"unable To Open File" Error Message

bigman2367

Question

Lately I've been trying to make DVD copies of old VHS tapes I have. To do so I first have to record the video using Windows Media Center. When I bring the video into MYDVD I need to convert to an editable format. Part way through the convesion process the bar stop moving goes blank and I get a message that some something to the effect of "Unable to open file. You may not have permission to do so"

I was curious if there was a fix for it, or if anyone can give me the heads up as to how to avoid this message?

I've don't plenty of converting in the past, but it seems the last half dozen times or so, I get this message.

Thanks in advance

3 answers to this question

I use Media Centre because I am using it as a DVR, to schedule and record my favorite shows, therefore I believe I am capturing in dvr-ms format. Media Import does work, however I cannot schedule recording with it.

I have approximately 150gigs of free harddrive space, and run malware checks and defrags weekly.

I am the administrator of the PC.

I have gone through this process of successfully using Media Center to record and converting the video using Roxio HUNDREDS of times in the past year, I just can't understand why all of a sudden the last half dozen recording won't seem to convert.

Could be any number of reasons from a hiccup of the computer/program to an install of a new program. Have you added any software that could have changed the codec or codec priority? Have you done any registry cleaning lately?

Have you tried a Windows, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, repair.

Lately I've been trying to make DVD copies of old VHS tapes I have. To do so I first have to record the video using Windows Media Center. When I bring the video into MYDVD I need to convert to an editable format. Part way through the convesion process the bar stop moving goes blank and I get a message that some something to the effect of "Unable to open file. You may not have permission to do so"

I was curious if there was a fix for it, or if anyone can give me the heads up as to how to avoid this message?

I've don't plenty of converting in the past, but it seems the last half dozen times or so, I get this message.

Thanks in advance

Please edit your last sentence to reflect what you wanted to say.

Why do you have to use Media Center? Does Media Import in Roxio not work? What format are you capturing?

How much free space do you have on that hard drive? When was the last time you defragged that drive. What about checking for malware? Make sure that you have nothing else not required to be running running. This includes your antivirus (disconnect from the Internet).

Are you the administrator on your computer and did you install the program from that account?

Please edit your last sentence to reflect what you wanted to say.

Why do you have to use Media Center? Does Media Import in Roxio not work? What format are you capturing?

How much free space do you have on that hard drive? When was the last time you defragged that drive. What about checking for malware? Make sure that you have nothing else not required to be running running. This includes your antivirus (disconnect from the Internet).

Are you the administrator on your computer and did you install the program from that account?

I use Media Centre because I am using it as a DVR, to schedule and record my favorite shows, therefore I believe I am capturing in dvr-ms format. Media Import does work, however I cannot schedule recording with it.

I have approximately 150gigs of free harddrive space, and run malware checks and defrags weekly.

I am the administrator of the PC.

I have gone through this process of successfully using Media Center to record and converting the video using Roxio HUNDREDS of times in the past year, I just can't understand why all of a sudden the last half dozen recording won't seem to convert.

Archived