• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

storm965

Data Disc - Video Files - Audio Heard But No Video

Question

Hi

I hade some avi files that a friend needed and when I copied them as data to a dvd, they stated that they could hear eveything but all they could see was the screen savers that windows shows while listening to music. Any suggestions? The disc plays fine on my pc.

9 answers to this question

Hi

I hade some avi files that a friend needed and when I copied them as data to a dvd, they stated that they could hear eveything but all they could see was the screen savers that windows shows while listening to music. Any suggestions? The disc plays fine on my pc.

If they turned screen savers off what could they see? :lol:

What player were they using?

Download Gspot (google) have them load the video file into the program and see if they have the correct codecs.

cd

I think he meant the 'skins' in Windows Media Player.

Media Player does not come with the codecs to play AVI or mpgs.

Maybe someone can suggest a source.

Hi

Please understande that I am dealing with someone who just knows how to turn on there pc (like putting gas in the car and driving :lol: )

He was using real player in Vista. He won't be able to try it again until tomorrow and then he is going to try windows media player ( he couldn't tell me what version).

In the meantime I will give him the copy of g-spot and maybe that will help him out. I tried it (the disc) on my pc on media player and realplayer with no problem whatsoever.

He has also never updated anything because he didn't know he should. :rolleyes:

Will let you know tomorrow how this turns out. Thanks for everything!

Guest ml

I think the Windows Media Player in Vista is set to Music as default. There is an icon in the upper left hand corner to change it to video. It sounds like it's trying to play only the music on that DVD.

Probably the easiest thing for him to do would be to go to the Start\ Control Panel\ AutoPlay Settings and under Video Files change it to either Play with Windows Media Player or Play with Windows Media Center. Make certain he has the Use Autoplay for all media devices selected. Then he might have to restart the computer to get the settings to work. I haven't personally tried this because I don't have an avi file on a DVD at my desk. All my Autoplay settings are set to 'ask'.

Guest RCD74

I am just going to throw this out there. When I first got my PC and didn't have EMC10 installed, all my divx files played that way in Windows Media Center b/c I didn't have the proper codecs installed. It would play the sound or music from the video and showed the funky lines and shapes but no video. Once I installed EMC10 (which installs these codecs automatically), all my divx files played video and sound correctly in Windows Media Center. Again, not an expert on this here, but this was my experience. Therefore, I am going to go out on a limb and assume your friend needs this codec to play the files.

Rachel

I am going to go out on a limb and assume your friend needs this codec to play the files.

Must be a echo in here..... :unsure:

Perhaps you misunderstood what I said in post #2.. :angry2:

Without poking a stick at the file, what codec would only be a guess...I do think we're in agreement he is missing one! :blink:

OOOoooor, he's a inexperienced user like the poster said. Another thing he's using Real Player in Vista. :lol:

cd

Guest RCD74
Must be a echo in here..... :unsure:

Perhaps you misunderstood what I said in post #2.. :angry2:

Without poking a stick at the file, what codec would only be a guess...I do think we're in agreement he is missing one! :blink:

OOOoooor, he's a inexperienced user like the poster said. Another thing he's using Real Player in Vista. :lol:

cd

Sorry, just trying to help. :mellow:

Rachel

Sorry, just trying to help. :mellow:

Rachel

No need to be sorry. We have all been guilty of the "echo" at one time or another. :)