big ry

Poor Quality Video Effects

Question

I installed EMC 10 on my computer (Dell Dimensions 510) and things were going fine, until I started adding video effects. For example, when applying the black and white effect, half of the picture remained in color. Same goes for other effects only partially applying. Anyone run into this problem?

7 answers to this question

I installed EMC 10 on my computer (Dell Dimensions 510) and things were going fine, until I started adding video effects. For example, when applying the black and white effect, half of the picture remained in color. Same goes for other effects only partially applying. Anyone run into this problem?

I haven't. Have you updated the drivers for your video card? What card do you have?

I haven't. Have you updated the drivers for your video card? What card do you have?

Thanks for the reply! I have an Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family and Direct X9c. Both seemed to fit the specs for the software. I tried downloading updated drivers from Dell's website (Dell Dimensions 5100), but that did not seem to work. I am going to try uploading an update posted to Roxio's site for EMC 10, but any other help you can provide would be much appreciated!

The Intel 82945G is a low end video chipset used on motherboards. Although it is DirectX 9 compliant, it does not FULLY support all of the commands needed for video editing and encoding with EMC 10.

Run Videowave or MyDVD

Click on TOOLS / OPTIONS

At the top of that dialog box, there should be a 'dot' beside SOFTWARE. If it is set to hardware for some reason, change it and click OK. You can also just click the graphics test button. That should also default to software when it finishes.

You can also check Intel's website for updated drivers. I believe the last one was 14.32.4 (Feb 2008)

Edited by ggrussell

The Intel 82945G is a low end video chipset used on motherboards. Although it is DirectX 9 compliant, it does not FULLY support all of the commands needed for video editing and encoding with EMC 10.

Run Videowave or MyDVD

Click on TOOLS / OPTIONS

At the top of that dialog box, there should be a 'dot' beside SOFTWARE. If it is set to hardware for some reason, change it and click OK. You can also just click the graphics test button. That should also default to software when it finishes.

You can also check Intel's website for updated drivers. I believe the last one was 14.32.4 (Feb 2008)

Thanks Gary! Hardware was clicked and at first glance, the graphics are much better when Software is checked (although the transistions are still a little choppy). I will also look for updated drivers. Can I replace my existing card with something better? I don't do any gaming and am just starting to do video editing, so, I don't need anything top of the line, but are there any good, lower end cards you would recommend? Thanks again for all the help.

Yes,, you should be able to add a better video card. First, check to see what type of empty slot you have ( AGP or PCI Express). If your computer was made in the past few years, the slot is most likely PCIe. You can find that info at the Dell's website. Once you have that info, shop around. There are plenty of under $100 cards that would work fine with Videowave/MyDVD.

Yes,, you should be able to add a better video card. First, check to see what type of empty slot you have ( AGP or PCI Express). If your computer was made in the past few years, the slot is most likely PCIe. You can find that info at the Dell's website. Once you have that info, shop around. There are plenty of under $100 cards that would work fine with Videowave/MyDVD.

Thanks again. One more stupid question - if I upgrade my video card, do I then go in and "hardware" box on EMC 10, or are these two issues not related? Thanks, this board has been more helpful than hours of other research! It's a real life saver for a beginner like me.

When you run Videowave or MyDVD first time after changing the video card, the graphics test should run automatically. If it doesn't, you can do that manually. If the card supports the needed commands, the 'dot' will stay on hardware.