Considering Toast 9 Upgrade To Gain Video Compatibility

llee

Question

Toast 8 cannot adequately convert 720p video captures that come from my EyeTV to a standard or dual-layer DVD format. When performing such a conversion, the motion quality suffers, presumably because of a faulty telecined 60 fps to 30 fps conversion. Because of this, I spent a great deal of time learning to make conversions of the 720p source files (produced by exporting to mpeg2 program stream in EyeTV 2.5) into 24 fps mpg files with mencoder. Here is 2-pass example of the mencoder conversion strategy I'm using. It works in the latest svn update of mencoder compiled and executed either on Tiger or Leopard with the appropriate versions of the OS X Developer Tools installed.

mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -vf framestep=2,filmdint=fast=0,softskip,harddup,scale=720:480,hqdn3d=2:1:2 -noskip -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:trell:mbd=2:cbp:vqmin=1:lmin=1:dc=10:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_max

rate=9200:vbitrate=7600:keyint=18:aspect=16/9:vpass=1:turbo -fps 60000/1001 -ofps 24000/1001 -o /dev/null inputfile.mpg && mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -vf framestep=2,filmdint=fast=0,softskip,harddup,scale=720:480,hqdn3d=2:1:2 -noskip -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:trell:mbd=2:cbp:vqmin=1:lmin=1:dc=10:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_max

rate=9200:vbitrate=7600:keyint=18:aspect=16/9:vpass=2:turbo -fps 60000/1001 -ofps 24000/1001 -o outputfile.mpg inputfile.mpg

I can author a VIDEO_TS folder based on the output of the above command using dvdauthor that plays on my set top player, but I would like to use Toast so I can more easily get a scene menu, meager thought it may be. Toast 8 can't handle this 24 fps output video very well when I set reencoding to never (necessary to preserve acceptable motion quality) and accept default chapter markers. Although I can manage to get it to play on my set top box, both Apple DVD Player and VLC choke on it immediately after the first chapter mark is reached.

So, can Toast 9 handle conversion of telecined 720p captures from EyeTV with smooth motion preserved?

If not, can Toast 9 take my 24 fps mpeg2 file and make a standard DVD with a scene menu that plays correctly in Apple DVD Player, in vlc, and on my set top DVD player without reencoding? Thanks.

2 answers to this question

With Toast 8 did you try turning on Half-Pel in the Custom Encoder settings window when using those 720P files?

Yes, I tried that. I've tried many combinations of custom settings. I didn't get results that were any better than when using simple settings. I could get better picture quality, just not better motion quality. I also tried export directly to Toast from EyeTV with many combinations of settings.

Maybe if I spend the effort with dvdauthor that I spent with mencoder, I'll manage to get a scene menu command line. Or I guess I could look into DVD Studio Pro or Encore. Thanks.

With Toast 8 did you try turning on Half-Pel in the Custom Encoder settings window when using those 720P files?

I can't answer your question other than to say that Roxio has a refund policy when users try Toast 9 purchased as a download from Roxio and decide to return it.

Archived