• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Ever Wish You Hadn't Bought Toast 9 ?

colboy

Question

17 answers to this question

I haven't had any of the installation or other issues associated with this product. That being said I'm still encoding my first BD-R. I hope I didn't speak too soon. I will share all my experiences with this community in the hopes it can help others. I run a MacPro system with FC2. I use a LaCie D2 external BD recorder. I'm running Tiger OS 10.? Everything looks solid so far. I deleted my previous versions of Toast (7 & 8) and installed 9 from a physical CD. The HD-plug-in was downloaded as a zip file, burned to a CD and copied to my Mac. As a rule I don't plug in my MacPro to the Internet. I learned long ago that video editing systems don't mix very well with the web.

BTW if there's anyone else on this site from the old Matrox Forum give me a holler. I converted from PC to Mac a long time ago and swear by it.

Freecam

To answer the question: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm now very glad I bought Toast 9 (physical CD) with the HD Plug-in. I've had nothing but success since buying the

product which is a very rare thing in this business. I burned my very first Blu-ray DVD with no issues to speak of. I then burned my first DVD-R with a Blu-ray HD file on it with no issues (second trial). The first time I tried that I set the data rate too high (my fault) so the regular DVD-Rs just don't read well at 26 mbs but they do at around 15 mbs data rate. I'm sorry to see so many people having problems but I'm getting the feeling most users are doing just fine and not saying anything. If there's anything I can do to help those with problems just give me a call.

Freecam

I wish I never heard of Toast 9. I had a perfectly functioning copy of Toast 8 and bought 9 solely for the advertised ability to "capture streaming audio". So far, I have been unable to make it work.

The User Guide includes absolutely no instructions on this major new feature. Technical support has provided no useful help either. Apparently, there are no detailed instructions available anywhere for this. They offered 2 suggestions, which were no help, and I had already tried them. They asked for my system info to help them troubleshoot the problem more completely. It's now been 10 days and they still aren't responding.

To add insult to injury, I now have received an e-mail from the rebate center indicating that my rebate was denied because I bought Toast 9 from an "invalid purchase location". I purchased it from Mac Mall, one of the sellers listed in the title of the rebate.

What kind of company is this??? Obviously, customer service and satisfaction are not a priority for them.

I wish I never heard of Toast 9. I had a perfectly functioning copy of Toast 8 and bought 9 solely for the advertised ability to "capture streaming audio". So far, I have been unable to make it work.

The User Guide includes absolutely no instructions on this major new feature. Technical support has provided no useful help either. Apparently, there are no detailed instructions available anywhere for this. They offered 2 suggestions, which were no help, and I had already tried them. They asked for my system info to help them troubleshoot the problem more completely. It's now been 10 days and they still aren't responding.

To add insult to injury, I now have received an e-mail from the rebate center indicating that my rebate was denied because I bought Toast 9 from an "invalid purchase location". I purchased it from Mac Mall, one of the sellers listed in the title of the rebate.

What kind of company is this??? Obviously, customer service and satisfaction are not a priority for them.

Sorry about all the trouble. I can't help with anything other than possibly the streaming audio issue. What have you tried? The process is to launch CD Spin Doctor and choose "Install Audio Capture Support..." from the CD Spin Doctor menu. After that one of the options in the Spin Doctor input list is "CD Spin Doctor Capture Support." Select that and you're under way.

Oh good, as I have just thrown away another 5 dvds!

On the last 2 burns they have got to about 98% before coming up with this error "the file vts 031 vob could not be accessed (data fork-39)"

At least it makes a change from the usual crash.

Ok, this is very odd.

I was running 8.04 and getting a very similar error when trying to save a tivo file as a disc image.

"The file VTS_01_4.VOB could not be accessed (data fork-39)"

I never successfully saved a tivo file and am now trying to go back to 8.03 and facing resistance

from Roxio who have responded that 8.04 should work.

Seif

Sorry about all the trouble. I can't help with anything other than possibly the streaming audio issue. What have you tried? The process is to launch CD Spin Doctor and choose "Install Audio Capture Support..." from the CD Spin Doctor menu. After that one of the options in the Spin Doctor input list is "CD Spin Doctor Capture Support." Select that and you're under way.

