• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Just Bought Emc10 Via Online Store/download

exgi

Question

Friends, I just bought and downloaded a copy of EMC10 and needed to know if there is a way to burn the two files to a standard cd-r?

I mentioned to the person selling it to me that I did not have a dvd burner, and if that would present a problen when I go to copy the files to a disk and she said it should be fine.

I need sone instructions as to how to make these files copy to a cd-r while being slightly oversized (719 and 738mb's).

Did I make a mistake and should have ordered the full package instead of the electronic download?

I will be thankful for any help offered

11 answers to this question

Friends, I just bought and downloaded a copy of EMC10 and needed to know if there is a way to burn the two files to a standard cd-r?

I mentioned to the person selling it to me that I did not have a dvd burner, and if that would present a problen when I go to copy the files to a disk and she said it should be fine.

I need sone instructions as to how to make these files copy to a cd-r while being slightly oversized (719 and 738mb's).

Did I make a mistake and should have ordered the full package instead of the electronic download?

I will be thankful for any help offered

Well, I'd suggest the person was trying to make a sale. I suppose there's a possibility that you could "zip" the files and they'd come out small enough to fit, but that's questionable at best.

But, when a DVD-RW drive is $35 or $40, what's holding you back from buying one and adding it to your machine? In the meantime, you could buy a 2GB thumb drive for $18 or so and backup your files there.

Classic has the ability to span discs, so it would not be a problem. Unfortunately spanning discs involves a bit of voodoo and those silly enough to use it, are losing data!

There is also the Back On Track that is in the package which is a backup software. More reliable that spanning but it still requires a separate program to recover the files.

Jim, I was avoiding mentioning the Disc Spanning option, just because of what you say above. But, that does remind me that he could use WinZip on the files, and tell it to limit the file size to 700MB, which would create multiple ZIP files. Then WinZip would be the utility to put them back together, rather than disc spanning. So, that would be another option.

Classic has the ability to span discs, so it would not be a problem. Unfortunately spanning discs involves a bit of voodoo and those silly enough to use it, are losing data!

There is also the Back On Track that is in the package which is a backup software. More reliable that spanning but it still requires a separate program to recover the files.

Why couldn't the op extract the .exe to separate folders, Program / Content, using WinZip, WinRAR. Then half each folder in a data disc project keeping a record of the Program / Content splits. Then burn to four CD-R's, two Program, two Content. If a reinstall is needed copy the two CD-R's for each Program / Content to new folders on the pc, then install from those folders? It does get the job done.

cd

Why couldn't the op extract the .exe to separate folders, Program / Content, using WinZip, WinRAR. Then half each folder in a data disc project keeping a record of the Program / Content splits. Then burn to four CD-R's, two Program, two Content. If a reinstall is needed copy the two CD-R's for each Program / Content to new folders on the pc, then install from those folders? It does get the job done.

cd

Yep... another valid option.

Thanks for all the ideas, Im going to just cancel the order and re-buy it as a shipped product.

I feel that I should have been informed when I asked her if it would work,...

but who knows, my fault for not being pushy enough and demanding a straight answer.

Thanks for all the ideas, Im going to just cancel the order and re-buy it as a shipped product.

I feel that I should have been informed when I asked her if it would work,...

but who knows, my fault for not being pushy enough and demanding a straight answer.

That's fine. I hope you have a DVD-ROM drive in your machine because it's distributed on a DVD, not a set of CDs.

Good luck!

Jim, I was avoiding mentioning the Disc Spanning option, just because of what you say above. But, that does remind me that he could use WinZip on the files, and tell it to limit the file size to 700MB, which would create multiple ZIP files. Then WinZip would be the utility to put them back together, rather than disc spanning. So, that would be another option.

Dave: But you implied that the software was falsely represented when in fact it was not! It will do exactly what the salesperson said it would. You choose not to avail yourself of its' features while flaunting a 3rd party software that does exactly the same thing…

He didn't say what the files were but a good example are jpgs and mpegs. You can WinZip them till the cows come home, and won't get any smaller. There are other files that respond the same way.

And in the end there is no difference between requiring a Retrieve.exe or Back on Track or WinZip to extract the files. All are relying on a special program to undo what was done.

It is always better to leave them intact and I have 5 hard drives sitting around on my shelf because even a BD disc won't hold everything!

I just bought and downloaded a copy of EMC10 and needed to know if there is a way to burn the two files to a standard cd-r? I need some instructions as to how to make these files copy to a cd-r while being slightly over sized (719 and 738mb's).

He didn't say what the files were but a good example are jpgs and mpegs.

:wacko:

cd

Dave: But you implied that the software was falsely represented when in fact it was not! It will do exactly what the salesperson said it would. You choose not to avail yourself of its' features while flaunting a 3rd party software that does exactly the same thing…

He didn't say what the files were but a good example are jpgs and mpegs. You can WinZip them till the cows come home, and won't get any smaller. There are other files that respond the same way.

And in the end there is no difference between requiring a Retrieve.exe or Back on Track or WinZip to extract the files. All are relying on a special program to undo what was done.

It is always better to leave them intact and I have 5 hard drives sitting around on my shelf because even a BD disc won't hold everything!

Ah... but in the way you mentioned it, you implied that it is faulty or unreliable. I merely suggested a different way of doing it. :rolleyes: So who is the guiltier?

The files, we were lead to believe, are the install and supplemental data for EMC 10. So, in a loss of system situation, he would need to have EMC 10 installed to recover and install EMC 10. Catch 22? In that case, a third party application would be better, eh? :huh:

In any case, I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, thus my suggestion to get a $35 DVD writer, or the $18 thumb drive.

Archived