Isps Hog Rights In Fine Print

cdanteek

article

NEW YORK - What's scary, funny and boring at the same time? It could be a bad horror movie. Or it could be the fine print on your Internet service provider's contract.

Other common clauses of ISP contracts:

ISPs can read your e-mail

Wiretapping laws may also apply, but the situation is unclear.

ISPs can block you from Web sites.

The ISP sees itself as the sole judge of whether something is appropriate.

ISPs can shut you down for using the connection too much

Oddly, some ISPs, like Cox, say it's the responsibility of subscribers to ensure that they don't hog the traffic of other subscribers, a determination that's impossible for a home broadband user. Cox, however, does make the monthly download and upload limits public on its Web site.

Time Warner Cable Inc. has said it will test putting public caps on how much new subscribers in Beaumont, Texas, can download per month, and charge them more if they go over.

The only odd thing I've got experience with regarding an isp is that of a friend with sympatico (up here in Canada, eh).

For a few weeks, she'd been told by friends that emails were sent, but she never recieved them. She contacted sympatico to find the cause and was informed by a tech that he'd "resend" them.

I kid you not, but she then recieved 806 emails. She got an inbox full of all her emails from the last 4 years!

Now, I just have to wonder why an isp would hold onto so many emails for so long. They've got to have millions of them if they're holding onto all customer emails like this.

But a lesson to be learned for sure for all those out there that think their emails exist on their hard drives only once they've downloaded them. There really is no such thing privacy once you connect that ethernet cable to the back of your tower and click "send".

The only odd thing I've got experience with regarding an isp is that of a friend with sympatico (up here in Canada, eh).

For a few weeks, she'd been told by friends that emails were sent, but she never recieved them. She contacted sympatico to find the cause and was informed by a tech that he'd "resend" them.

I kid you not, but she then recieved 806 emails. She got an inbox full of all her emails from the last 4 years!

Now, I just have to wonder why an isp would hold onto so many emails for so long. They've got to have millions of them if they're holding onto all customer emails like this.

But a lesson to be learned for sure for all those out there that think their emails exist on their hard drives only once they've downloaded them. There really is no such thing privacy once you connect that ethernet cable to the back of your tower and click "send".

Not really a "me too" post, but about 7 years ago, I still had dial up service, through a local ISP. One late afternoon, I checked my e-mail, and and it started downloading 700+ e-mails! They were from a 3-year period, and many of them had attachments, and there was no way I could prevent downloading all of them.

I downloaded 100 at a time, and it took over an hour for each 100. I would then cancel out and start another batch download, later on. It took two messing around for 2 days to download them. I called the ISP and asked them what was wrong. They mentioned something about flushing their server, so I asked them if they did this to everyone and was told yes. I then asked why they didn't just do something that didn't involve dumping all of these e-mails to their customers and was told that they can't. I immediately told them that I would no longer be needing their service, and asked for a refund of my unused time for the month. They wouldn't do that. I was talking to the owner, and I said some things that I can't post here.

Archived