Dvd-rw/+rw - Copying Files

Ram4

Question

I recently switched to EZMD 10 from version 8. I am using windows vista business. I have a few problems

1) I can not find "drag and drop". How can set it up

2) I use DVD-RW/+RW for my weekly back of data. Each week I add, delete files/folders to it. I was doing it by using "drag and drop" in EZMD version 8. Since I did not find it, the only option that I canfind is "creator classic". I added a few files / folders on empty DVD-RW. Next time I wanted to add a few more files, but I did not find files that I have added previously. Anyway I added the new ones. The DVD-RW was totally useless after that.

- What is the best way to do my task?

3) is EZMD version vista compatible?

Thanks a million

24 answers to this question

Hello

I did earse the dvd-rw but still it does not workwith creator classic.

Thanks

(1) How did you erase it? What program/process did you use?

(2) What happens when you try to use it with Creator Classic? [error messages, etc]

Hello,

Hello,

I have a dvd-rw that will not let me erase content. I went to properties and unchecked read-only and it gives me an error. So I saw your reply and you mentioned what programs did you use to erase dvd-rw. So can you tell me what programs will erase dvd-rw's? Thanks!

Dick

Any of the Roxio suites will erase a DVD-RW, and so will a myriad other programs.

RAM4 had one which was difficult to erase [happens quite often], and committed the near-unforgiveable sin of fixing it and not telling us how. :(

Thank you very much... It works just fine..

I found that I can NOT use Window explorer formatted disk with Creator classic. Is it possibe to reformat or do something to use it with creator classic?

Explorer formatted disk - I can add file/folder but if a file (in my case was URL) contains foreign characters.. it blocks..

Does anyone knows if EMD version 8 is vista compatible?

Thanks again

If the disc was formatted for Vista then it won't work in Roxio.If it's an RW disc you could erase it and then reuse it.

V8 doesn't work with Vista.The first version that "did" was 9.0.It actually worked better once the 9.1 update came out.

Drag to Disc is no longer part of EMC in version 10. You are much better off using Creator Classic and it's appendable disc function. If you add files to a disc and don't close the disc, the next time you insert the disc, you should see a bubble pop up asking if you want to import the data already on the disc. If you click that button, it will keep the files already on the disc and add (append) the new ones. IMO, this is a much safer method than Drag to Disc.

post-79-1207748104.jpg

I found that I can NOT use Window explorer formatted disk with Creator classic. Is it possibe to reformat or do something to use it with creator classic?

Creator Classic will not use formatted discs. It doesn't matter what you formatted them with.

You need to erase a formatted RW disc before you can use it with Creator Classic.

Regards,

Brendon

[Hello Brendon

If I understand correctly, I can NOT use ezmd10 with cd/dvd RW to erase a file and copy another. It was so simple with previous verion ... just drag and drop.

Does anyone knows if Roxio will give this option back with version 11?

Thanks

[Hello Brendon

If I understand correctly, I can NOT use ezmd10 with cd/dvd RW to erase a file and copy another. It was so simple with previous verion ... just drag and drop.

Thanks

I doubt that "drag to disc" will be back since Vista now includes its own version of this unreliable and troublesome method of burning discs. Just because its simple does not mean that your should use it to burn important data to discs. There have been numerous horror stories of posters who relied on this method and who later discovered that they no longer could read their data.

There is a Packet Writer built into the Vista OS.

If you are willing to risk your data on a Packet Writer then look into that.

But what gpb suggested will NEVER fail you.

Jim, I know you didn't do it on purpose but you just insulted Bruce. :lol:

I'm rather confident that they won't.

If you are really intent on persisting with Drag-to-Disc, despite the warnings, drop me a private message by clicking on my name alongside this post, and selecting 'Send Message'.

I'll tell you how you can run Drag-to-Disc in Vista alongside EMC10, as long as you will promise me not to come back here to complain when it turns around and bites you in a sensitive spot.

Regards,

Brendon

Hello Brendon

I used to format cd rw and copy files and then started using drag and drop. I have been doing this from version 3 without any problems.

I'll try your method of drag and drop to see if it works.

If I format cd/dvd and copy files - will this work with the latest version?

Thanks

Sorry, I did not provide details... I stop reading these posts..

If I delete a file it did not free up the space. Hence I could not add new files.

I used "tools" (erase cd) to delete ALL files

Then added all files

Earlier versons of EZCD did not have this problem.

I am now using USB stick and hence no such problem.

EZMD is getting to complicated and not meeting my needs. When I have time I'll check Nero.

Does anyone know a beter solution

Thanks

You should find the same functionality with the latest version - it should do the same things - but though it should read them, it's unlikely to be able to write to discs formatted with earlier versions. You'll likely have to format your discs afresh.

Regards,

Brendon

Dick,

You might be falling into the same misunderstanding as Ram4 had.

In most standard CD/DVD writing systems "erasing" a file just removes its directory entry from the disc. The space occupied is not recovered for re-use.

When re-using a rewriteable disc you can't normally just delete files and start again, you have to ERASE the disc to re-use it.

There is an alternative method of writing optical discs which is called 'packet-writing'. This uses systems such as Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, Sonic's DLA, or Nero's InCD to specially format optical discs, and then write individual files to them through Windows Explorer. Using some of these software systems, it is possible some times to erase a file and re-use its space.

However packet-writing systems are all different and incompatible with each other, and suffer from so much unreliability that most of us with any experience [and even the one who only used it once] recommend that you stay well away from packet-writing software. Stick with the systems you find in EMC 10. EMC10 no longer carries packet-writing software. It has been dropped from the suite.

Regards,

Brendon

It may be that what you are backing up to an optical disc can easily be replaced.

However, CD-Rs are 20 cents or less by the spindle.

If your CD-RW were to unexpectedly tell you there is nothing on the disc, would it cost more than 20 cents to replace the data (if it can be replaced)?

Lynn

Dick,

You might be falling into the same misunderstanding as Ram4 had.

In most standard CD/DVD writing systems "erasing" a file just removes its directory entry from the disc. The space occupied is not recovered for re-use.

When re-using a rewriteable disc you can't normally just delete files and start again, you have to ERASE the disc to re-use it.

There is an alternative method of writing optical discs which is called 'packet-writing'. This uses systems such as Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, Sonic's DLA, or Nero's InCD to specially format optical discs, and then write individual files to them through Windows Explorer. Using some of these software systems, it is possible some times to erase a file and re-use its space.

However packet-writing systems are all different and incompatible with each other, and suffer from so much unreliability that most of us with any experience [and even the one who only used it once] recommend that you stay well away from packet-writing software. Stick with the systems you find in EMC 10. EMC10 no longer carries packet-writing software. It has been dropped from the suite.

Regards,

Brendon

Some folks learn their lesson, after the first reading. ;):lol:

Archived