• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Synchronizing Several Computers

lynn98109

The service is an alternative to a home network.

It's definitely NOT free and the thought of having the same files on each of my computers doesn't appeal to me.

They do offer a 'lite' sync which looks like they are doing the same thing as other online storage services. When you turn on your computer, they 'sync' your files and download or upload the current version. This may sound like a great idea, but if you're on a slow internet connection or the file is huge, it may take awhile for them to download the current version to your computer.

It'd be easier to get an external drive for those files and physically carry that drive to the other computer. You don't have to do all that downloading and uploading which can seriously slow down your computer.

Also, you can get the same service for free or for less cost from some other online storage companies.

The online storage is more of an incidental.

Lynn

Not really. If you read their materials carefully, you'll see that the way they keep them in sync is through the online storage.

This a direct quote from Mossberg's article ..... "Not only does SugarSync place the latest version of every file you designate for syncing on all your chosen computers, but it also creates an archive of these files on a special, password-protected Web page. That way, you can access the latest version of any file even when you are at a public or borrowed computer that lacks the SugarSync software."

The only way that I know of to do that is to upload your files to their online storage and then they'll download the updated copy to your other computers - whether you are at home or using your computer on the road. I have that with XDrive that comes free with my AOL service, and it really slows down your computers if you're dealing with large files. With video editing, it's almost impossible unless you have high speed internet.

Basically, their online storage is your 'home network.'

You obviously haven't read this article, Brendon - he's tried it jout and it sounds like after returning the review copy he bought himself a copy.

Lynn

I can do the same thing with the www.mediamax.com where I can get 25 GBs of storage for FREE. (They are obviously hoping you'll buy their premium services.)

There are other services who offer online storage and synching free too.

I believe in online storage, but synching is a different matter. It really depends on the type of file.

Mossberg only used Word documents which are much smaller than pictures or video. They require very little time to upload or download over a high speed connection.

If you don't believe me, try the free trial and see how easy it is to 'sync' with large MB or GB files and not have your work grind to a halt.

You obviously haven't read this article, Brendon - he's tried it jout and it sounds like after returning the review copy he bought himself a copy.

Lynn

It would be hopeful to think that Mossberg is mending his ways and actually starting to try out the stuff he pontificates on.

I think he's only there for entertainment, since anyone with any savvy who wants to find out things about computer hardware and software would read computer literature rather than a finance journal. :)

It would be hopeful to think that Mossberg is mending his ways and actually starting to try out the stuff he pontificates on.

I think he's only there for entertainment, since anyone with any savvy who wants to find out things about computer hardware and software would read computer literature rather than a finance journal. :)

Mossberg is known for thuroughly checking the software he is reviewing.

ONE TIME, in response to a very hot topic on which he had a lot of questions within several days, he didn't have time to contact the software company, test it, etc, and he checked other online reviews. The question had come up on the boards, and I thought it would be appropriate to mention it. And you, Brendon, have jumped on it, wallowed in it, totally enjoyed tossing ****balls with it, and considering yourself an authority because of it.

But then, anything you can do to harrass me seems to be something you enjoy.

Lynn

The title of this thead is Synchronizing Several Computers.

I said,

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20080403/sugar...licating-files/

Walt Mossberg has multiple computers, both Mac and PC, as an occupational hazard of evaluating software and hadware - and needs to keep them in sync.

He says SugarSync is the best one he's found so far. It also includes an online backup.

Lynn

I think that is pretty clear it is primarily about synchronizing computers. The online backup is merely incidental, as ml points out.

Lynn

The online backup is merely incidental, as ml points out.

That is NOT what I said.

Without a router, a wireless card, or a direct connection of two PCs, how do you think they DO the synchronization?????? Mental telepathy perhaps?

Synchronization is through the ONLINE STORAGE...... like other online storage companies do ( some for free ).

Even with a DSL connection, uploading and downloading large files for 'synchonization' is not a painless process. It's ok for small files, but if you think downloading programs is painful on a telephone connection, you should try synchronization.

Then again, nobody has suggested SugarSync is primarily for online storage.

And Walt Mossberg has found it is superior to other programs to synchronize multiple computers. I thought that might be of interest to some who frequent the Forums, but perhaps not.

I think somehow the subject got folded, spindled, and/or mutilated.

Lynn

Then again, nobody has suggested SugarSync is primarily for online storage.

They don't advertise it as an online storage service, but basically, that's what it is.

Question: If they don't use online storage, just how do they synchronize the computers? A road warrior won't have the computer turned on and connected to the internet while traveling in order to receive file updates.

How do they find the latest version of the file on computer #1 if computer #1 is not powered up?

The answer.....

1. Everytime you change or create a file on computer #1, the file is uploaded by SugarSync software to the online storage via the internet.

2. Then it downloads the current version of the file from the online storage to computer #2, computer #3, computer #4, etc.(if they are powered up and connected to the internet.... unless you turn that feature off and manually download it from the online storage.)

3. When you need the file on computer #2, the computer's SugarSync software accesses the SugarSync online storage and check to see if the computer has the current version of the file and downloads the file via the internet if it's not the current version.

4. Once you have saved changes on computer #2, SugarSync uploads the current file version to the SugarSync online storage via the internet and repeats step #2.

It's an automatic process that you don't see because the SugarSync software powers up in the background every time you change or create a file. It then automatically uploads the changes to the SugarSync online storage and downloads it to every computer that you've set up to 'sync'.

The software creates a 'network' by using the internet and online storage.

It may not be advertised as primarily for online storage, but that's exactly how it's 'synchronizing' the computers. I use a similar network primarily for online storage. Since it works in the background, you can find yourself with a VERY SLOW computer as it uploads and downloads the files. I don't let it do anything automatically anymore, but the online storage does allow me access to the most current version of a file from any computer.

The advertising for the product doesn't really tell you that it's using online storage and I'm not sure the reviewer understood it either, but the information is there in the advertising on the website if you know what to look for.

You should try synchronizing your two computers just once with it, Lyn.

I hope then you might get a better understanding of what is involved, and how the online storage is vital to the operation.

Archived