and self explanatory, and the result was fairly exceptional. But now I would like to capture sections or clips from each of these same DVDs. And with this compellation of highlights, I would edit and create another DVD. Kind of like a greatest moments DVD if you get where I am coming from. The point is I want to capture video from several DVD's and in the end put it back on one DVD.

So I open Roxio's capture feature and insert the DVD home video into my DVD drive, assuming that I will be able to view the DVD and stop and start capture as desired, but that is not the case. It seems like it will only allow me to copy the entire DVD. It doesn't even let me preview the DVD to cue it up, it only gives me the option of starting the copy.

Now I realize I could copy each entire DVD onto my hard disk, and then cut & clip as needed while editing but that seems like overkill when all I need is a small amount of footage overall from each DVD. That's kind of like buying a whole box of cereal and discarding all of the contents just to get to the toy inside. Plus my computer gets slow enough when I am playing around with video anyway, so adding full DVDs to my hard drive Im sure would really stop time.

Can anyone give me a hand here?

1 answer to this question

I have several home videos burned to DVDs in the mpeg-2 format. I did this using Roxio Plug & Burn from my digital camcorder to DVD. I did this because it was quick and self explanatory, and the result was fairly exceptional. But now I would like to capture sections or clips from each of these same DVDs. And with this compellation of highlights, I would edit and create another DVD. Kind of like a greatest moments DVD if you get where I am coming from. The point is I want to capture video from several DVD's and in the end put it back on one DVD.

So I open Roxio's capture feature and insert the DVD home video into my DVD drive, assuming that I will be able to view the DVD and stop and start capture as desired, but that is not the case. It seems like it will only allow me to copy the entire DVD. It doesn't even let me preview the DVD to cue it up, it only gives me the option of starting the copy.

Now I realize I could copy each entire DVD onto my hard disk, and then cut & clip as needed while editing but that seems like overkill when all I need is a small amount of footage overall from each DVD. That's kind of like buying a whole box of cereal and discarding all of the contents just to get to the toy inside. Plus my computer gets slow enough when I am playing around with video anyway, so adding full DVDs to my hard drive Im sure would really stop time.

Can anyone give me a hand here?

I would recommend that go go back to your digital tape and capture the desired clips from there. Also capture to avi because that will make it easier to edit as well as give you better quality. As far as I know there is no way to capture only small clips from the DVD without first "copying" the files to hard drive. Also the video on the DVD has been compressed and if used again it will be compressed once more when editing and burning.

Archived