How To Burn Files Larger Than 4gb?

milleron

Question

I think I've seen an answer to my question on this forum previously, but I forget the details and can no longer find it.

I want to burn Ghost image files to a DVD+RW. The files are created as 4.37 GB so that they will fit on a DVD. However when I try to copy them to DVD with Creator 7.5, it says I can't use files larger than 4GB. I know this is possible because I've done it in the past, but I cannot discover the setting that allows it.

Any help appreciated. TIA

Ron

5 answers to this question

I think I've seen an answer to my question on this forum previously, but I forget the details and can no longer find it.

I want to burn Ghost image files to a DVD+RW. The files are created as 4.37 GB so that they will fit on a DVD. However when I try to copy them to DVD with Creator 7.5, it says I can't use files larger than 4GB. I know this is possible because I've done it in the past, but I cannot discover the setting that allows it.

Ron

Most likely your hard drive is FAT32 and you'll need to go to NTFS to work with files larger than 4GB.

Ron

Huh? You burn a Ghost image file to a DVD, from within Ghost, itself. I have no clue what you are talking about.

If you are talking about making a backup copy of your ghosted image file, use Disc Copier to copy the Ghost DVD to another DVD.

Huh? You burn a Ghost image file to a DVD, from within Ghost, itself. I have no clue what you are talking about.

If you are talking about making a backup copy of your ghosted image file, use Disc Copier to copy the Ghost DVD to another DVD.

No, I didn't say that I burn Ghost DVDs from within Ghost. I simply want to copy the image file to a DVD+RW for off-site storage.

If you use Classic you have to change the File System (File – Project Settings) to UDF, No Bridge and turn off Validate.

This eliminates the Joliet restrictions.

THAT took care of it! It's working fine. Thanks a million.

Ron

No, I didn't say that I burn Ghost DVDs from within Ghost. I simply want to copy the image file to a DVD+RW for off-site storage.

THAT took care of it! It's working fine. Thanks a million.

Ron

Er ... DVD/RW ??

I would think for backup you would want to use media that didn't fade out on its own.

If you want to KEEP the data, NEVER use RW media. It's ok for short-term things like testing, or if you have no other way to transfer files from one computer to another, but using RW media when you don't have the orignal files safe somewhere else, is a good way to permantly lose the data.

Use R (record-once) media - and anyway, it's cheaper.

Lynn

Archived