• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc9 De Version And Copying Video Files To Dvd

Chris15

Question

Last year I bought a new Dell computer. Amongst the "free" software provided was Roxio EMC9 DE version. This cut down version has several functions missing.

For example, In MyDVD it is not possible to edit or add chapters, although it is possible to trim a title. There are only a few menus available.

However, I have been able to use MyDVD to copy some files recorded on my Topfield PVR to DVD.

I hope these notes on what I have discovered are useful to anyone copying video files to DVD. Some of the comments may also apply to the full versions of EMC.

Files copied from a PVR need to be converted to standard mpeg files for EMC. There are a number of free programs available to do this.

I have used both "MPEG Streamclip" and "Project X" but, in both cases, it is advisable to pass files through "PVAStrumento" to correct any audio faults.

See the user forum for your own PVR for detailed advice on this.

If you have the DE version of MyDVD, which does not edit, you will need to edit the mpeg files if you wish to remove commercial breaks, although MyDVD

allows you to trim the start and end of the file.

Open Roxio Creator Home and select Quick DVD (MyDVD Express).

Occassionally the default DVD menu does not appear. If so you will need to restart your PC.

Select "Add New Movie". MyDVD will attempt to display a thumbnail picture of each file. It may crash if presented with files that it cannot read so, put the mpeg files that you want to use in a separate folder before opening EMC.

When adding files note the pixel size of the file when you select it.

Highlighting the name on the menu allows you change the name and to select "Trim movie".

Creating the DVD can take anything between 30 minutes and several hours depending on whether MyDVD decides to re-encode it or not. To reduce to need to re-encode, select the pixel size and bit rate to match the input file. Selecting LP seems to give the best results. Re-encoding also increases the possibility of introducing Audio/video sync errors. Do not use the "Fit to disc" option which re-encodes to increase the bit rate, taking a long time for no improvement in quality. The "Fit to disc" option cannot be used to reduce the bit rate to fit more material on the DVD.

Use the preview function before burning a disc. Check that audio is present and in sync.

Only 3 menu style are provided on the DE version. However, it is possible to amend the program files to change them. The background picture and music are to be found in c:/Program Files/Roxio/VideoUI9/Content/Video and c:/Program Files/Roxio/VideoUI9/Content/Audio.

It is possible to create your own background .wmv and audio .mp3 files. Disable an existing file by adding an extra letter to the file name and give the original file name to your new file.

Hope this is useful.

3 answers to this question

That is an awful lot of work to try to make an OEM. You are loading your PC up with extra programs and wasting time pre processing through them.

The alternative would be to dump the junk and buy a Retail version! It will work directly with video files and have all of the features you are missing…

I understand that I would get a full range of features by buying the retail version. However, as far as I can see, the retail version does not support any additional input file formats. Easy Media Creator will read .tivo and .ts files, but does not read the .rec files produced by my Topfield PVR. Therefore I would still need to use other software to convert to these files to an .mpg file.

Also Easy Media Creator seems to take a long time to re-encode many files. Although the retail version has more features, there is no indication that it will run any faster on the same machine. I may decide that for this task I should buy some more basic software that works better with my computer.

While OEM versions provided with new computers and trial versions are useful for helping users decide what to buy. I have not been able to find a clear description of what the limitations of an OEM version are and what you will get extra if you buy the full version. The help files on EMC just say "Depending on the software version you are running, some of the features described below may not be available."

I have noticed several posts on this forum from users asking why some features do not work, who are obviously unclear what features they have on their version.

More information in the help files or on the Roxio website about the limitations of OEM versions would be useful.

Chris15

What is contained in a OEM version is what ever the oem (Dell,HP,Madog etc, etc) provider has licensed from Roxio . You would have to check with the individual OEM provider for that.

OEM provider's are responsible for all support for their versions.

Archived