• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Retrieve Data Procedure

sewerplanter

Question

I successfully loaded a cd with files (that I can use for my computerized sewing machine which uses a floppy drive). I am unable to take the files off the Cd, because when I hilight them with a right click i get only the message remove or rename. I am using a HP dv 9000 with Vista . roxio faq staes there is a retrieve button but I can not find it. would someone tell me the steps I need to retrieve data from a rewriteable cd. thank you Julie

8 answers to this question

I successfully loaded a cd with files (that I can use for my computerized sewing machine which uses a floppy drive). I am unable to take the files off the Cd, because when I hilight them with a right click i get only the message remove or rename. I am using a HP dv 9000 with Vista . roxio faq staes there is a retrieve button but I can not find it. would someone tell me the steps I need to retrieve data from a rewriteable cd. thank you Julie

How did you burn files to the CD? Hopefully not with Drag to Disc.

How are you trying to take the files off of the CD, and where are you trying to put them? You mentioned a floppy drive, but that begs the question of why you put them on a CD. More clarification is needed.

How did you burn files to the CD? Hopefully not with Drag to Disc.

How are you trying to take the files off of the CD, and where are you trying to put them? You mentioned a floppy drive, but that begs the question of why you put them on a CD. More clarification is needed.

I followed the steps in the roxio tutorial, adding them( add folders), saving individually, then add them as a project ( add files). The last step was to use the orange action button and the last message said i was successfull.

In the E drive I opened the folders (had to do twice) till I got to the file wanted. when i hilighted that file a right click only got the response:rename or remove, no send or copy. I need the file on a floppy inorder to use it in a sewing machine computer (Brother). Floppy manufacture is going away and their storage is not good for a long time-so I am told. I want to store my sewing files and retrieve them after time. The new sewing machines have usb ports and better ways to save and get the files. I would like to be able to use my sewing machine for awhile yet. Julie

If you used Classic, your disc structure should look like the picture below.

Run the 'Launch_Retrieve.exe' program.

post-39730-1207307935.jpg

Yes I used creator basic. I read library CD DVD recording for Dummies 2004 which doesn't talk about that. before I launch that program how do I get out of it afterwards, what does the program do? and what are the steps to retrieve the file I want. I am feeling my way around the computer and I have no help other than library and paying best buy $140 to reinstall. I am particularily angry that I was charged when the computer was only 6 months old. Julie

Yes I used creator basic. I read library CD DVD recording for Dummies 2004 which doesn't talk about that. before I launch that program how do I get out of it afterwards, what does the program do? and what are the steps to retrieve the file I want. I am feeling my way around the computer and I have no help other than library and paying best buy $140 to reinstall. I am particularily angry that I was charged when the computer was only 6 months old. Julie

You get out of that program just like every Windows program you have ever seen, click the X in the upper right corner…

You place a check mark by the ones you want to retrieve and when you click on the icon at the upper right, it will prompt you as to where you want ot retrieve them to.

Either BROWSE to a new location, or WRITE DOWN the default location so you can find them later.

FYI: All of the Gurus here highly recommend you never allow disc spanning to take place. It is media voodoo and will lead you to doom sooner or later!

You get out of that program just like every Windows program you have ever seen, click the X in the upper right corner…

You place a check mark by the ones you want to retrieve and when you click on the icon at the upper right, it will prompt you as to where you want ot retrieve them to.

Either BROWSE to a new location, or WRITE DOWN the default location so you can find them later.

FYI: All of the Gurus here highly recommend you never allow disc spanning to take place. It is media voodoo and will lead you to doom sooner or later!

I thought the exe program might reinstall the roxio software, that is why I hesitate doing any thing in the D drive( Roxio came within the laptop and is only available in the reinstall disc). When I went D drive, the screen said do not enter unless you know what you are doing. Can I ask what is disc spanning? Julie

I thought the exe program might reinstall the roxio software, that is why I hesitate doing any thing in the D drive( Roxio came within the laptop and is only available in the reinstall disc). When I went D drive, the screen said do not enter unless you know what you are doing. Can I ask what is disc spanning? Julie

Disc spanning is allowing the computer to put part of a file on one disc (nearly full) and then the rest of the file on another (new) disc. If either of the discs have problems or the computer doesn't like to read the spanned file, then you have lost everything on both.

A clean install would be the last option if the program is acting up. You can go to Windows, Control Panel, Add or remove Programs. When the Windows fills, scroll down to EMC 9 program and click on it. You'll get an option to repair. Use that. I don't have Vista on this computer but you should be able to find it. You'll probably find a Control Panel shortcut on your desktop screen.

Disc spanning is allowing the computer to put part of a file on one disc (nearly full) and then the rest of the file on another (new) disc. If either of the discs have problems or the computer doesn't like to read the spanned file, then you have lost everything on both.

A clean install would be the last option if the program is acting up. You can go to Windows, Control Panel, Add or remove Programs. When the Windows fills, scroll down to EMC 9 program and click on it. You'll get an option to repair. Use that. I don't have Vista on this computer but you should be able to find it. You'll probably find a Control Panel shortcut on your desktop screen.

Thank you for that information. I have discovered what I was doing wrong, when I thought I had burnt a successful data disc. I had the good fortune to connect with a computer Geek at Best Buy who erased the disc I had and went through the process of loading a RW with the data I had saved on my hard drive. He also showed me how to add more, too. I hope he doesn't get into trouble for spending the time with me. The problem was I was making new projects, the icon was burned but not the data(hence the remove or rename only choice). I should not use the project button (it isn't necessary in my case). The transfer button refers to when I burn additional files ,{I need to include the files that were already on the disc(or they get erased)}. When I took a library class ,yesterday,on how to load auto books I discovered another world in using a MPG3(I don't have one yet). Their download instructions use Windows Media Player. At least there is someone I can ask if I have a problem. I thank every one for their assistance on my Roxio issue. Julie

Archived