Perplexing Encoding/image Creation Problem

dbacksfanbrian

Question

I first reported this issue and believed it to be a burning issue. I erroneously thought I had successfully previewed the DVD about to be burned to an image file in MyDVD and it worked fine. After making a couple coasters (they would play but no one in their right mind would watch) I meticulously created a new project, put the same two TV show sements into a menu, created chapters but not chapter menus, and sure enough, in the second show, I find frequent, intermittent, video distortion/pixelation.

I bring the .tivo files down from my DVR. I've used DirectShow Dump to convert them to .mpg and then used that output as input to my project in MyDVD. I have now also started using VideoRedo to zap out the commercials.

I am wondering if either DirectShow Dump or VideoRedo is doing something to the .mpg that MyDVD doesn't know how to encode/handle and it shows up as distortion. I am in the process of bringing down a clean copy of the same show and allowing MyDVD to encode directly from its .tivo state. That might prove whether or not DirectShow Dump or VideoRedo are somehow corrupting/introducing a wildcard MyDVD can't handle.

What is hard to comprehend is that even after using both DirectShow Dump and VideoRedo, I can watch that .mpg using WMP and it plays perfectly. Yet when it gets encoded in MyDVD it gets distorted/pixelated at the same spots in the show.

Any suggestions gurus? This scenario did not occur when I was using my old Dell P4 2.6 with 1.2 GB of RAM and EMC 9. But I am having difficulty pinpointing the trouble.

4 answers to this question

I do see the video playing while the image is being created.

Pulled a new copy of the .tivo file. It gets interpreted by MyDVD as DVD-compliant. Created an image that had no distortion. Took the same .tivo file and processed it using VideoRedo to remove the commercials. It too was interpreted by MyDVD as DVD-compliant and the result was a distortion-free image.

Not sure exactly what happened but you know the saying, GIGO! Thanks for the comment about the preview screen showing either the actual video (not-DVD compliant) or the gray MPG screen (DVD-compliant). Got me thinking about it in a new way so I could resolve the problem.

Thank you!

Just an aside.I've used VideoReDo for a while to edit out commercials and have never had a problem with MyDVD using the resulting file.The video always comes out just fine.

I think you'll like VideoReDo,I find it much easier to remove commercials using it than using VideoWave.

MyDVD should not re-encode any MPEG 2 files that is already DVD compliant. When you are in the burn dialog box, do you see the video the tiny preview or do you see a gray preview with the word MPEG?

If you see the video in the preview, then myDVD is encoding. If you see the gray preview, it is not.

MyDVD should not re-encode any MPEG 2 files that is already DVD compliant. When you are in the burn dialog box, do you see the video the tiny preview or do you see a gray preview with the word MPEG?

If you see the video in the preview, then myDVD is encoding. If you see the gray preview, it is not.

I do see the video playing while the image is being created.

Archived