Turning Power Off!

cap2587

Question

Wasn't sure which category this question fit into. I am using EMC 10. Is it possible to have the computer automatically shut down after the encoding process (Avi-ISO File) in My DVD is complete. I usually do this at night as it takes a few hrs. However, would rather not have the computer running for hours after this has completed if there is a way to prevent this. I know on some other programs I have there is a way you can set up automatic shut down once download is complete. Any ideas. Thanks

5 answers to this question

There's nothing built into EMC that allows that but you can easily do what you want with free software. I've seen dozens of programs that will work. Here's one I've used in the past and it's free and easy.

Sorry, just noticed it's not free any longer. Still there's lots of other choices you can google for though I doubt you'll find many that offer what Auto Shut Down offers.

Thanks for your reply Beerman! It's a pity that the Auto Shut down website you sent me is now charging for there download. Even if I have this program on my computer, don't I have to know how long the Encoding process is going to last. How long does the encoding last for an AVI file 700 MB. Does it take double the time that the movie goes for. If I am guessing I think it takes around 4 hrs. Doesn't every computer have a shut down option after certain amount of time. What about Hibernate option. Would the encoding stop if the computer went into hibernate.

Google, Results 1 - 10 of about 1,970,000 for Hibernation problems.

I would leave the "Hibernate option" alone. A program to shut the pc down, still leaves the power on. What's the big deal?

How much it costs to run your computer, click here..

To calculate your costs use this formula:

Watts x Hours Used x Cost per kilowatt-hour = Total Cost

For example, let's say you have a big high-end computer with a gaming-level graphics card and an old CRT monitor, and you leave them on 24/7. That's about 330 watts x 24 hours x 365 days/yr = 2,890,800 watt-hours, or 2891 kilowatt-hours. If you're paying $0.14 per kWh, you're paying $405 a year to run your computer.

Let's try a different example: You have a computer that's less of an energy hog, like in iMac G5 20", which uses about 105 watts, and you're smart enough to turn it off when you're not using it. You use it for two hours a day, five days a week. That's ten hours a week, or 520 hours a year. So your 105 watts times 520 hours = 54,600 watt-hours. Divide by 1000 and you have 55 kilowatt-hours (kWh). If you're paying 10¢ per kilowatt-hour, then you're paying $5.50 a year to run your computer

cd

I have had encoding lasting as long as 8 hours.

As to the question of whether to turn it off, although the cost as cd notes is negligible, I wonder if it is better for a computer to have "down time", i.e., less wear and tear, if its off 6 hours or so a day? If so, maybe an automatic shut down might make some sense.

The biggest power user in any computer system is the monitor. I'm a great believer in the 'big round button' screensaver. I don't NEED the monitor to be up and running for things that I know will take time. Turning the monitor manually off is far better than using any screensaver

Just remember to disable the screensaver and power settings in control panel so that the machine won't go into hibernate mode

Wasn't sure which category this question fit into. I am using EMC 10. Is it possible to have the computer automatically shut down after the encoding process (Avi-ISO File) in My DVD is complete. I usually do this at night as it takes a few hrs. However, would rather not have the computer running for hours after this has completed if there is a way to prevent this. I know on some other programs I have there is a way you can set up automatic shut down once download is complete. Any ideas. Thanks

There's nothing built into EMC that allows that but you can easily do what you want with free software. I've seen dozens of programs that will work. Here's one I've used in the past and it's free and easy.

Sorry, just noticed it's not free any longer. Still there's lots of other choices you can google for though I doubt you'll find many that offer what Auto Shut Down offers.

Archived