• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Error -39 While Writing A Tivo Conversion

AllNamesTaken

Question

I have updated to 8.0.4 since I was one with Tivo audio/video sync issues. I have not been able to even see if my sync problems are resolved. I tested by saving as disc image rather than burning a disc. At the end of the write I get an error message 'The file "VTS_01_2.VOB" could not be accessed. (Data fork, -39)'. I click OK and get the next pop-up error message 'Couldn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS Error. Result Code = -39'.

Things I have tried: (1) different Tivo shows, (2) reinstall of Toast, (3) complete erase of Toast and associated files and then reinstall after repairing permissions, (4) changing encode settings, (5) trying to convert a 8 MB .mov file instead of a Tivo (this worked fine, creating a valid disc image)

I am running OS X 10.4.11 on a Dual G4 450 MHz Mac. All software is up to date through the "Software Update...". The permissions are all fixed and the disk has been verified with Disk Utility. My Tivo is a Series 2 DT and the files I've tried to burn were recorded after the Tivo Fall 2007 update.

Thanks for any help! Sounds like I'm still having problems with the Tivo files and it isn't the OS.

24 answers to this question

I'm trying #1 as I type. Will post but I don't have any great hopes. Maybe we should write a job description and see if they will hire someone that can fix the problem.

Kaloskie

Didn't work. I'm wondering if the issue is dead as far as Roxio is concerned or if they are really working on it.

Kaloskie

This just in from Roxio Tech support:

Roxio is aware of this issue and currently working on a solution. In the mean time I want you to try two things. You can also reinstall an earlier version of Toast using your original installation media.

1) Disable verification.

Click recorder > recorder settings > advanced > uncheck verify data

Burn your DVD.

2) Create your DVD project and then click File -> Save Disc Image, if this creates the image correctly then burn it to a disc using Burn Image.

I've tried this using Toast 8.04 (I did not re-install Toast before trying this) and I was finally able to successfully write a disk image!

jd

This sucks. Burning Tivo files was the only reason I bought Toast 8, and it's the one thing that it doesn't do. I feel like I should get my $80 back. I've been waiting about a year to get this fixed. What's up Roxio? Where is my fix?

I'm going to have to fall back to Toast 8.0

We are working on it. We hope to have a 9.0.3 update out soon that resolves many of the TiVo issues that have been reported.

What about for Toast 8 users? This particular problem seems to be specific to 8.0.4. Will there be an 8.0.5 update too?

Sorry for the long delay here........

I have given up on getting anything useful from Roxio customer support. I asked several time for the ability to downgrade back to 8.03 as the only issue I ever had there was with audio sync. Repeated requests for 8.03 have just gotten a reply similart to this one:

Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

The 8.0.4 should work well on your system for Tivo. To attempt to install it, first remove all Roxio Toast software, and then only install the 8.0.4, using your current cdkey.

Yeah.... you explain it doesn't work and they say it should....... nice!

My solution was to uninstall Toast and re-install back to 8.0 off the CD. I now have other errors that were *fixed* by going to 8.03 but at least I can convert tivo files.

Seif

Same problem here.

Running latest version of Tiger on a MacBook (PowerPC version). Toast version is 8.0.4.

Transferred a movie from Tivo about a month ago (it's gone from the Tivo, so I can't try another transfer). Video plays fine with the Tivo Video Player. Trying to burn a DVD, it goes for a while, then I get "The file VTS_01_4.VOB could not be accessed (Data fork, -39)" followed by "Couldn't complete the last command because of a MacOS Error Result Code = -39".

Any ideas anyone?

TIA.

Have you opened a ticket with tech support? I did at the time of my first post and they suggested a complete erase and reinstall (even after I said I already tried that). I tried it again and still get the same error. For testing purposes, I installed on my G4 PowerBook running Tiger. I get the same error there. It sounds like Toast 8.0.4 has a problem with Tiger and/or the G4 processor (the common traits of our three machines).

i wonder if anyone has seen this problem with Tivo files when not running Tiger on a G4?

Same problem here.

Running latest version of Tiger on a MacBook (PowerPC version). Toast version is 8.0.4.

Transferred a movie from Tivo about a month ago (it's gone from the Tivo, so I can't try another transfer). Video plays fine with the Tivo Video Player. Trying to burn a DVD, it goes for a while, then I get "The file VTS_01_4.VOB could not be accessed (Data fork, -39)" followed by "Couldn't complete the last command because of a MacOS Error Result Code = -39".

Any ideas anyone?

TIA.

