My Dvd 8 Quality And Support

pbc

Question

Hi,

I have Roxio MyDVD Premier 8 and and not very pleased with it to be honest. I don't see software updates

available. Is MyDVD something that is not actively supported by Roxio? I see they have version 10, but am unwilling to

buy it given my experience with 8. I really am unable to create a very simple DVD without problems. The program often

exits with an error when i try any non standard path. (Remove a movie that I added)

The other problem I see is with menu traversal. The DVD I burn will have movies where within the menu I need to

hit a right arrow to go the next item sometimes and other times the down arrrow. (Is this just a property on the menu item

that i have set incorrectly?)

I would also like the entire DVD to play all the movies without having to select a menu item. Is this something I need

to add to the main menu? Is it a function of the style I chose when creating the DVD?

I realize this product has been out for a while. I've been capturing and copy video tapes and am just getting to the

DVD burn phase.

pbc

4 answers to this question

Hi,

I have Roxio MyDVD Premier 8 and and not very pleased with it to be honest. I don't see software updates

available. Is MyDVD something that is not actively supported by Roxio? I see they have version 10, but am unwilling to

buy it given my experience with 8. I really am unable to create a very simple DVD without problems. The program often

exits with an error when i try any non standard path. (Remove a movie that I added)

The other problem I see is with menu traversal. The DVD I burn will have movies where within the menu I need to

hit a right arrow to go the next item sometimes and other times the down arrrow. (Is this just a property on the menu item

that i have set incorrectly?)

I would also like the entire DVD to play all the movies without having to select a menu item. Is this something I need

to add to the main menu? Is it a function of the style I chose when creating the DVD?

I realize this product has been out for a while. I've been capturing and copy video tapes and am just getting to the

DVD burn phase.

pbc

Hi pbc,

MyDVD 8 Premier may be a limited OEM version of the software. Did you buy it as an OEM or did it come with your computer or other piece of hardware? If it is an OEM; many of the functions are disabled. You get enough to do the basics and it teases you into buying a full version. Also because it is an OEM, there are no updates from Roxio. You may want to check with your computer manufacturer (if you got the software that way) to see what they can do for you Additionally EMC (Easy Media Creator) 8 or MyDVD 8 (any versions) were the worst of the versions back to 7.0.

Since you probably have the OEM version, you will have very little control over the navigation. Also, you will screw up the navigation royally if you try to move the movies around much.

Depending on the background, and how many movies you add, I think the default is

1 3 5

2 4 6

or something similar.

There are a couple of tricks to adding the movies and having them all play (or play all function). When you are ready to all your movies, click the add button and then use your keyboard control (CTRL-Enter) to select all the movies you want in the order you want them played. You may also be able to create a "play all" button in addition to the individual movie buttons. See the Tips and Tricks area of EMC 9 for more information

The problem of crashing may be tied to your computer's video card. When you open My DVD, go to the top menu and select tools, options and put a dot next to software if it is not already there. Now would also be a good time to update your video card/chip drivers. If you post the information on the card/chip, we can help you find the updates.

Please post back with the information about the OEM version and your computer specifications. The more information, the better.

By the way, there is a 30 day trial version of EMC 9 lower on these forums. You may want to try that if your computer is robust enough to handle it. EMC 10 is the latest version designed for Vista and to facilitate interactions between the computer and mobile devices (cell phones, mp3 players, etc.) If you will not want to do a lot of that type of transfer, you might want to go to the 9 version. Since it is an older version, you may get some good deals.

Hi Steve,

I sure hope not. I had had the free version but paid to get the real version and downloaded it over the net. I have

a pentium 4 2 Ghz, with 1 Gig of memory running Windows XP Home SP 2. Hmm, is there a way to check if I have a

valid license installed?

The OS doesn't crash, just MyDVD and then I can't start it as it says it is already running. I have what I thought was

a reasonable video card; NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 and recently got the latest drivers from them. I will try the

software, option thanks.

Is the trial version of EMC 9.0 the same as the real? I'm not keen on forking over more money unless I'm sure I

will like it.

Thanks for your help,

pbc

Hi pbc,

MyDVD 8 Premier may be a limited OEM version of the software. Did you buy it as an OEM or did it come with your computer or other piece of hardware? If it is an OEM; many of the functions are disabled. You get enough to do the basics and it teases you into buying a full version. Also because it is an OEM, there are no updates from Roxio. You may want to check with your computer manufacturer (if you got the software that way) to see what they can do for you Additionally EMC (Easy Media Creator) 8 or MyDVD 8 (any versions) were the worst of the versions back to 7.0.

Since you probably have the OEM version, you will have very little control over the navigation. Also, you will screw up the navigation royally if you try to move the movies around much.

Depending on the background, and how many movies you add, I think the default is

1 3 5

2 4 6

or something similar.

There are a couple of tricks to adding the movies and having them all play (or play all function). When you are ready to all your movies, click the add button and then use your keyboard control (CTRL-Enter) to select all the movies you want in the order you want them played. You may also be able to create a "play all" button in addition to the individual movie buttons. See the Tips and Tricks area of EMC 9 for more information

The problem of crashing may be tied to your computer's video card. When you open My DVD, go to the top menu and select tools, options and put a dot next to software if it is not already there. Now would also be a good time to update your video card/chip drivers. If you post the information on the card/chip, we can help you find the updates.

Please post back with the information about the OEM version and your computer specifications. The more information, the better.

By the way, there is a 30 day trial version of EMC 9 lower on these forums. You may want to try that if your computer is robust enough to handle it. EMC 10 is the latest version designed for Vista and to facilitate interactions between the computer and mobile devices (cell phones, mp3 players, etc.) If you will not want to do a lot of that type of transfer, you might want to go to the 9 version. Since it is an older version, you may get some good deals.

Hi Steve,

I sure hope not. I had had the free version but paid to get the real version and downloaded it over the net. I have

a pentium 4 2 Ghz, with 1 Gig of memory running Windows XP Home SP 2. Hmm, is there a way to check if I have a

valid license installed?

The OS doesn't crash, just MyDVD and then I can't start it as it says it is already running. I have what I thought was

a reasonable video card; NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 and recently got the latest drivers from them. I will try the

software, option thanks.

Is the trial version of EMC 9.0 the same as the real? I'm not keen on forking over more money unless I'm sure I

will like it.

Thanks for your help,

pbc

Re: Trial version is 95% of full version. I know it doesn't have Drag to disc (that's good) but I don't know what else is missing perhaps Bias Sound Soap and maybe somes other that I can't remember. Video Wave for creating slide shows and video editing and My DVD are not limited versions but I don't think all the transitions are available and not all the MyDVD menus are available.

If you bought the My DVD program, then I suspect that most of the problems are with that video chip so software render should help.

I don't remember all the versions of V8 but I do know that the "less expensive versions of EMC 8 did not have all the functions that were unlocked in the Deluxe version. That is for the EMC 8; I don't know anything about My DVD 8.

BTW, update Microsoft's DirectX 9c if you haven't recently. Also if you ca, use the NVidia program to set the chip to best performance and away from best appearance and set the 3D settings to product or software controlled if you can.

Archived