Alomost There...

MacElroy

Question

Okay, after fooling with toast 9 and many BD-RE reformats I finally burned a blu ray disc!

I first brought the 720 60p clip in and tried to burn it directly to the disc. I got an error -39 fork crap. So I saved it as an image file instead. Toast made the file quickly since it had already encoded the video.

After, that I bought the image into disc utility and burned it to a BD-RE.

Once that was done I was getting excited.. popped it into my Blu ray player and alas.. it played back but really jumpy and very fast. the picture quality was amazing though.

I wonder if there is a problem with 24p & 60p.. I have to do more test but next time I'll encode 30p footage and see if that works.

Eqipment

MacPro, leopard

Burner: LG-GGWH20L attached sata to usb

Panansonic Blu Ray Player: DMP-BD10

9 answers to this question

Hm... havent tried any mpeg2 files. As far as i can see toast 9 is very very picky about what files it likes to burn. I primarily use mov files
Well, mov is a container format that can contain various types of data, compressed by means of standardized audio/video codecs. What is the format of the video within the mov container?

Hi MacElroy, thank you for the work you've done on this. I wish Roxio would do the same to fix these problems. I have a SONY HD5 and final cut express. Can you tell me what settings you used to render your video (compression, resolution codec) and what settings you used in toast. Thank you very much.

Okay, here we go. I'm FINALLY successfully burning Blu ray videos from toast 9 using the LG-GGWH20L attached Sata to USB.

I've found from my tests that I'm still unable to burn 1080 24p, 720 24p, 720 60p to Blu ray.

However, I can successfully burn 1080 and 720 30p!.

Majority of test consisted of 1080 30p. I can burn both raw mov's from an EX1 and self contained mov's from final cut all at 1080&720 30p.

I'm totally relying on toast 9 compression tool. I've not been using compressor or any other compression tools, just toast.

Under OPTIONS in the Blu ray video i've selected MPEG-4 AVC

Maxed out the average and maximum bit rate to 26 mbps (Because my footage is 35mbps from the EX1, so tired to get close)

Motion estimate, Best

re encoding auto

field dominance auto

aspect ratio, 16:9

Clicked okay and burn and it worked fine.

I tested it on a Panansonic Blu Ray Player: DMP-BD10.

Now it's time to see why toast doesn't like 60p or 24p!

I'm totally relying on toast 9 compression tool. I've not been using compressor or any other compression tools, just toast.

Under OPTIONS in the Blu ray video i've selected MPEG-4 AVC

Maxed out the average and maximum bit rate to 26 mbps (Because my footage is 35mbps from the EX1, so tired to get close)

Motion estimate, Best

re encoding auto

field dominance auto

aspect ratio, 16:9

My source files are MPEG-2 transport stream files (HD EyeTV recordings; 1080i and 720p). When I use the settings above, Toast refuses to encode to MPEG-4 AVC... It simply multiplexes my original files. I've tried setting "Reencoding: Always" to no avail. Do you have any 1080i or 720p MPEG-2 files to try with?

My source files are MPEG-2 transport stream files (HD EyeTV recordings; 1080i and 720p). When I use the settings above, Toast refuses to encode to MPEG-4 AVC... It simply multiplexes my original files. I've tried setting "Reencoding: Always" to no avail. Do you have any 1080i or 720p MPEG-2 files to try with?

Hm... havent tried any mpeg2 files. As far as i can see toast 9 is very very picky about what files it likes to burn. I primarily use mov files and i dont really edit with mpeg at all.

Archived