Adaptec Cd-r Filter Driver, Unable To Install Xp

Hi, I have a Windows 2000 system and am trying to upgrade to XP. I used to have Easy CD Creator version 4 installed a few years ago, but uninstalled it a few years ago. XP's installer stops before it starts, saying "Adaptec CD-R Filter Driver" is not compatible.

So, after much searching I found a program called roxizap.exe which I hoped would finish uninstalling everything from before. I ran that, it said OK and asked me to reboot which I did. XP's installer still tells me that the Adaptec CD-R Filter Driver is not compatible.

I've searched in the WINNT/system32/ folder for CDR* files - nothing there (other than CDROM drivers). No CDV* or CDU* files in the system32 folder either.

I'm at my wits end. What am I missing? I bought Easy Media Creator 10 today but can't install it on Windows 2000. I have to upgrade to XP but can't. Please help!

Pkbarbiedoll,

Most folks recommend doing a fresh install of XP, rather than an update over Win2000. That involves shifting any important files, formatting C:, and then reinstalling all your applications. If you can do that, it will alleviate any problems from the old installation.

If you don't want to do that, try finding and deleting Adaptec's VXD files from your \Windows\System32 directory. Perhaps just rename them to something else than .VXD for a start, so you can rename them back if you strike something crucial which the system needs.

The files you're most likely to want to remove are cdr4vsd.vxd; cdralvsd.vxd, and perhaps cdudf.vxd. Forgive me for my lack of precision, but it's been a long time.

Direct CD may have installed .sys files rather than .vxd files in Windows 2000. If you can't find the .vxd files or removing them doesn't help this problem, please come back to me and I'll try to find out what W2K might be doing differently.

Regards,

Brendon

I didn't miss you saying that the first time. It is CDROM drivers that we're talking about.

The little information I've been able to find suggests that it's Adaptec's CDR4 module that XP doesn't like. What CDR* files are showing in your system?

Regards,

Brendon

Archived