I did that and I am not under way. There is no sign of CD Spin Doctor Capture Support in input. Any other suggestions?

I did that and I am not under way. There is no sign of CD Spin Doctor Capture Support in input. Any other suggestions?

You chose "Install Audio Capture Support" yet the option doesn't appear in Spin Doctor, correct? It also should appear in the Sound panel of System Preferences when you click the Input tab.

Try installing it this way: Control-click on CD Spin Doctor and choose Show Package Contents. Open the Content folder and then open the Resources Folder. Double-click on CDSDAudioCaptureSupport.mpkg to launch the installer. After doing this does it appear? If not, try restarting your Mac. If it still isn't there then something is blocking it from working which suggests to me there is some maintenance that needs to be done on your OS. Run DiskWarrior if you have it.

If you still have a drive with OS 10.4.11 and Toast 7.1.2 on it I have found that it still works (with EyeTV 2.5.2) reliably.

So far I have to say that Toast 9.x is unusable on a regular basis on either of my G4s with OS 10.5.2.

Would anyone who has not filed a report please do so at https://selfsupport.roxio.com and support@eyetv.com.

El Gato also has a forum, but filing a report with tech support would help them and Roxio get a better idea of what is causing all the problems and that it is not an isolated problem.

The crashes I have encountered have been either an invalid address or else a kernel protection fault. I have run all manner of tests on both machines to exclude various items. Even when it is not crashing, there are terrible slowdowns and corruptions of the files when Toast writes them (not all are corrupted though). Some files even go from 3.6 GB to something larger than 4.38 GB (the capacity of a SL disc) which is an interesting failure mode to say the least!

You can stick the ruined DVDs in a microwave for four or five seconds. It makes an interesting pattern (and makes them unreadable) which you can then hang in a mobile. :rolleyes:

Oh good, as I have just thrown away another 5 dvds!

On the last 2 burns they have got to about 98% before coming up with this error "the file vts 031 vob could not be accessed (data fork-39)"

At least it makes a change from the usual crash.

So what's happening that's ending in a failed burn? At what point does it go wrong? Have you tried saving as disc image and then burning that to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window? Have you tried different brands or types of DVD media? I have not yet had one failed burn with Toast 9.

So what's happening that's ending in a failed burn? At what point does it go wrong? Have you tried saving as disc image and then burning that to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window? Have you tried different brands or types of DVD media? I have not yet had one failed burn with Toast 9.

I bought toast 9 to work with eyetv, When I add recorded programs with eyetv and then burn it sometimes crashes at the first phase, sometimes at the writing phase, I then have to reboot to get the dvd out.

As it crashes at different parts of the process, I have no confidence that it will burn a dvd until the very end of the process.

I bought toast 9 to work with eyetv, When I add recorded programs with eyetv and then burn it sometimes crashes at the first phase, sometimes at the writing phase, I then have to reboot to get the dvd out.

As it crashes at different parts of the process, I have no confidence that it will burn a dvd until the very end of the process.

I agree with you colboy. Our job is not to Beta test and figure out work arounds for software thats supposed to be production and paid for. Thats the reason I reverted back to Toast 8 until the dust settles with Toast 9. DVD media is cheap but the coins start adding up when you have to go though a half a dozen disc to get one good burn. The problem for me was so erratic. I first thought that 9.02 was the problem so I reverted to 9.01. After a few good burns, the problem showed up in 9.01. I'll stick with 8.04 until the next release of 9.

I haven't had any of the installation or other issues associated with this product. That being said I'm still encoding my first BD-R. I hope I didn't speak too soon. I will share all my experiences with this community in the hopes it can help others. I run a MacPro system with FC2. I use a LaCie D2 external BD recorder. I'm running Tiger OS 10.? Everything looks solid so far. I deleted my previous versions of Toast (7 & 8) and installed 9 from a physical CD. The HD-plug-in was downloaded as a zip file, burned to a CD and copied to my Mac. As a rule I don't plug in my MacPro to the Internet. I learned long ago that video editing systems don't mix very well with the web.

BTW if there's anyone else on this site from the old Matrox Forum give me a holler. I converted from PC to Mac a long time ago and swear by it.

Freecam

Archived