Avchd Mts -> Aif -> Imovie08

Ed Beshore

Question

Hi -

I have a dual processor PowerMac, Toast 9, Voltaic, and iMovie 08. I have had some stability problems with Voltaic, and am hoping that I can transcode the MTS files from my Sony video camera to a form that iMovie will import and recognize. (iMovie will handle this on an Intel machine, but I am stuck with my PowerMac for now.)

Problem is, I can't seem to set Toast up with the right settings such that iMovie will recognize the files for import. Have tried Quicktime movie, with the Apple Intermediate CODEC, using the "current" frame rate and "other" compressor, and compressor native for size. I have also twiddled to other settings, but the number of possible permutations could keep me guessing for a long time.

Has anyone been successful at producing a transcoded AVCHD file in Toast that iMovie 08 will recognize?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

2 answers to this question

Hi -

I have a dual processor PowerMac, Toast 9, Voltaic, and iMovie 08. I have had some stability problems with Voltaic, and am hoping that I can transcode the MTS files from my Sony video camera to a form that iMovie will import and recognize. (iMovie will handle this on an Intel machine, but I am stuck with my PowerMac for now.)

Problem is, I can't seem to set Toast up with the right settings such that iMovie will recognize the files for import. Have tried Quicktime movie, with the Apple Intermediate CODEC, using the "current" frame rate and "other" compressor, and compressor native for size. I have also twiddled to other settings, but the number of possible permutations could keep me guessing for a long time.

Has anyone been successful at producing a transcoded AVCHD file in Toast that iMovie 08 will recognize?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Ed, I also need the answer to your question. I think we have a similar issue. My 1.42 ghz powermac G4 will not acknowledge my attached SONY avchd camcorder with a hard drive. Intel Macs will see my camera and import the footage. into iMovie 08. I've read that one can drag clips from im08 into im06HD for editing. I'm looking for a workaround to get my SONY footage into iMovie 06HD. I read about the instability problems with Voltaic, so that's why I'm in this forum to see if Toast will make my mac see my camera and import the footage.

Archived