• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Limit On Size Of Restored Files?

PB4923

Question

I'm using EMC 10, Creator Classic, to save zipped copies of Windows backup files. Some of the files are in the range of 4 GB. They span across 6 CDs. I have no problems creating the discs. When I attempt to restore the files, I click on the Launch_Retrieve.exe icon on CD 1 and specify the file and retrieval path. Everything goes fine until it is done with CD 4. Instead of prompting me for CD 5, it says "The retrieve process has been successfully completed". I click on the 'restored' file (a zip archve), and get a message that the zip file is an invalid archive. Not a big surprise at this point, since the Launch_retrieve program didn't restore the contents of CD 5 and 6.

I've tried this on a number of large files. The 6-CD files all stop restoring at file size 2849704 KB. Files that I save that are smaller than that, but still span CDs, restore fine.

I am running EMC 10, Creator Classic, on a server that is installed with Windows Server 2003, SP2, x64 edition.

My questions: 1) Is 2849704 KB (about 2.7 GB) the maximum size of a file that can be restored with EMC 10 Creator Classic ?

2) If the answer above is yes, then why does EMC 10 allow me to burn files that are too large to be restored?

2 answers to this question

I'm using EMC 10, Creator Classic, to save zipped copies of Windows backup files. Some of the files are in the range of 4 GB. They span across 6 CDs. I have no problems creating the discs. When I attempt to restore the files, I click on the Launch_Retrieve.exe icon on CD 1 and specify the file and retrieval path. Everything goes fine until it is done with CD 4. Instead of prompting me for CD 5, it says "The retrieve process has been successfully completed". I click on the 'restored' file (a zip archve), and get a message that the zip file is an invalid archive. Not a big surprise at this point, since the Launch_retrieve program didn't restore the contents of CD 5 and 6.

I've tried this on a number of large files. The 6-CD files all stop restoring at file size 2849704 KB. Files that I save that are smaller than that, but still span CDs, restore fine.

I am running EMC 10, Creator Classic, on a server that is installed with Windows Server 2003, SP2, x64 edition.

My questions: 1) Is 2849704 KB (about 2.7 GB) the maximum size of a file that can be restored with EMC 10 Creator Classic ?

2) If the answer above is yes, then why does EMC 10 allow me to burn files that are too large to be restored?

I don't know why it won't let you, but I think you just found out why it is a bad idea to span discs, especially with compressed files. It is better practice to see what fits on one disc, then burn it, and repeat as necessary, until you have all of your important data burned to discs. No retrieve program needed.

No Roxio program has ever been made to run on a Server. That is strictly Use at Your Own Risk.

And now you know why…

I will try to replicate but I doubt I can reproduce it on approved OS.

Edit: I am getting similar results! On the 4th CD it says there was an "Error Reading the CD" I am on disc 3 of 6 of burning a new set with different settings and will let you know...

Archived