File Conversion Changes Video Content

mikernola

Question

I think EMC 10 has made me crazy. I have a security system that uploads video to an NVR in file type .M65. We use a proprietary viewer that has the option to export the files to .avi. The .avi files can be viewed with DivX Player.

I need to burn these .avi files to a DVD that can be viewed on a standard DVD player. So I thought EMC 10 would solve all of my problems. However; every time I tried to burn the .avi's to DVD, I got the dreaded 0x80004005 error. Tried it on 3 PC's all with different graphics cards and DVD burners all upgraded to the latest and greatest drivers.

So, I thought maybe I should use EMC 10 to convert the .avi's to something else and try burning THAT to a DVD. So I converted the .avi's to .mp2.

Sure enough, I could burn the .mp2 to a DVD without the error msg. However, when I played it back, it was not the same video. I looked at the source .avi and the output .mp2 and the file names have the same "streamnnn-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" file name, but the avi plays video time stamped 12/18 and the mp2 plays video time stamped 12/10. How is this possible????

I've gone back and looked at the avi's to make sure they are the right video and have used EMC to convert them to mp4 and burn that to a DVD. We'll see what happens when that is finished, but this seems weird to me.

Here it is: On the MP4 burn, the time stamp says 12/18, but the video being played is from 12/10. THis is nuts!

1 answer to this question

I think EMC 10 has made me crazy. I have a security system that uploads video to an NVR in file type .M65. We use a proprietary viewer that has the option to export the files to .avi. The .avi files can be viewed with DivX Player.

I need to burn these .avi files to a DVD that can be viewed on a standard DVD player. So I thought EMC 10 would solve all of my problems. However; every time I tried to burn the .avi's to DVD, I got the dreaded 0x80004005 error. Tried it on 3 PC's all with different graphics cards and DVD burners all upgraded to the latest and greatest drivers.

So, I thought maybe I should use EMC 10 to convert the .avi's to something else and try burning THAT to a DVD. So I converted the .avi's to .mp2.

Sure enough, I could burn the .mp2 to a DVD without the error msg. However, when I played it back, it was not the same video. I looked at the source .avi and the output .mp2 and the file names have the same "streamnnn-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" file name, but the avi plays video time stamped 12/18 and the mp2 plays video time stamped 12/10. How is this possible????

I've gone back and looked at the avi's to make sure they are the right video and have used EMC to convert them to mp4 and burn that to a DVD. We'll see what happens when that is finished, but this seems weird to me.

Here it is: On the MP4 burn, the time stamp says 12/18, but the video being played is from 12/10. THis is nuts!

Maybe a proprietary export?

Archived