• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Inconsistent Burn Times & Player Compatibility

giorgio

Question

:mellow: Inconsistent burn times & player compatibility

I’m using EMC 10 (updated last week) on my Dell XPS 600 with duel 3 gig processor and over 500 gb free in the drive. I use Windows Media Center to capture movies off sat TV. Since I watch mostly old movies on TCM, most movies are unprotected. I use My DVD to edit, clip and burn some to a video DVD so they can be played back on my big screen TV. Although I have burned over 50 movies with no problem, recently most of the movies I burn don’t playback on my big screen DVD player. They will play on a newer player upstairs.

I have noted that while encoding, movies that will playback, display the tag “MPEG” in the preview box. These MPEG movies encode and burn in about 15 minutes. Movies that will only play on the DVD upstairs display the entire movie in the display box while encoding and take 21/2 to 3 hours to encode and burn. Why is that? Is there a way to record/save all my movies in this MPEG mode?

I’m using the same DVD+R brand discs I always have. All the movies came off TCM and were made in the mid 50’s and I recorded them about the same time, yet only 1 out of 20 will play back on the big screen DVD player. :blink:

Thanks in advance for your help.

Giorgio

3 answers to this question

Thanks for the info. Since I recorded all my movies from the same source, about the same time, I don't understand why the file formats would be different. Why are only a few recorded in .mpeg?

If most are not, how do I change the file type of a recorded movie to .mpeg before opening My DVD?

Now that I think about it. I don't even know how to tell what the file format is before I open my DVD.

Thanks for help.

Giorgio

Open the folder on your computer using Windows, in the top menu select tools then folder options then view. Scroll down and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types. Switch to details view. You should see all the extensions.

Another tool is Gspot (link) which will tell you what codec was used for the video file and/or if it was installed.

If you recorded the file as an avi, leave it there. No need to convert it. AVI files are large but are quicker to edit. If you captured as mpg2, then there is no need to convert, just use it as is. Mpg2 is a smaller file and slower to edit because of decoding and then encoding back to mpg2 as you edit.

If the mpg2 file is already DVD compliant, then the encoding when you go to burn the file to a disc will be fast except around the areas when you have edited. If it is not compliant or is compliant but you are trying to put a lot of video time on the dic, then the encoding time will be long to compress the file to fit on a disc.

Brian may have been thinking about VOB files. Don't worry about that unless the files were copied from a DVD and they are indeed VOB. I threw that in just in case you do see some VOB files. I really doubt it.

Brian may have been watching a baseball game when he posted.

As for playing on the older unit vs the newer one on the large screen, not all players like home burned DVD. It seems like the more expensive ones are more particular. First buy good quality blanks, not Memorex and no store brand. When you go to burn the videos in MyDVD, burn (encode) to an ISO file. Name the file and where you want it placed. When the encoding finishes, simply use Copy and Convert or Creator Classic to copy the ISO file to the disc. may people have more success with different players by burning to the ISO file (or folders) and then copying the ISO to a disc. If you are doing this and the time on the video will be more than about one hour, the program will compress it to fit at the best possible resolution.

As a second check, once you make the ISO file, go to the Tools Tab in EMC10 and mount a virtual drive. Add that ISO and then use CinePlayer to watch it. If it is OK, just copy the ISO as above.

I’m using EMC 10 (updated last week) on my Dell XPS 600 with duel 3 gig processor and over 500 gb free in the drive. I use Windows Media Center to capture movies off sat TV. Since I watch mostly old movies on TCM, most movies are unprotected. I use My DVD to edit, clip and burn some to a video DVD so they can be played back on my big screen TV. Although I have burned over 50 movies with no problem, recently most of the movies I burn don’t playback on my big screen DVD player. They will play on a newer player upstairs.

I have noted that while encoding, movies that will playback, display the tag “MPEG” in the preview box. These MPEG movies encode and burn in about 15 minutes. Movies that will only play on the DVD upstairs display the entire movie in the display box while encoding and take 21/2 to 3 hours to encode and burn. Why is that? Is there a way to record/save all my movies in this MPEG mode?

I’m using the same DVD+R brand discs I always have. All the movies came off TCM and were made in the mid 50’s and I recorded them about the same time, yet only 1 out of 20 will play back on the big screen DVD player. :blink:

Giorgio

Giorgio

The gray window with .mpg displaying means the video is DVD compliant and does not need encoding which is why the time to create and burn is so much shorter. My advice would be to recreate the file from the movie if possible, or recapture it and then try to burn it. I have found that bringing the same file into MyDVD more than once to encode it or use it in a project may result in unreliable results. Strive to have the movie DVD compliant before bringing it into MyDVD.

Thanks for the info. Since I recorded all my movies from the same source, about the same time, I don't understand why the file formats would be different. Why are only a few recorded in .mpeg?

If most are not, how do I change the file type of a recorded movie to .mpeg before opening My DVD?

Now that I think about it. I don't even know how to tell what the file format is before I open my DVD.

Thanks for help.

Giorgio

Archived