Have you opened a ticket with tech support? I did at the time of my first post and they suggested a complete erase and reinstall (even after I said I already tried that). I tried it again and still get the same error. For testing purposes, I installed on my G4 PowerBook running Tiger. I get the same error there. It sounds like Toast 8.0.4 has a problem with Tiger and/or the G4 processor (the common traits of our three machines).

i wonder if anyone has seen this problem with Tivo files when not running Tiger on a G4?

Same exact problem. Tivo files, etc. I am running an Intel C2D and Leopard though. I have opened a ticket

and requested a link to download 8.03 but have not gotten a reply. The first reply was that 8.04 should work :angry:

Seif

I just ran into the same issue on my Mac Pro in Leopard. This lack of decent support is frustrating. In addition to the fact that I just wasted a DVD, since I didn't do a disc image first, I have also run into trouble with the export.

In the past (after the 8.0.3 update) I was able to finally start using the TiVoToGo functionality that was the reason that I bought Toast in the first place. The trouble that I had is when I had a batch of files to export for my iPod, the last one in my list would have annoying sync issues with the audio/video.

Now it looks like that when I export for iPod that it just doesn't want to export the last item in my list. It hangs and doesn't want to progress. Now, instead of the audio/video sync problems, I have straight up errors in the application. Perhaps this is a ploy to make me feel like maybe the sync issues weren't that bad after all. This is incredibly frustrating. By the way, My OS version is 10.5.2, which is currently the latest available from Apple.

I'm having the same problem. I'm sure that the problem is with Toast 8.04 but their tech people don't know what to do and there help is a joke. They need to hire someone that can fix Toast since they don't seem to have anyone on staff that can. Anyone know a high school nerd looking for a job?

kaloskie

Thanks for the update, John..

The only reason I bought this was for the TiVO support. If that cannot be adequately provided in the current version, I expect either a free upgrade to a version of the software that behaves as it should (no matter *what* version it is) or a full refund!

Just my $0.02

Has anyone confirmed yet whether Toast 9 addresses the error -39 issues?

This just in from Roxio Tech support:

Roxio is aware of this issue and currently working on a solution. In the mean time I want you to try two things. You can also reinstall an earlier version of Toast using your original installation media.

1) Disable verification.

Click recorder > recorder settings > advanced > uncheck verify data

Burn your DVD.

2) Create your DVD project and then click File -> Save Disc Image, if this creates the image correctly then burn it to a disc using Burn Image.

I've tried this using Toast 8.04 (I did not re-install Toast before trying this) and I was finally able to successfully write a disk image!

jd

Just tried 2) and got identical error. :(

I'm trying 1) now, fingers crossed! :)

-=Tim=-

I have figured out a work around to this issue, since I am also stuck with the -39 error. I ended up converting my TiVo files to Quicktime MPG4's and then bringing them back into Toast to burn. What a pain in the butt. To think that I keep getting upgrade nag emails from Roxio. Even though I'd like their editing functionality-not gonna do it. I've been too upset by the fact that they can't seem to get it right. What's worse is that they had a fix that they claimed got it right and it broke it even worse and now we haven't even heard from them for 2 months. Not Cool!

Just tried 2) and got identical error. :(

I'm trying 1) now, fingers crossed! :)

-=Tim=-

I'm trying #1 as I type. Will post but I don't have any great hopes. Maybe we should write a job description and see if they will hire someone that can fix the problem.

Kaloskie

I don't have confirmation on that yet, so I don't want to say one way or the other.

Thanks for the update, John..

The only reason I bought this was for the TiVO support. If that cannot be adequately provided in the current version, I expect either a free upgrade to a version of the software that behaves as it should (no matter *what* version it is) or a full refund!

Just my $0.02

This is so frustrating. Seif, did they ever respond to your ticket? After having a whole slew of issues, I went back to 8.0, got TiVo Transfer back, but couldn't burn anything at all. Today, I uninstalled (again), reinstalled, updated to 804, and got a disc to burn, but then got the same -39 error. Except this time, my DVD player then opened and started playing the disc, despite the fact that it was still hung up in the Toast writing window. Just tested it on my normal (non-computer) DVD player, and it seems to work just fine.

I'm so confused.

I am having the same problem. I installed the 8.0.4 update, started getting the -39 error, did a complete uninstall of Toast, and started back from scratch with my 8.0 disk after reading about so many problems with the updates. Now TiVo transfer won't even open (it's installed, but when I double click it or select it from the extras menu, it acts as if it's opening it, but then does not). Any ideas? I have a MacBook (10.4.11).

Thanks.

Archived