Toast 9.02 Burned 16:9 Video As 4:3 On Blu-ray Disk

Ivo

Question

Toast 9.02 burned 16:9 video as 4:3 on Blu-ray disk:

Yesterday I downloaded the new Toast 9 update (version 9.02).

What I noticed the HD video bug is fixed, when burning to Blu-ray (Big thanks to Roxio development team!)

However, all my 16:9 format AVCHD video, which I burned onto Blu-ray disk with my MBP, gets displayed as 4:3, and everything appears as be "squeezed" from sides on my Samsung Blu-ray player.

Ended up wasting another 18$ BD disk (one before with version 9.01 HD bug)

Just FYI:

When I burned the same EXACT video on regular DVD (in AVCHD format) using Sony's application which came with my SONY camera - works fine in 16:9 format.

Too bad Sony does not support Mac and Blu-ray drives yet.

Any of you guys experienced the same issue?

6 answers to this question

I have burned 16x9 avchd files fine.

My source file was an .mts file made on a Sony CX7 cam - I made a dvd-r hi def disc that played back properly on my PS3.

Double check your settings... also try converting your .mts file to a mp4 file like iphone video in the conversion section and see what kind of ratio it makes....

Toast 9 has been very good with avchd files except I still cannot figure out how to cut and paste but it has made discs and conversions fine so far...

Same problem here. I have a POOR WORKAROUND if you HAVE to have a widescreen Blu-Ray NOW.

Use Toast to export your 1440x1080 footage to Quicktime format - compression NONE, size 1920x1080, audio LOSSLESS. It takes forever and makes a BIG file.

Use this new file as source for BD video and the result is a Blu-Ray video with correct aspect ratio. However there seem to be a LOT of extra artifacts and a loss of clarity.

I'd suggest trying it on a short clip first.

Any better suggestions welcome.

I've had exactly the same problem. I have a number of test clips shot in different formats. The DVCPRO HD clips which are stored on P2 at 960x540 (720p and 1080i) work fine. The AVCHD clips I shot were stored on DV tape at 1440x1080. Toast doesn't seem to recognize their pixel aspect and pillar boxes when it compresses them. The same thing happens to my XDCAM HD clips stored on XDCAM disc at 1440x1080 (both 30p and 60i). QuickTime recognizes and displays all these clips correctly. I think this is a simple problem of Toast needing to be told that 1440x1080 files should be compressed to 1920x1080 H.264.

I have to correct something above. The clips I said were AVCHD are actually HDV (MPEG-2 variant) as opposed MPEG-4 used for AVCHD. The pixel aspect is the same with a 16:9 image stored at 1440x1080.

I tried about 4 discs yesterday with the same 4:3 results. I use final cut express and build a quicktime movie and it plays fine at 16:9 in quicktime but 4:3 on my blu-ray players.

I even setup Toast to produce 16:9 and the results are still 4:3.

What codec is it looking for?

I tried about 4 discs yesterday with the same 4:3 results. I use final cut express and build a quicktime movie and it plays fine at 16:9 in quicktime but 4:3 on my blu-ray players.

I even setup Toast to produce 16:9 and the results are still 4:3.

What codec is it looking for?

I just got my physical copy of Toast 9 with HD plug-in. I'll let you know if I have the same problem. I played it by the book and checked all the settings including aspect ratio. I use MPG-2. I have a Samsung BDP1400 player which apparently doesn't accept BD-R or BD-RE even with the firmware update (bummer). I will volunteer all my experiences with this community. I guess I'm a guinea pig too.

On another note I complained to LaCie that they shouldn't have released their external D2 Blu-ray disc recorder with Toast 7. I bought the recorder "assuming" everything was included to make Bluray DVDs. I was wrong. They should at least have posted a disclaimer announcing BD was not available with that software.

Freecam

Archived