• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Solves A Lot Of Problems - How To Do A Clean Install Or Reinstall Properly

TK_M

Question

I have followed the instructions from Roxio and from their self-help and even on here very carefully, but it just would not let me reinstall, saying "Unable to find a certificate file". This method should apply to any reinstall though, not just the certificate file problem. I'm sorry, but you will have to follow EVERY instruction and very carefully too in order to be able to get a good, clean install. It might take 3 hours or so, but it was worth it for me as EMC had never run as well or has ever been as stable as it is now.

1. (Taken from: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

Download the Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up Utility.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

Scroll down to and click on Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now.

Click on Save and choose to save it on your Desktop.

On your Desktop, double-click on msicuu2.exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to install

2. Go to:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

and download and install the freeware "RegSeeker" program

3. Disconnect the cable that links you to the internet.

4. (Taken from: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

Please disable your startup applications using MSCONFIG. This will disable any unnecessary background or system tray applications from loading.

Click on Start --> Type "msconfig" in the Search field and press Enter on your keyboard.

Select the Startup tab.

Click the Disable All button.

Click the Services tab.

Click the Manufacturer title bar and scroll down to Sonic Solutions and uncheck all Sonic applications.

Click the Apply, then the OK buttons and choose to restart when prompted. If you get a message that "the program maybe blocked", choose "Allow".

5. (Taken from: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

Click on Start -> All programs -> Windows Install Clean up

Holding down the "Control" button, left-click on all "Roxio", "Sonic", "EMC" (Easy Media Creator) and DirectXServiceInstall entries. (Being careful not to delete any other software that happens to use "Sonic" in their name like "Sonic Foundry")

Click on Remove

6. Restart the computer

7. Open Windows Explorer, or click on "My Computer" and go to the "Program Files" Folder. Delete all folders that are Roxio or Sonic (Being careful not to delete any other software that happens to use "Sonic" in their name like "Sonic Foundry").

Then go to "Documents and Settings" and check "All Users", "Default User" and Username, for any folders in "Application Data" or "Local Settings\Application Data" called "Roxio" or "Sonic". They should be deleted and you should find at least the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sonic

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Sonic

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Roxio

Close Windwos Explorer.

8. Run "RegSeeker".

Search for all entries that contain "Roxio".

Click on "Select All"

Make sure "Back up before deletion" is checked.

Right click on any entry and select "Delete", this will delete them all.

Repeat this for "Sonic" BUT if you have any other software installed with "Sonic" in their name, you will have to go through them all by hand and select only those that are related to the one you want to uninstall.

I found around 3,000 for "Roxio" and almost 500 for "Sonic" on my computer, but this may be due to me upgrading and having had so many problems and failed uninstalls perhaps...

9. Restart the computer again.

10. Install EMC 10. NOTE, If your installation comes in two parts, you should install only EMC 10 at this stage - NOT the content.

11. Restart the computer

12. Install the content now if yours comes as two files each about 750MB in size. If you only have one Installation file of about 1.4GB, please go straight onto step 14.

13. Restart the computer again.

14. Click on Start --> Type "msconfig" in the Search field and press Enter on your keyboard.

Select the Startup tab.

Re-enable all the start up items and services that had been running before you disabled them.

15. Restart the computer

16. Plug back in the cable that connects you to the internet.

17. Restart the computer yet again.

18. Click on the EMC icon and register the software to enable it.

19. You might need to also install any other Roxio or Sonic software you use, but obviously not any previous versions you have, only your most current ones.

Finally you should have a really fast and reliable install of EMC. It is wondeful software to use when it is working properly.

3 answers to this question

One thing you left out is doing Add/Remove from the Control Panel.

This uninstalls some folders and the like.

What you need to remember is the Microsoft Install Cleanup Utility is not a replacement for uninstalling an application.

All it is for is to cleanup remnants of the install routine.It does not delete folders or registry entries.It only cleans up information concerning the install instructions.You should run Add/Remove first and then run the MICU and delete any entries you find (if any).

Hi Terry,

Thank you for the help.

When Roxio emailed me trying to help me, they said I could use the Add/Remove method or the MSI method. I used the MSI method as they told me to, as I found by holding down control, it allowed me to highlight all the installations I wanted to get rid of, so that a single click processed them all.

I posted what I had done as it worked faultlessly for me, when everything else I had tried had sadly failed, perhaps because I was using version 10 upgraded from 9?

Thank you very much for your help.

One thing you left out is doing Add/Remove from the Control Panel.

This uninstalls some folders and the like.

What you need to remember is the Microsoft Install Cleanup Utility is not a replacement for uninstalling an application.

All it is for is to cleanup remnants of the install routine.It does not delete folders or registry entries.It only cleans up information concerning the install instructions.You should run Add/Remove first and then run the MICU and delete any entries you find (if any).

I did all of the steps but when I try and uninstall DirectXServiceInstall using the msicleaner it looks like it does it but when I go to check it is still there.

Any other way to uninstall DirectXServiceInstall.

Steve

Hi Terry,

Thank you for the help.

When Roxio emailed me trying to help me, they said I could use the Add/Remove method or the MSI method. I used the MSI method as they told me to, as I found by holding down control, it allowed me to highlight all the installations I wanted to get rid of, so that a single click processed them all.

I posted what I had done as it worked faultlessly for me, when everything else I had tried had sadly failed, perhaps because I was using version 10 upgraded from 9?

Thank you very much for your help.

Archived